Author Topic: stirring the pot....  (Read 6050 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
stirring the pot....
« on: July 27, 2010, 11:54:21 AM »
so......I am thinking here and wonder what others think......I like to play with open players, and I like the masters crowd as well....I am thinking of paying for both and using one score, what do others think?

In other words I would be paying $12/night in league fees, but have a chance to win in 2 divisions.....this is the way that it is done at some events, and I was wondering what the folks in our fine chat room think....I mean the club gets paid 2x, and I am paying for both...so......what do you guys think?

I wouldn't do it every night but on nights where I feel there is a shot I might....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: stirring the pot....
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 12:01:55 PM »
I can see that if I felt I had a shot, I'd do it.  Not that I would have a shot currently myself, but, if I knew my capabilities would offer a shot in both, heck yeah.  I'd do it.
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 12:02:46 PM »
.....this is the way that it is done at some events, ....

What events? I've never heard of this before?

Not that I object, but it's a new one on me.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

hyzerponix

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 12:03:34 PM »
I say go for it. As long as you've added your fair share to the purse for each respective division, there shouldn't be a problem. Might as well pay $17 and get your name put in the Am mix too while you're at it... ;D

coops

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 12:05:50 PM »
Or we could just get rid of masters... allow those who are eligible to play in grandmasters and let the masters divide themselves b/t Open and Am as they see fit. They do that at some events too.

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
I am thinking of paying for both and using one score, what do others think?

I would be ok with that, realizing we could get ams playing rec/int/adv and paying 3x, grandmasters like myself thinking about paying 5x since my rating is low enough<mpo, mpm, mpg, adv, adv mast>, or just say you make a side bet, and play your score for one division. ps arturo turns master next year, i need a place to hide.
espouse elucidation                                               Be excellent to each other

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 12:34:36 PM »
Quite a few events that are "open only" will allow you to pay a "side bet" in age divisions, Japan Open being the freshest in my mind.  For an extra $100 you can bet in the Master's age group, for all those that pool together on the event the money is then split by those that paid accordsing to score.  Pete did this, and so did Bruce, Bruce was so old that he was able to pay into the GrandMaster's division as well, so he paid an extra $200 for the event on the side bets.  I think he cashed in the Grandmaster's side nicely as well.

I've heard of it in the past and thought about doing it last night at Cliff, but I wanted to see what others think.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

coops

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 01:41:10 PM »
Anything that increases participation in Open is fine with me...

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 01:46:10 PM »
Or we could just get rid of masters... allow those who are eligible to play in grandmasters and let the masters divide themselves b/t Open and Am as they see fit. They do that at some events too.

This.

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 01:46:29 PM »
Anything that increases participation in Open is fine with me...

And this.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 01:47:05 PM »
so as I am thinking here, and I already here the grumblings.......we get rid of the masters division, BUT.......they pay an extra $3 and that all goes to the Masters only, with nothing else to the club, so it becomes a $10 league....who am I kidding, this would never pass with all us old geezers in town.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

coops

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 01:55:59 PM »
Seems good to me!

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 01:59:56 PM »
lower the open fee, and i'll participate, and so will most geezers
espouse elucidation                                               Be excellent to each other

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 02:03:59 PM »
Perhaps it's worth entertaining the idea of $5 league fees with a $2 side bet for those who wish to get in.  I think deeper divisions is what we should be aiming for.

I'll take the under on 5 posts before Dick flames me for saying that.

BamBam

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 02:05:33 PM »
Well, I don't really feel strongly one way or the other. Only thing I can think of is that this "hedge bet" is only available to the Masters "age protected" division.

There isn't much reason for an open player to think this a bad idea--especially since they stand to increase their overall money pool--with the exception of a player "playing up". These players who have a smaller chance of winning cash might not like an additional pro division being able to opt in.