Author Topic: leagues for kids  (Read 1358 times)

micahfouquet

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
leagues for kids
« on: August 16, 2016, 12:56:06 PM »
Hello everyone..I am moving to KC in a year(from Wichita).  However, my ex and our children moved up there this summer.  My 10 year old loves to play and is pretty good for his age.  Is there any leagues that are more appropriate then others him to go to when I'm up there with him?  Are kids even allowed to throw league in KC?
thanks for the tips! 

Micah Fouquet 

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: leagues for kids
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 02:24:14 PM »
kids are allowed, though some people may need to be "reminded" that they are playing with kids, and keep grown up items away from children.

There aren't any children's leagues that seem to stick.  There have been a few attempts over the years, and there have been quite a few clinics with kids, but nothing stable with a devoted group towards kids developmental leagues that I am aware of.

There probably would be an interest, even if it was a monthly league though if someone jumped in and made it happen.

Look forward to having another golfer in the area!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jteater

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 09:53:26 PM »
It will probably depend what part of town you are living in. The league at Shawnee Mission Park would probably be good for you.
They don't allow drinking in that park and it seems like a pretty good group of people. Although all of the leagues are great groups.

micahfouquet

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 08:27:00 AM »
Hey thanks for the info guys! look forward to meeting the KC golfers! 

Micah.

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 09:10:50 AM »
I would say the new players league(s) are worth attending for kids.  Pleasant Hill on Thursday evenings.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 10:16:08 AM »
I would say the new players league(s) are worth attending for kids.  Pleasant Hill on Thursday evenings.

Great stance for certain!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

KB

• Pro Poster
  • The Bigger Babbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 11:00:23 PM »
Micah, my son will soon be 10 and would love to join some league nights with me and other kids. I would be happy to play with both when I have time. Please ping me. We can make a special arrangement. I am in south Overland Park and son plays baseball but I could imagine one night a week of league or something with kids. Thanks for posting.
-------
Slow your Role
Calm Your Putt
KCFDC Board Member
ph: 913-544-6689

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 08:53:54 AM »
There will be another kids tourney this fall at Fox Hill Elementary.  The event is called Kansas City Juniors Open.  This is not a league, but a chance for kids to come out and play against each other.  It is very casual and geared towards being super affordable, lots of giveaways and good player pack, introducing new kids to the game, and family fun.

We are working on the dates now and hoping to get info out in the next couple weeks.

Cade

• Administrator
  • Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 09:33:44 AM »
My son (13) plays as well. We are in Olathe. It would be great to get a young'uns group going!
Cade Garrelts
Prairie Center League Director
Lakeside Hills League Director

Rob H

• Am Poster
  • The Other Rob H.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2016, 03:16:10 PM »
I sometimes play as bad as my 10 year old. And there are more than a few golfers who act like children on the course so I am sure your son will fit right in.

Seriously though I have wondered about starting a kids league as such. Not competitive, but more instructional. I think the Nailer is always holding clinics. I never miss one.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 10:41:52 PM by Rob H »
I'd be a lot better at this game if it wasn't for all these dang trees.