Author Topic: Disc-ussion  (Read 3657 times)

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Disc-ussion
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 04:30:46 PM »
Yep. Weight is such a critical part of the stability of a disc with a few exceptions in my opinion. Logic would also dictate that weight of the disc should be factored into the windspeed and direction.  The days it sets up perfect to match my bag is generally when I find I shoot better. Then comes the psychology of it and keeping your head focused for the remainder of the round. Anyway, disc wise it's almost imparative that I have different bags for different tracks and conditions. What I really think would be cool if some tech whiz came up with a speed meter to judge what speed you should throw. Just like shafts, heads and grips in ball golf. There is no perfect fit, but it would be a good place to start. Especially for a newbie.

Some of the best ways to do that is talk to seasoned throwers. Hence the reasoning for this comverstation. But when it comes to Mr. Green Jean's, many of whom are the former owners of unmarked discs I find that didn't quite work out for them, what options do they have? They need something or someone to analyze their throwing form and style.

What do you think Jack?
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

Douug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 06:52:44 PM »
Or practice throwing our discs. ;)

ASchout

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 02:28:53 PM »
From my experience, the best way to determine arm speed is to practice throwing different speed discs and see how they react.  If you can throw a disc and consistently mimic the manufacturers flight pattern, there's a good chance your arm can handle that speed.

As a beginner when I first started expanding my bag last year, I was enamored with high speed drivers thinking they would add distance to my throws.  It didn't take long for me to figure out I could throw a putter/mid-range as far (and much straighter) than the shiny new Destroyer in my bag.

What it really comes down to is "What are YOU comfortable throwing?"  Worry less about your arm speed and more about what disc in your bag you can you throw with confidence when you're staring at a narrow fairway on Swope Gold.

Just my two cents...

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 02:53:51 PM by ASchout »
KCFDC #1911
PDGA #77818

Utz

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 02:30:47 PM »
So you want info, but not a lot of info.. oh okay got it.

Check out this vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa8WInRpNaM

It refreshes what disc speed is, re-explains High speed turn, low speed fade etc. It helps you get a default benchmark for your throw, then shows you how to move around the flight chart to find what suits you best. You basically throw things until you get them to go straight. The video is 10 minutes and is very helpful.

KCFDC #831
A proud new cart golfer

Cade

• Administrator
  • Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 03:53:50 PM »
Get on the highway with your arm out of the car window. When the force of the wind starts pushing your arm back, that is your arm speed.  ;D
Cade Garrelts
KCFDC BoD - Tech/Media Director
Prairie Center League Director
Lakeside Hills League Director
KCFDC: 1116
PDGA: 40910

Steve the Quiz Berry

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 05:03:12 PM »
Maybe someone has access to a radar gun?
It would be interesting to see just how fast arms were.
And see the difference in disc speeds.

At , I believe its Nigro golf...they analyze ball golfers swings on some kind of computer.I wonder if disc golfers could use the same machine they use?
I bet disc golfers would even pay to have there arm speed or disc flight speed measured.

Nova

• Pro Poster
  • I meant for it to do that.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 05:19:41 PM »
That's actually a really intriguing idea, and could be a fun addition to a tourney's player party, or lunch break. I've seen carnival games where a player has to correctly guess the speed they are about to throw a baseball, then throw it past a radar gun.
Nova P. -- PDGA #74995 -- KCFDC #1860

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2016, 09:51:38 AM »
Radar guns are used in/at many events.  I wouldn't be surprised to see some more this year, I was at 2 events last year that I can think of that had them in use after the event.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2016, 02:02:05 PM »
Awesome. Anyone have input on how many readings would be needed to be obtained and then the conversion chart or formula used to calculate the physical speed of the disc into the speed numbers we are familiar with om our discs?

Douug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2016, 02:44:14 PM »
Awesome. Anyone have input on how many readings would be needed to be obtained and then the conversion chart or formula used to calculate the physical speed of the disc into the speed numbers we are familiar with om our discs?

The flight paths in the inFlight Guide assume that players have the appropriate arm speed, skill, and power levels necessary for a disc to achieve the lines shown. For example, for a player that can throw a drive with a maximum distance around 350′ (player A), a disc with a 350′ distance rating should correspond to the flight path depicted. On the other hand, if a player is capable of throwing a drive with a maximum distance of 250′ (player B), it is highly improbable that they will be able to throw a disc with a distance rating of 350′ within that distance range or with the same flight path. To this end, for players that throw discs at less than the expected speed/power level, the flight will have a higher HST value (e.g. less right‐turning) and diminished distance. The result will be a final position shorter in range and further to the left on the x‐axis when compared to the inFlight Guide chart. Likewise, for a player that is capable of throwing a 450′ drive (player C), it is likely that they will be able to throw a disc with a 350′ distance rating much further and with a more pronounced flight path. For players that throw discs at greater than the expected speed/power level, the flight will have a lower HST value (e.g. more right‐turning) and extended distance. The result will be a final position much greater in range and further to the right on the x‐axis when compared to the inFlight Guide chart.

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2016, 03:28:43 PM »
That's great logic Doug. I presume weight will also be a factor.

Rob H

• Am Poster
  • The Other Rob H.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2016, 03:36:14 PM »
I presume weight will also be a factor.

For sure.  The fatter I get, the shorter I throw.  Or did you mean the disc?
I'd be a lot better at this game if it wasn't for all these dang trees.

Utz

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2016, 12:09:37 PM »
Nice copy-pasta from this site, Douglas. Why not just link him the entire article?

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=573
KCFDC #831
A proud new cart golfer

ekolk

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2016, 07:32:35 PM »
Plagiarism. Just give us the link. Thanks Greg.

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 01:32:53 PM »
I appreciate this info from everyone.