Author Topic: Sarah Hokom  (Read 1553 times)

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
Sarah Hokom
« on: August 08, 2015, 03:07:24 PM »
Man, what a tear jerker.  If you have any heart, what happened to Sarah Hokom today is terrible, she would have won that title with no problem.  After a terrible accident on the way to the course, she showed up and missed 2 holes carding a 7 on each and ended up losing the title by a single stroke.  Absolutely terrible.  I don't know what to say. 
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

zumagun

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Hokom
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 03:42:09 PM »
There's a causal chain of events for everything.  Sarah's 2nd place finish can't be blamed on just one pre-tournament  event.  We're assuming she would have played with the same skill and fervor car accident or not and that she would have pared those first two holes.

Also, if it were that big of a deal to the rest of the women's field, why shouldn't they all have agreed to collect extra strokes that round?  It's because they wouldn't know weather to collect 6,7,8,9,10 extra strokes because nobody knows what Sarah would have thrown those first two holes.

Paige shouldn't feel like Sarah should have won.

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 10:38:44 PM »
I am not a Sarah fan.  It's just a personality thing. I wanted Paige or Val to win from the get go (actually wanted Des Reading but that's not going to happen). However, I truly feel very sorry about what happened to Sarah. It is very tragic and I would hate to be in any one of those top FPO players shoes. 
Rob Martin
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
https://www.facebook.com/MaverickDiscGolf

SteelerDoug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 11:18:36 PM »
She had her Guardian Angel there for certain. Others have not been as fortunate In the same circumstances.

She showed courage and poise to fight through it and still stay focused enough to come so close, closer than most would have expected her.

I know she is probably beating herself up though, knowing her and her competitive spirit.  I hope not. I know she realizes she almost died today too. Some of us have had those close calls. ;)

It's all about handling it and moving forward.

"STAY STRONG SARAH"

Near-Death Experience Doesn't Slow Down Sarah Hokom
http://www.pdga.com/near-death-experience-doesnt-slow-down-sarah-hokom

MK

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 12:51:39 AM »
There's a causal chain of events for everything.  Sarah's 2nd place finish can't be blamed on just one pre-tournament  event.  We're assuming she would have played with the same skill and fervor car accident or not and that she would have pared those first two holes.

Also, if it were that big of a deal to the rest of the women's field, why shouldn't they all have agreed to collect extra strokes that round?  It's because they wouldn't know weather to collect 6,7,8,9,10 extra strokes because nobody knows what Sarah would have thrown those first two holes.

Paige shouldn't feel like Sarah should have won.

It wasn't  a  pretournament event.  Sarah's accident happened yesterday before 5th round.  She was torching the field and took 7s on the first two holes yesterday for missing them.

Paige had a genuine moment of compassion today and I think she was spot on.
Mike Krueger
KCDFC #1692
PDGA #67309
KCFDC PDGA Traveling League Director

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 07:00:26 PM »
what a whiplash moment, like the movie whiplash
espouse elucidation                                               Be excellent to each other

SteelerDoug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 11:13:22 PM »
Tough for both Sarah and Paige.  Sarah fought like the warrior I know she is, and Paige? Well, never count her out. Truly both are deserving.
Sadly, only one can win.

In my book, Sarah won with her grit, determination, poise and focus. Lessor others would have faultered.

*** Quoting PDGA article
After the live broadcast followed her for a few moments, Pierce gave a quick interview and said, “She (Hokom) should have won this. It’s not right.”

Hokom held a six shot lead going into play on Friday before that horrific car accident. If those penalty strokes, which are part of the rule book, weren’t factored in, Hokom would have walked away with the championship instead.

Pierce knew she needed to stick to the integrity of the game and play out the rest of the tournament accordingly, but seeing the emotion on her face shows just how much the events of Friday impacted many on the course.

Congratulations to Pierce and her third World Championship. Even in the circumstances, she is still very deserving of the award.