Author Topic: Storm Damage this Weekend - Help Needed!  (Read 852 times)

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Storm Damage this Weekend - Help Needed!
« on: July 24, 2017, 09:26:22 AM »
As posted on the KCFDC Facebook group:

The storm that came through Kansas City this past weekend did some real damage to our courses. I've already heard about damage to SMP and Waterworks, and have seen damage to both Rosedale courses. If you have seen serious tree damage that needs removal (either a truck to pull it away or a chainsaw to cut it up) please post below. I'm sure the parks departments will be busy cleaning other places as well, so please be patient. But we'll work to get our courses back in order.

Also, if you're playing a course, please help us in removing any fallen limbs that are easy enough to drag off. Some of the more damaged course will require workdays (I'm looking at you, Rosedale Down Under), so be on the lookout for events to help us clean up after the damage.

Thanks to all of those who play, and even more thanks to those that help! You're the reason that KC has one of the best disc golf communities in the world.

EL KUJO

• Pro Poster
  • you dont need much, just a tiny taste
    • View Profile
Re: Storm Damage this Weekend - Help Needed!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 11:19:51 AM »
big tree down on 11 at waterworks, I think that is the biggest issue out there right now.

ill have to take a trip up to bad rock to check it out but I was up north when the storm hit and I think it was much worse in the city
if its anything worth doing, its worth doing right

~Josh Kujawa
   LD&CC 4 BRC/CC 4 WW
   KCFDC# 1760
   PDGA# 78277

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 12:01:26 PM »
big tree down on 11 at waterworks, I think that is the biggest issue out there right now.

ill have to take a trip up to bad rock to check it out but I was up north when the storm hit and I think it was much worse in the city

#11 is bad but there are lots and I mean lots of limbs down. #9 lost the top of a tree and quite a few other issues throughout. Just needs to be cut and dragged to the road so P&R can get them.
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 12:52:30 PM »
For those who have been Down Under yet, there's probably 10 or so trees down.  Also I've seen at least 2 down on the Up Top course. 

steuty

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 12:59:56 PM »
Rosie up top has a small tree down in #3's fairway. Should be able to drag it out. #6 has a huge tree down, #9 has a huge tree down that took out the power lines by the softball field. Those won't be easy clean ups. Big tree by the basket locations on old #16 is down, but that is not interfering with any holes. The rest us just a bunch of small stuff. Oh and #4 has a big one down that's laying out into the fairway between 2 and 4.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 01:03:25 PM by steuty »
KCFDC #1103
PDGA #75504

Twister66

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 12:16:28 PM »
Wyco Parks have cleaned up all of the big trees and many of the large branches up top.  They have been very quick and relatively efficient getting the work done.  Obviously, there is more to get done up top, and down under has not been touched, but Wyco parks has really taken ownership of the basics like trash, mowing, and storm pick-up this year.
Jim Sherwood

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 12:23:30 PM »
The mayor has emphasized making the parks better, it may not be in terms of "new items" but in maintaining and ensuring that they are place to visit and enjoy is a priority this year.  Hopefully will be the standard!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jteater

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 03:25:05 PM »
Hi Jack, not b%tching but is there anyway you can get them to mow more at Wyco.  Thanks in advance for anything you can do.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 04:19:02 PM »
You may want to reach out to Pete for any KS course questions.

EL KUJO

• Pro Poster
  • you dont need much, just a tiny taste
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 07:15:53 AM »
7, 8, 9, 11, 16, 18 at WW all have trees or half of a tree down on them. nothing really affecting the holes except for 9, yes I hit it...  :P
if its anything worth doing, its worth doing right

~Josh Kujawa
   LD&CC 4 BRC/CC 4 WW
   KCFDC# 1760
   PDGA# 78277