Author Topic: Lsdiscs capital city classic c-tier topeka ks may 8th  (Read 2425 times)

lsdiscs

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Lsdiscs capital city classic c-tier topeka ks may 8th
« on: April 16, 2010, 04:12:59 PM »
Capital City Classic C-tier Saturday May 8th

Where: Crestview and Big Shunga, Topeka, KS (Both of these courses are awesome)

Time: Sign in 8-9:30
Players meeting: 9:45
Tee off: 10:00

CTP Prizes!!!

Cost: Open Divisions- $45
Advanced Divisions-$35
Intermediate-$30
Beginner-$25
Ace Fund-$3
*Add $10 for non-PDGA members*

Pre Registration at www.lsdiscs.net

$5 OFF if you register and pay by Thursday May 6th

Contact: Lars Nordgren 785-220-1226 or lsdiscs@sbcglobal.net

lsdiscs

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Lsdiscs capital city classic c-tier topeka ks may 8th
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 01:57:24 PM »
We are already getting pre registrations in so get yours in today at www.lsdiscs.net or by calling me at 785-220-1226 (Lars). We had over 100 people last year and are expecting 120+ this year.

lsdiscs

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 09:56:57 AM »
Both Crestview (gold) and Big Shunga have been set up in the positions they will be in this weekend. The city should be mowing both courses this week to ensure we have beautiful parks. Let's just hope the weather is also beautiful. Hope to see everyone there!

Friday Night Doubles
Big Shunga Park
3-5pm Flex start
BYOP
Open Division $20 per team (cash payout)
Am Division $20 per team (merchandise credit payout)
100% Payout

See everyone this weekend!

lsdiscs

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 10:15:27 AM »
FYI.... I think David mentioned it in the Prostate Cancer Doubles thread, but we are truly sorry for the scheduling conflict.  With having very limited options with the KDGA, as well as the pdga, and on top of that being unaware of the doubles tournament, this was the date selected.  While I can ensure that anyone that comes to Topeka Saturday will have a great time playing great courses, I would also encourage anyone that had originally planned to go to the dubs tourney to do so.  It is not only for a great cause, but it sounds like it would be a blast... I only wish I could attend!!  Either way, you guys will have great options for a great disc golf weekend!

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 10:17:53 AM »
Class at it's best, thanks Lars!
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

jamison99

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
Never would expect anything less from Lance, er I mean Lars and LS Discs!!!

lsdiscs

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 02:26:59 PM »
We will have options at crestview between rounds.  We will be serving up your choice of pulled pork sandwich, or cheeseburger, and also chips and beans.  Cost will be $5 a plate.  The shelter has heat and ac so either way it will be a comfortable place to eat. 

lsdiscs

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 03:16:45 PM »
Both Crestview (gold) and Big Shunga have been set up in the positions they will be in this weekend. The city should be mowing both courses this week to ensure we have beautiful parks. Let's just hope the weather is also beautiful. Hope to see everyone there!

Friday Night Doubles
Crestview 3-6p flex start
3-5pm Flex start
BYOP
Open Division $20 per team (cash payout)
Am Division $20 per team (merchandise credit payout)
100% Payout

See everyone this weekend!

Leo D.

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 06:40:15 PM »
This is the best I've seen these two courses look in a very long time! Hope to see some fellow kc'rs.
iscraft Golf Discs

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 10:34:24 PM »
Hope to see some fellow kc'rs.

Ju Will and some Omahans'....
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

lsdiscs

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 11:16:24 PM »
Courses looked great.  Turnout was good.  I hope everyone enjoyed some Topeka disc golf!  The Topeka Parks and Rec did a hell of a job to cut 12" grass at shunga at the beginning of the week TWICE to rid of the clumps.  LEO IS THE MAN!  He did a hell of a job to get big shunga and crestview in tip top shape.  He spend a LOT of time cleaning up a lot of holes at big shunga and trimming some much needed holes at big shunga.  Congrats to him for the 3rd place finish.  Also congrats to Tank for pulling out the Victory.  A lot of others from the DDDC helped out too and it was much appreciated, and a huge help to get these courses ready for the tourney.  I hope everyone had a great time, enjoyed the company and left with a good impression on the top city courses.  The city is 'all in' to help us in our disc golf efforts, as well as being down to revamp crestview and should be an exciting ride doing so.  Huge thanks to all those that made the trip to attend the tourney.  Hope it was enjoyed. 

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 10:18:09 AM »
had a blast even though my division tried to get me drunk at our extended lunch..... ;D

Well they got me drunk, but not drunk enough!  If only the PDGA would allow alcohol during the round, then they may have had a chance! ;D

Leo you did a great job on the pads at Shunga!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

lsdiscs

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 11:24:16 AM »
The news is there is no new news.  The new parks superintendent is however very open to working with us.  He has given us the go ahead to revamp, or add to crestview.  The gold course, plus edgewater park are the land that is being allowed.  Haven't walked through anything yet, but will soon. 

He did say, that after we finished the projects at crestview we could 'discuss possibilities' of big shunga.  Same problems, even though they really aren't problems, continue to come up.  Parking, and the rich people that live off of holes 1 and 2 object.  Parking would be easy, and we could easily stay away from that row of houses with a few tweaks.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 12:23:45 PM »
IDK, but how many neighborhood associations are there in the area for Shunga?

How many businesses are in the area that feel the effect of disc golf.

Get some of the local sponsors that are in the area to head up to a neighborhood meeting to support the cause.

Parking is obviously an issue there, but that could be rectified if you go to the supermarket over there, it may also lead to a design that includes that area and leaves the NIMBY group satisfied.

IDK, its your city, but a few meetings to ensure that you understand their frustration would be helpful.

Another thing to remember is that the land is NOT THEIRS, its the city's and once you ahev the city on board they make the calls.  Now having their support makes a win-win case, but just because they live near a park does not give them the right to think of it as their own sanctuary, because its not, its the public's demand for better utilization of an underutilized green space that can in turn bring in more revenue dollars yearly through the usage of this land.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

lsdiscs

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 04:18:05 PM »
I agree with everything you posted Jack.  And the park is plenty big to stay out of that row of houses.  I never understood the parking deal considering the Dillons across the street with a trail going under the road.  Or you could use the McDonald Field access and add some wooded holes.  Pretty sure Dillons wouldn't mind people parking there, though, as it would do nothing but promote DGer's to spend their money there.  We aren't done trying for Shunga, but with the Perry course still a work in progress, us having the go ahead to improve on Crestview... well, you can only tackle so much at once.  On a side note, if the county keeps up their lack of generosity, greediness, and unwillingness to work with our club, we may have 18 baskets that need to find a new home somewhere...