Author Topic: noob looking for disc advice  (Read 662 times)

kcufo

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
noob looking for disc advice
« on: August 15, 2017, 12:53:46 PM »
like most new players I am kind of lost when it comes to which discs would be good for a beginner.  I have looked at different websites and forums but some information and advice seem to contradict one another.  Before I get to my questions a little info about me.  First I am in my early 50's,  I have elbow, knee and hip issues so a big run up is not likely possible, a couple side steps is probably the best I will be able to manage over a complete round.  I throw right handed, forehand / sidearm on drives and mids and backhand for most putts.  I do not have a big arm and never will.  With that in mind here are the first of my prob. endless questions.

1.  Should I even be throwing a distance driver?  I have a Wraith, 175 g. but I honestly don't get the distance I think I should.  I get maybe 200' on a good day.  My throws ( which are for the most part, consistent ) drift slightly left then fade back right at the end.  I have an old BUZZZ mid that I get about 20-30' less on.
 1B.  If I should be throwing one,  should I consider throwing something lighter?  Something with lower speed rating?  One suggestion I read for newbies is to throw an understable disc because beginners usually throw with less speed which makes an understable disc perform more on the stable to overstable side.  If this is the case any suggestions?

2.  My midrange disc is a VROC 171g.  I really seem to be able to throw it decently on a straight line.  The fade seems to vary from left to right tho.  Any need to try another mid ?  Suggestions ?

My putter is an AVIAR 175 g.  I am pretty pleased with how I throw this disc but once again I am prob. not getting the distance some players get with it.  Distance doesn't bother me as long as I can keep the disc on the line I throw it on.

3.  For an average or recreational player what kind of distance should they get with a driver and a mid? 

4. Because of my hip and knee issues I prefer shorter compact courses.  Anyone wanna suggest some of their favorite courses that tend to be on the shorter side?  9 or 18 holes.

thanks for any suggestions or advice in advance.

SteelerDoug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: noob looking for disc advice
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 01:20:38 PM »
Try attending a new players league session @ phill. I hear good things about it.

Rob H

• Am Poster
  • The Other Rob H.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 01:43:23 PM »
I would focus on mastering the midrange first.  A Buzzz or Roc or Truth are all very good discs to start with. Very straight.  I can tell you from my experience, that I wish I had just stuck to the midrange until I figured it out.  I spent too much time trying to find the right driver that did what I wanted.  Then as I got better, the disc no longer did what I wanted.  Start with light weight 165g ect.  As the disc starts to turn over, move to heavier weights.  But don't change discs.

As for shorter courses: Blue Valley Kansas is a great beginner course.  Perfect for midrange and putters. https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4116

Also Sar-Ko-Par.  Nice 9 hole.  https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6914

Pleasant Hill is a nice, shorter course.
I'd be a lot better at this game if it wasn't for all these dang trees.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 02:13:11 PM »
I agree that mastering the midrange first is a good idea. Start with one or two discs until you are confident that you know what they do, a midrange and a putter. Then work the driver into your game. If you have joint issues then I would recommend that for at least your driver you go very light. Try light Blizzard or Starlite plastic from Innova or something similar from other manufacturers. The lighter weights will be easier on your joints and require less effort to get distance. Don't be afraid to go real light, in Blizzard plastic under 140 grams will float on water too. Something like a Starlite Valkyrie or Blizzard Katana take little effort to get good distance. But beware, throw them too hard and they flip easily.

Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 02:48:00 PM »
Disc recommendations:  Mako or Mako 3 are good beginner discs to add to your VRoc, which is also a good choice.  Personally, I throw a Buzzz for my midrange.  I don't agree with don't get a driver mentality.  I think you just need to be careful as to what weight and how fast/speed (first number). I wouldn't get anything faster than a speed 9.  My 2 favorite discs to recommend for beginners are  lighter weight star or gstar FD/Jackyl and a Diamond.  Other discs to consider are TL, Roadrunner, Sidewinder, Valkyrie, Breakout, or Witness.

Course recommendations for Beginners:  Pleasant Hill, Blue Valley of Kansas (Pleasant Ridge Middle School), Swope, Front 9 at Raymore, Harmon Park, William Yates Elementary, Fox Hill Flyers, and Wilbur Young from the short tees. 

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 03:32:45 PM »
Add to this Riverview Park in Platte City. If you are up north that is a great little 9 hole course for beginners. Very short holes and compact area. Several fairly technical but short holes too.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 08:37:49 PM »
They have what they call "air" versions of some discs. Usually in the 150 gr. Range. I find the new disc called a "maul"  is very straight and easy to throe. Its only a 7 speed but excellent glide.  Mine goes as far as my much higher speed drivers.

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 06:06:42 PM »
Second what KevMo said! #BlizzardsFlyFar ©
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2017: 107, 24, 16
2016: 1, 3, 18, 6
DD: 7, 108
2015: 3,2,39,2,66,33,3
2014: 3/57
2013: 4
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

kcufo

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 11:18:55 AM »
thanks for the advice everyone.  I am definitely going to play using mid and putter for now.  will be picking up a fairway driver, in a lighter weight, soon just to throw in field to get my form down.

headed out to Lenexa this evening to try and work on my game.  Might even try to get over to SMP if time allows. 

Hopefully I can get out to Pleasant Hill soon on a thurs evening.  Who usually runs the beginners league out that way?