Author Topic: 33rd Annual Kansas City Wide Open - June 19-21, 2015  (Read 27697 times)

DiscDisc Byrd

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 33rd Annual Kansas City Wide Open - June 19-21, 2015
« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2015, 08:08:22 AM »
So your saying throw in the street before mando you throw from where you went out till you pass the mando?  Thats not what dick and the rule says. Confusing. Which way is it makes a difference how you play the hole in my opinion
Steve keithley

MK

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2015, 08:58:36 AM »
I don't know about the Wide Open, but the mando was moved last year right before the Midwest Am Championships. 

To answer your question Steve, I believe that if the disc goes OB but beyond the mandatory line as explained in the rule below, then you'd go to the drop zone for the mandatory.  If it doesn't go beyond the mando line, then you'd go to where the disc went OB or your previous lie.

That is, unless the TD has created a drop zone for going OB, which could be the same as the mandatory drop zone I suppose.

Here are the rules that apply:

Rule 804.02

A. A mandatory restricts the path the disc may take to the target. A disc must pass the correct side of the mandatory before the hole is completed. A disc has passed the mandatory once it establishes a position beyond the mandatory line.
1. The mandatory line is the line marked by the director or course designer to indicate when a disc has passed or missed the mandatory.
2. If no line has been marked, the mandatory line is defined as a straight line through the mandatory, perpendicular to the line connecting the mandatory to the previous mandatory, or if there is no previous mandatory, the tee.

B. A throw has missed the mandatory if it passes the incorrect side of the mandatory from the direction of the tee, and establishes a position completely beyond the mandatory line.
C. A throw that has missed the mandatory results in a one-throw penalty. The next throw shall be made from the drop zone, as designated for that mandatory.

Rule 804.04

D. A player whose disc is out-of-bounds shall receive one penalty throw. The player may elect to play the next throw from:
1. The previous lie; or,
2. A lie that is up to one meter away from and perpendicular to the point where the disc last crossed into out-of-bounds, even if the direction takes the lie closer to the target; or,
3. Within the designated drop zone, if provided.
Mike Krueger
KCDFC #1692
PDGA #67309
KCFDC PDGA Traveling League Director

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2015, 09:16:30 AM »
Ok, so I will admit that it is worded bad. On my last comment I tried to make it easy because I have more to worry about than one hole.. Or do I?

So here is the official rule and it will be on a temp tee sign on the hole (along with 18 because it applies here as well).

If you go OB before the Mando you will take it out where it went out of bounds. The only way to "miss" the mando would be to go right of the tree and come back in bounds. So if that happens you go to the drop zone. Once you have made it past the mando successfully and go OB you can play it where it went out of bounds. Hopefully that clears it up.
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

DiscDisc Byrd

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2015, 11:33:22 AM »
Thanks dick. Thats the way i was thinking but its worded that you go to drop zone if your tee shotguns out of bounds. Thanks for the clarification.
Steve keithley

jayhawker737

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2015, 08:43:27 AM »
I know that the rope won't be set up until Tuesday or Wednesday, but when will the baskets be in place at Swope?

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2015, 09:16:06 AM »
Tuesday.

We use part of the land that is used by the Parks & Recreation department. They would rather not have people using that land until the last minute.
Dick Parker
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

Marc Johnson

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2015, 10:26:15 AM »
Would someone be kind enough to verify that the B-Tier check-in is at Swope on Saturday between 7-8am. I just needed to find out if I needed to check-in on Thursday, 12-6pm, as well.
I have class from 6-8pm on Thursday, so will not be able to make the opening ceremonies and players meeting. Any information, I'd appreciate someone to clarify. Thanks.
Marc Johnson
PDGA # 64386
KCFDC # 1700
2015 DD KC Bag Tag #107 >>> #188 >>> #173
2015 KCFDC Bag Tag #326 >>> #280

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2015, 07:30:43 PM »
You can check in from 12-6 in thursday or 1 hour before your first round at the course you play. Packages can be picked up at swope when you play there before or after round.
Dick Parker
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2015, 09:21:39 AM »
Ok, so I will admit that it is worded bad. On my last comment I tried to make it easy because I have more to worry about than one hole.. Or do I?

So here is the official rule and it will be on a temp tee sign on the hole (along with 18 because it applies here as well).

If you go OB before the Mando you will take it out where it went out of bounds. The only way to "miss" the mando would be to go right of the tree and come back in bounds. So if that happens you go to the drop zone. Once you have made it past the mando successfully and go OB you can play it where it went out of bounds. Hopefully that clears it up.

There is ONE possible way that this is still slightly confusing, let me see if I can muck it up.

You CAN miss the Mando, go OB, and come back in BOUNDS after the mando, in which case you missed Mando and got to the Drop Zone.

That is the reason there is a LINE from the Mando to the OB wall.  You are IN BOUNDS, but MISSED the MANDO, (going to the RIGHT of the MANDO is missing it) therefor go back to Drop Zone. 

That same shot hits the side of the wall and doesn't come back in bounds, you throw from the wall where it went out.  The OUTER portion of the WALL IS OB.

You skip off the road, hit the pin on the peninsula, roll OB, you back to drop zone.

So if you throw it OB....skips off the road, comes back in BOUNDS past the Mando, but is IN Bounds, you go to the Drop Zone and take a penalty. (#17)

Whew, a lot can happen on that shot huh?

As worded above correctly, you can MAKE THE MANDO, only to have it SKIP OB (#18), and you would play it from last position IN Bounds.

Missing the Mando re tee on #18, you can......Hit the tree on the right side, go OB and still have a chance to make the mando on the left, thus throwing your shot from where it was last IN BOUNDS at.  You can have the same thing happen on the LEFT Mando..... (I hit the MANDO tree on league, but stayed behind it, threw forehand, made mando, took my 3) only if the disc passes past the wrong side of the MANDO do you RE TEE (Drop Zone on #18 is RE-TEE).

Back to Back holes with some confusing possibilities, please know the ruling on them, it will save you strokes.

(corrected per "Too Tall" Guy)--Sarcasm will be missed by many but him..... :-D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 04:24:15 PM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2015, 09:45:42 AM »

You are IN BOUNDS, but MISSED the MANDO, (going to the LEFT of the MANDO is missing it) therefor go back to Drop Zone. [/quote]

ummm.....to the left misses it?  ;D

Sorry, couldn't resist :P
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2015, 09:46:16 AM »
and apparently, I can't quote quotes  ::)
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

Shucky Ducky

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2015, 03:26:28 PM »
Are there any festivities planned for Friday or Saturday night? I'm probably gonna go to a Royals game and was needing to know which night to buy tickets. Thanks in advance

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2015, 03:47:21 PM »
No you are free from any activities at night. Other than the Players Meeting Thursday night at 7pm.
Dick Parker
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

Utz

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 16, 2015, 10:08:38 AM »
Ever thought about recording the players meeting, and putting the audio online? Easier for you, and everyone involved. The most important part, however, it won't kill WW league attendance. :D
KCFDC #831
A proud new cart golfer

Bill the TD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2015, 11:53:19 AM »
I know that the player check in is 12-6 on Thursday and I also know that it is at Swope but what I was not sure about is where at Swope.  I may have missed it but I have spoken to others and have never got a clear answer.