Author Topic: SWOPE Changes DISCussion  (Read 3181 times)

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
Re: SWOPE Changes DISCussion
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 10:52:04 AM »
What does it mean to me? Practice putting while dogs are barking. Cliff Drive used to have an incinerator for nuisance canines, FYI
espouse elucidation                                               Be excellent to each other

Jerry Patterson

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 04:07:23 PM »
Thanks for the update Jack!

Rob H

• Am Poster
  • The Other Rob H.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 05:46:19 PM »
You would think the Zoo and a pet shelter would go hand in hand (i.e. put it on their space).  But what do I know?

Go visit animals and force people through the shelter before they leave.  Like a gift store.

Anyway, isn't the Zoo already a no kill animal shelter?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 03:42:49 PM by Rob H »
I'd be a lot better at this game if it wasn't for all these dang trees.

Soup

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Check out my Youtube channel for disc golf vids
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2016, 07:49:19 PM »
A permanent Swope Gold? Add the additional holes on the North side?
http://www.youtube.com/user/discgolfer018
jcampbellmortgages@yahoo.com

Douug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 05:12:20 PM »
That's what I suggested yesterday Tracy.

After #13, some technical "down under" holes below the boulders around the hill side coming out to the isiand, then from the island back towards the road either side, and finish up going to #14, which could be the new #17, and then finish back to #18.

Two holes in the woods, #14 and #15, then island hold back towards Swope, #16.

JoeBoy

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2016, 12:25:02 PM »
That's what I suggested yesterday Tracy.

After #13, some technical "down under" holes below the boulders around the hill side coming out to the isiand, then from the island back towards the road either side, and finish up going to #14, which could be the new #17, and then finish back to #18.

Two holes in the woods, #14 and #15, then island hold back towards Swope, #16.

There's not a whole lot of room down there before the train tracks.  I thought of that when I first heard the news.  Maybe it's wider than it looks on the maps, but either way something will get worked out.  :)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 10:03:16 AM »
There's not a whole lot of room down there before the train tracks.  I thought of that when I first heard the news.  Maybe it's wider than it looks on the maps, but either way something will get worked out.  :)

That is correct, and you are spot on with the spacing.  The first and foremost item will be safety, and having anything near the tracks will not be tolerated.

===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Douug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 01:41:23 PM »
Yes I am quite aware of the tracks and being anywhere near there is breaking a Federal law.

Having said that, there should be enough room after playing #13 to create a trail down towards E Gregory Blvd and throw up a technical hole towards the rocky bluffs.

Then walk left towards alternate #13 right (in the woods) and throw another line through the woods, across the road, to the island hole.

Then throw from the parking lot area left of the island hole back towards original #14 tee.

(just some ideas...)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 02:14:05 PM by SteelerDoug »

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 01:43:03 PM »
Yes I am quite aware of the tracks and being anywhere near there is breaking a Federal law.

Having said that, there should be enough room after playing #13 to create a trail down towards E Gregory Blvd and throw up a technical hole towards the rocky bluffs.

Then walk left towards alternate #13 right (in the woods) and throw another line through the woods, across the road, to the island hole.

Then throw from the parking lot area left of the island hole back towards original #14 tee.

(just some ideas...)

The parking lot area will be used by the shelter Doug.  There isn't going to be a massive redesign sending people on a walk through the woods that would risk injury.  Those are band aid approaches.  The time is HOT to strike for a fully new designed course within Swope and have a high level championship caliber course that still will cater to the beginner as well as the top level players.  Adding/subtracting a few here or there isn't the answer that we are currently looking at, but rather a design that will liven the game and be in an environment that hopefully will enamor people for decades just as the existing course has done.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Douug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 02:03:32 PM »
They were just ideas Jack. Geez. Take it easy. I'll shut up from now on on ideas.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 03:16:02 PM »
They were just ideas Jack. Geez. Take it easy. I'll shut up from now on on ideas.

I am not telling ya to shut up, just throwing it out there as to what we are looking at and the scope of it all.

I am uncertain if you remember the loss of 104 trees out there and the course is a barren waste of its former self.

So instead of working towards something to attempt to "salvage" we want to look towards something to grow and enhance and improve.  Change is tough so I am simply trying to give you an idea of the notions that we are currently discussing so you can OPEN up a little and think about possibilities beyond the current.  Swope is HUGE, and this is a GOLD MINE of a chance to make/take a dip in a new area to truly bring in a great course in one of the country's largest urban parks.  I believe that P&R wants to ensure that we have that, and that is why looking beyond the course makes sense.

More of an FYI to you Doug (and others) to give you an idea of the change.  AS I am sure that you aren't the only one thinking about this as well.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 11:10:15 AM »
Just confirmation that Swope will not be impacted the remainder of the year.  It may start Jan 1 2018, but the remainder of this year is not going to be impacted.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Twister66

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 12:10:34 PM »
Just spitballin'...How about over by the old campground?  From the road it looks like some possible "fairways" and trails already exist.  Water and some electricity are already in place. The building just seem to be rotting in place.
Jim Sherwood

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2017, 07:21:05 PM »
Rob Martin
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
https://www.facebook.com/MaverickDiscGolf

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2017, 12:37:51 PM »
Just spitballin'...How about over by the old campground?  From the road it looks like some possible "fairways" and trails already exist.  Water and some electricity are already in place. The building just seem to be rotting in place.

THis is one of the areas that are being discussed as well.  Shelter #7, and shelter #2.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"