Author Topic: Pace of Play  (Read 640 times)

Tracy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Pace of Play
« on: March 15, 2017, 09:43:52 AM »
What does it mean?  If you and your group have fallen behind the group in front of you, thus holding up the entire field behind you, you should be warned by an official. Then you're going to have to run to catch up. Yes, running does qualify as EVERY EFFORT. If you fail to catch up in a reasonable amount of time, each player on the card should be stroked for each hole you remain behind.  Point is;  do not fall behind the group IN FRONT of you and your card.  It is inconsiderate to all the players backing up on holes behind you and thus why it is in the rules and player code of conduct.

3.2 Pace of Play [1]
Last updated: Monday, August 10, 2015 - 16:05     

• All competitors shall play without undue delay and will make every effort to keep up with the group in front of them. Players are required to quickly move from the completion of one hole to the tee area of the next hole. Also, while advancing down the fairway, the player shall not unduly delay play by his or her actions.
  • A player causing undue delays may be issued an excessive time violation by tournament officials. Please see PDGA Rules of Play 804.01B Excessive Time [2] regarding specific penalties.
[1] - http://www.pdga.com/rules/competition-manual/section-3-player-code-conduct/32-pace-of-play
[2] - http://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/804-the-throw/80401-excessive-time 

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
    • View Profile
Re: Pace of Play
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 10:22:32 AM »
Someone doesn't like 5 1/2 hour rounds I see. lol
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

BenC

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 12:17:04 PM »
It is truly maddening to see someone stop to take a picture during the round, with three open holes in front of them, two groups waiting on the tee with a third group walking up to join the wait. But it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks as long as their picture turned out great. Come on Tracy it's not like you gave money to PLAY golf.  Didn't you pay to sit around and watch.

Tracy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 12:47:43 PM »
Someone doesn't like 5 1/2 hour rounds I see. lol

It's mind boggling that it takes over 18 minutes per hole for four players to complete a round.   Try this, get 3 of your buddies together at a course, pick one hole of average length for that course.  Start a stopwatch,  everyone throw, then... crawl...  yes, literally get on your hands and knees and crawl to your disc.  Each player gets up throws and crawls finishing the hole in this manner. Then crawl to the next tee, take scores and finally stop the clock.  I'll bet you finish that 1 hole process  faster than 18 minutes.  Faster,  crawling.  WTF?

MK

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 02:17:52 PM »
I just had this discussion with a person who was on a card that was holding up a tournament I was running.  In my next player meeting, it will be a point of emphasis.
Mike Krueger
KCDFC #1692
PDGA #67309
KCFDC PDGA Traveling League Director

ASchout

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 04:09:51 PM »
When there are cards on all 18 holes for tournaments, the pace of play can only be as fast as the slowest card on the course. When cards are arranged in the 2nd round by scores, this becomes even more of an issue.
KCFDC #1911
PDGA #77818

Tracy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 05:02:22 PM »
When there are cards on all 18 holes for tournaments, the pace of play can only be as fast as the slowest card on the course. When cards are arranged in the 2nd round by scores, this becomes even more of an issue.

I've observed good rated players shooting quite low scores holding up tournament progress. It's not about that 30 second "shot routine."  What's slowing the card down is the stuff they're doing the other 15+ minutes per hole.

So I don't think it's fair to say the players making the most throws throughout a round are typically the slowest on the course.  Sure more throws inherently takes a bit longer. But some extra shots isn't an issue if the group is conscious of their position relative to the group in front of them. The problem is all the diddling around in between shots, not being ready when it's a players turn, dawdling about between holes and taking more than a moment to get scores down and get right up on the next tee, that eventually leads to a cards slow play and falling behind.

Additionally, the clause in the excessive time rule I posted previously is the "reasonable amount of time to arrive at the disc" is totally subjective and thus basically non-enforceable. So you have to rely on the Speed of Play rule in Code of Conduct as what is "falling behind" is less subjective.  However, that rule can only be called by a tournament official, which there may be only one at the event. As such, the TD is unable to effectively marshal the entire course for speed of play.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 05:18:14 PM by Tracy »

Nova

• Pro Poster
  • I meant for it to do that.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 09:16:59 AM »
As someone who moves with a purpose, I could rant about this topic for hours. Dawdling, not having one's sh1t together, spending excessive time counting on one's fingers (and toes) when tallying scores, and the like drive me quite insane. 

Edit: Winston Wolf's wisdom on the topic of moving fast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANPsHKpti48&t=3m40s
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:20:34 AM by Nova »
Nova P. -- PDGA #74995 -- KCFDC #1860

SteelerDoug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 09:34:55 AM »

Tracy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 12:38:57 PM »
https://youtu.be/aCYQ2sEhzjM
Perfect! A melody that's busy busy busy but goes no where, underlined by the monotone drone that is equally non-progressing. 

Ok, so most of the people that play slowly don't realize it.  Just like the song; busy busy busy, but going no where.   How many of you have observed the following in a player?
- They're the last one to arrive at their disc. Usually, well after others on the card have already arrived in the area. (they've already broken the "reasonable amount of time" rule)
- They set their bag down or park their cart 5-10 yards away from their lie. (btw, 30 second clock actually starts now)
- They approach their disc, do an evaluation of their options, then return to their bag to fetch their mini.
- They return with mini in hand and mark their lie. (this is when people think the 30 second clock starts...  wrong,  you're disc is considered marked as it lies)
- They walk the 5-10 yards back to their bag and after mulling it over, pull out two discs.
- They walk the 5-10 yards back to their lie and decide which disc to throw (at this point some actually take the unwanted disc back to their bag and put it away.  Some will just set down the disc they decided against throwing. (yay! it's the most efficient thing they'll do all round)
- tick tock, tick tock (30 seconds has passed)
- They take a stance at their lie, but get distracted by a car passing by a 100 yards away (urrrrgh,  30 second clock reset. yeah it's a broken, abused loophole in the rule)
- At this point, they may stay committed to their disc decision, or not.  In the later case, repeat the walk back to bag, disc selection and walk back to their lie.
- In any case, they eventually get to a non-distracted throwing routine.  (omg, throw the plastic already, please!)
- aaaaaand finally their shot is away. 
- Rinse and repeat for each shot for the duration of the round. *sigh*

If the above even remotely describes your routine on the golf course, then you're the one holding up the group you're with. You're breaking the pace of play rules in addition to infuriating every one on your card and the cards stuck behind you.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 02:10:32 PM by Tracy »

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 01:18:08 PM »
Dude I only got to your third bullet point, cause I limit reading posts to 30 seconds, but it sounds like you've describing JWaldron.
espouse elucidation                                               Be excellent to each other

Tracy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 02:06:21 PM »
Dude I only got to your third bullet point, cause I limit reading posts to 30 seconds, but it sounds like you've describing JWaldron.
Don't think I've ever played a round of disc golf with him.   The problem of slow play is quite common.  The scenario/process I described above is of an extreme case, but a real one. However, my intent is not to call out any players specifically.

'cept you, danger, read faster!   :P