Author Topic: 33rd Annual Kansas City Wide Open - June 19-21, 2015  (Read 32676 times)

Disc Demon

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 33rd Annual Kansas City Wide Open - June 19-21, 2015
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 10:54:43 PM »
A couple questions.

1st: If I register early will I be in the same group with Nate Doss and David Feldberg?

2nd: What is the disc this year?  Im hoping its a commemorative Groove special edition glow.

Steve the Quiz Berry

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 06:00:16 AM »
 ;D. Well for one thing Jack..Last year I Volunteered for working one day., But ended up working every single day....And when I was looking at playing this year, I notice it was only 80 bucks to register.
I believe that I should have a right to know what the players pack is.

What does the Am. Players pack consist of ?

Seriously.......?  Can we get the courses done and help in the event before we worry about "what do I get?"  Here is the deal, GBO is all ran by a DG company where you get their stuff.

The Wide Open is ran by volunteers that scrape to get you what we can on the time we have.

Let's help why not ask, "Hey how can I help in getting the players pack more awesome?" instead.....

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!

I will be there to spot.  I scheduled my family vacation around it along with  another hip surgery.  However, folks should have the right to volunteer, play, watch, not give a shat about the event,give a shat about the event,  and ask lots of questions without being called out.  Folks should not be worried about someone guilting them for not volunteering.  I do not understand this thinking.  It just turns folks away from not wanting anything to do with the club.  It is such a great event and keeping things positive  and fun should be our focus as a club.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 09:04:53 AM »
;D. Well for one thing Jack..Last year I Volunteered for working one day., But ended up working every single day....And when I was looking at playing this year, I notice it was only 80 bucks to register.

I didn't mean to probably come off as harsh as it sounded, this internot doesn't always promote the best tone inflections.

That being said, the gist of what I was saying or attempting to would be that it is still probably being decided.  At times you don't know what all you are getting as a TD until a few weeks out from sponsors, last minute agreements, etc....  The history of the Wide Open is one that has almost always been a very generous players pack.  To a point where the players pack gets bashed because the AM PAYOUT wasn't as strong as people would have liked because they got more in value on the players pack than they paid.  This has happened and hence my own undertones of OMG the players pack question, seriously?  History has jaded me in this respect and I fully admit it.

We need help, we always need more help.  That is typical my response, when people ask how, I say go do and let us know what you can give to help make it better.

So since again things are just moving along now on the planning part suffice it to say it will be a cool players pack for certain that will as the last few years have indicated, exceed the value I took a little quip on it.

I am sorry if it cam across harsh, it wasn't my intent to single it out, but ultimately I am a big bully and as such I tend to tower and throw all this abusive speak on the internet that some take as personal, when in fact it is just attempting to create dialogue about other endeavors to make this event even better.

I personally thank you as well for helping out last year.  I barely remember the event but I am all to cognizant of the efforts of many to give a little time and how impactful it is even if someone can only help for an hour, hell 30 minutes, trust me it helps. For that to take one day to give, and spend 3 AWESOMENESS is yours, and please accept my apology as it wasn't directed towards you as such, but rather trying to get our local scene to a better realization of just how much energy is needed to make this event.  It is a tough hill to climb when dealing with an all volunteer group to make it happen.

Apologies to those that it offended, now get volunteering!   ;D
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jteater

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 09:24:52 AM »
As a famous Kansas City disc golfer recently said "I'm lazy and didn't want to read a essay", so can you just sum it up for us. What's in the player pack.  ;D ;D

jhinck2

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 09:40:38 AM »
Famous...has a ring to it.
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 11:34:40 AM »
As a famous Kansas City disc golfer recently said "I'm lazy and didn't want to read a essay", so can you just sum it up for us. What's in the player pack.  ;D ;D
Good stuff-in the players pack that is......disc golf stuff on top of that.... ;D

Sum it up... have you read my posts? ???
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 07:22:34 AM »

Thank you for your volunteerism last year. Please provide me your phone # and I'll make sure you are the first person I call when it has been decided.
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

Steve the Quiz Berry

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 09:12:33 AM »
I just might volunteer again. It was very fun an rewarding in many ways. I got to meet all the top pro's..and see first hand how they attacked certain holes.
    Learned about my game, and some of their game.
Got to work with a great group of people.And meet the guys,and gals who some had donated their time and efforts preparing the course's  used for this event.
   ...well you just had to be there
The whole weekend was a Kodak moment.
I Thank those involve for everything they did.

ekolk

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 11:13:51 AM »
I just might volunteer again. It was very fun an rewarding in many ways. I got to meet all the top pro's..and see first hand how they attacked certain holes.
    Learned about my game, and some of their game.
Got to work with a great group of people.And meet the guys,and gals who some had donated their time and efforts preparing the course's  used for this event.
   ...well you just had to be there
The whole weekend was a Kodak moment.
I Thank those involve for everything they did.

That is awesome. Can we quote you on " The whole weekend was a Kodak moment" ? It reminds me of two years ago Dave Hemmeline said KC = "Big Heart". That's the vibe out there for the whole weekend. We do a  great job at welcoming folks and they return the kindness.

jamison99

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 10:00:07 PM »
Curious if the courses being played by the Advanced and Intermediate men have been decided?  If I missed this info, please forgive me and direct me elsewhere!

bMathews

• Am Poster
  • Positive is how I live
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 08:56:00 AM »
I believe all divisions will be playing all the courses over the 3-day span. Traditionally, Intermediate has played only Sat-Sun with 2 rounds Saturday and one round Sunday, but who knows what the schedule will be this year.
RHBH | 13 yrs
/r/discgolf Tag#237
KCFDC Tag #11
DD Tag #54
PDGA# 59297
KCFDC# 1584

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2015, 11:14:26 AM »
We are still looking for Cash Sponsors for the KC Wide Open this year. If you know a company or own a company that would like to contribute to the event please share this Sponsorship Form with them. Maybe they would like to sponsor you to play in the event. A minimal fee of $300 will get you into the event and also a Tee Sign at Swope Park all weekend. Help us, help the event. Thanks for sharing!

http://kcfdc-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/docs/2015KCWO_sponsorform.pdf

We are going to be updating the website kcwideopen.com this evening with new information like Schedule and Sponsors. We will also be announcing players pack items and cash added this week sometime. Also, in about a week, we are going to announce some other cool stuff happening that weekend that we are very excited about.

Lastly, we will be looking for volunteers soon. If you are not playing the event but would like to help spot or get water or whatever we need, please keep your eyes open for a way to sign up to be apart of our team. Thanks.
Dick Parker
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

Steve the Quiz Berry

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2015, 07:15:08 AM »
Is there a limit on how many people can play in this event?

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2015, 07:22:59 AM »
There is room for 360 players. Although, I control the amount of people in each division to help keep balanced cards. I will do my best to allow everyone to play that wants to play within the cap though.
Dick Parker
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2015, 12:45:54 PM »
http://www.kcwideopen.com/schedule_2015.html

The schedule is online now for you planning/viewing pleasure. While this is the schedule, all things are subject to change.
Dick Parker
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru