Author Topic: New Player's League at Rosedale  (Read 213 times)

JoeBoy

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
New Player's League at Rosedale
« on: June 02, 2017, 08:37:21 AM »
I want to clarify a few things about New Player's League both at Pleasant Hill and Rosedale.  New Player's League is open to everyone and is always free.  It's meant to be a friendly place for people to improve their game, get some pointers, give some pointers, and hang out with like-minded people.  While NPL doesn't play a full formal set of rules, we do try to teach full tournament rules in case a new player decides to compete in a formal environment.  Since I hadn't taken the time to do so this year, I'm going to list the generalities of NPL rules. If you have any questions, you can always ask me.

In no particular order:
1) All OB and mandos are in play unless the League Coordinator (that's me) calls it otherwise.

2) While we aren't a competitive league we do keep score, tracking all throws and penalty strokes.  We do this so that people can see how they are doing and so that new players can learn how to record scores.

3) Tags can be in play on card if the players on that card agree before the round starts.  The LC will NOT settle on-card tag disputes because those were personal agreements.

4) Since we are attempting to teach, penalty strokes are not assessed for foot-faults, scoring errors, or other general rules violations.  However, we will take the opportunity to show what was done wrong and how to correct it for formal play.  We sometimes allow a second shot for learning purposes.

5) No one is to be made to feel uncomfortable or unwelcome.  We have players of all skill levels.  The round may be longer than normal as a new player is coached.  It's just part of this league.

6) If you are a new player coming out, the LC is going to attempt to card you with one of the best players available.  This is done intentionally to teach.

7) We also play and teach disc golf etiquette rules.  Furthest disc plays first, quiet on the tee box, etc.  Although for pace of play "ready golf" may sometimes be used, in general be courteous to each other.

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
    • View Profile
Re: New Player's League at Rosedale
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 08:55:37 AM »
3) Tags can be in play on card if the players on that card agree before the round starts.  The LC will NOT settle on-card tag disputes because those were personal agreements.

I think what you are doing is great. We need a NPL in town for just this reason. The one thing I disagree with is the tag thing. The tags should always be in play during a club event. That's one of the tag rules we instituted years ago. Other than that, great job on putting this together and running it.
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 09:00:00 AM »
Tags should always be in play per card, it's our culture. I like the protocol of pairing beginners with seasoned players
espouse elucidation                                               Be excellent to each other

JoeBoy

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 03:51:32 PM »

I think what you are doing is great. We need a NPL in town for just this reason. The one thing I disagree with is the tag thing. The tags should always be in play during a club event. That's one of the tag rules we instituted years ago. Other than that, great job on putting this together and running it.

Thank you.  I get that tags should always be in play, but so many of my players don't have a tag that it's hard to mandate it.  There have also been some disagreements about tags in play across different cards so I made a decision to make them optional just to keep the tensions down in front of new players.  That being said, I can and do encourage tags to be in play on-card.  I even put my one tag in play on most rounds so I am leading by example on that.  I've yet to get my tag number to improve, but it's still in play.  :)