Author Topic: 2015 Kansas City Flying Disc Club Championships - Nov 7-8, 2015  (Read 14411 times)

thankyoupeter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Kansas City Flying Disc Club Championships - Nov 7-8, 2015
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2015, 11:08:11 AM »
I was not informed on the exact law. It was the park police flexing their muscle over their park and so be it. I'm not concerned. It was just a fun idea that isn't going to come to fruition. I'm just going to go about making this a fun event. Honestly, when I asked, I didn't think I had a chance in hell they would let me do it.

Well I can understand that, it is a pretty extreme request, especially since it's "against the law". 

Nova

• Pro Poster
  • I meant for it to do that.
    • View Profile
Nova P. -- PDGA #74995 -- KCFDC #1860

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2015, 11:54:47 AM »
I was not informed on the exact law. It was the park police flexing their muscle over their park and so be it. I'm not concerned. It was just a fun idea that isn't going to come to fruition. I'm just going to go about making this a fun event. Honestly, when I asked, I didn't think I had a chance in hell they would let me do it.

Well I can understand that, it is a pretty extreme request, especially since it's "against the law".

I'm sure there is a law on the books about throwing things across a street... Prairie Center is on notice.
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2015, 12:32:40 PM »
....As for SMP.....Why did you ask?

Oh, there will be more than 90 players.  Last year I was on a card of 6 first round, and 5 second round.

......Many of you weren't here back in 2001 when we first started talking about the disc golf course, and looking to use the land over there.  Wasn't only not offered, but with the shelter, they said nay altogether.  So needless to say we won't be seeing any additional holes of the extra variety ........

Not sure why people don't read at times.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2015, 01:05:11 PM »
The only island we are talking about is the one in the street. Not the one in the pond. Come on Jack, you would question me?

Dick Parker
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2015, 10:05:30 AM »
What state law is that? 

I asked for you. I was given 3 laws. One of them, I felt this one was most relevant. KSA 21-5819 – Throwing or otherwise casting objects onto a street.

The bottom line is that their Safety board was against it, so there is no need to argue. I honestly think that is the best answer. So for future questions about why we can't use that island in the street, this is your official answer.
Dick Parker
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

thankyoupeter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2015, 10:43:07 AM »
Thanks.  The language of the law reads:

(a) It is unlawful for any person to: (1) Recklessly throw, push, pitch or otherwise cast any rock, stone or other object, matter or thing onto a street, road, highway, railroad right-of-way, or upon any vehicle, engine or car or any train, locomotive, railroad car, caboose, rail-mounted work equipment or rolling stock thereon. 

That being said, it appears that by successfully landing on the island, one would not be breaking the law.  That hole would be a great score differentiator.  If you go onto the road, not only do you receive an OB penalty stroke, but you also are arrested on the spot by Kansas Police.

khazelton28

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2015, 10:55:12 AM »
why is it that they allow the island hole at Prairie Center but not Shawnee Mission? just curious.
Member #1887
PDGA# 77986

Utz

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2015, 11:05:50 AM »
The prosecution rests it's case against SMP.

(MK this is a troll post, FYI)
KCFDC #831
A proud new cart golfer

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2015, 11:07:29 AM »
why is it that they allow the island hole at Prairie Center but not Shawnee Mission? just curious.

Because.
Dick Parker
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

Douug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2015, 11:14:14 AM »
Thanks.  The language of the law reads:

(a) It is unlawful for any person to: (1) Recklessly throw, push, pitch or otherwise cast any rock, stone or other object, matter or thing onto a street, road, highway, railroad right-of-way, or upon any vehicle, engine or car or any train, locomotive, railroad car, caboose, rail-mounted work equipment or rolling stock thereon. 

That being said, it appears that by successfully landing on the island, one would not be breaking the law.  That hole would be a great score differentiator.  If you go onto the road, not only do you receive an OB penalty stroke, but you also are arrested on the spot by Kansas Police.

(a) It is unlawful for any person to: (1) Recklessly throw,

So when participating in a disc golf event are we recklessly throwing?

"reck-less"
rash, heedless, incautious, negligent, imprudent.
1.  utterly unconcerned about the consequences of some action; without caution; careless (usually followed by of):
2.  characterized by or proceeding from such carelessness:

Since we are not being "rash, heedless, incautious, negligent or imprudent", it should be considered a lawful throw.

Do you concurr?

« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:48:10 AM by SteelerDoug »

Nova

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2015, 12:16:00 PM »
I've got to go with SteelerDoug on this one. It would be up to the prosecution to prove recklessness.

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2015, 12:22:44 PM »
It boils down to this. They think it's a safety concern. I didn't share the other laws that were cited because I kind of got the drift. They are concerned about safety. Whether or not we agree with it is a moot point. Let us all just have fun and not worry to much about it.

Don't forget that a huge settlement was just awarded to a person who lost an eye. Most every P&R knows about the story and are on high alert.
Dick Parker
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

Douug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2015, 12:49:44 PM »
It boils down to this. They think it's a safety concern. I didn't share the other laws that were cited because I kind of got the drift. They are concerned about safety. Whether or not we agree with it is a moot point. Let us all just have fun and not worry to much about it.

Don't forget that a huge settlement was just awarded to a person who lost an eye. Most every P&R knows about the story and are on high alert.

That course should of never been put there so close to other park activities and patrons. Sadly it was a accident only to happen sooner. That course has been closed down.

I wonder about the bike paths and walking trails through BRC.  I seen a close call on #17 with players in front of me one time. 

Nova

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2015, 02:23:10 PM »
Liberty #18 is potential trouble too, especially the longest blue or gold. There's a bike trail that emerges from the woods on the right-hand side, and just last Sunday I had to caution two bikers that there was a group of players throwing up the hill. (I had gone up there to spot, since cresting the hill is a blind shot.)