Author Topic: list of areas/things that need work  (Read 10157 times)

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: list of areas/things that need work
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 01:31:09 PM »
Park workers knocked a bunch of the list as far as cleaning up brush this week.  We have a couple pins to be installed in near future- 10 to the left in tree line and 16 to the right in tree line.

thanks for the input.   i compiled everyone's emails and sent them over to the park department.  Disc Demon had a very detailed list as well that he PM'd me.  He also mentioned that he had thought he found a park workers disc so maybe Disc Demon can post the name.  I know that a couple of the park guys periodically check the website.

thanks to Nick and Tom and the other park workers for working so hard out there.

tmattoon

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 02:50:59 PM »
I really like the mando on 14 and doing something about 17's short tee sign ideas. I also can't tell exactly where the ob on 10 starts. It probably be kind of hard but a flag or pole on top of 3/8's gold basket would be cool. Unless you want it to be harder because you can't tell where you want to through. If thats the case then its working great.

EL KUJO

• Pro Poster
  • you dont need much, just a tiny taste
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 03:00:09 PM »
pole on top of 3/8 gold would be nice along with 16 gold. also need a post to mark the mando on 10. hopefully I can get the course marked soon for league nights. I am going to try to discuss this tonight at the LD meeting.
if its anything worth doing, its worth doing right

~Josh Kujawa
   LD&CC 4 BRC/CC 4 WW
   KCFDC# 1760
   PDGA# 78277

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 03:42:02 PM »
Great ideas.  Thanks.  The park guys will hopefully see some of your recommendations for future improvements.  I believe some benches are in the works.

There was talk of flags for some of the baskets.  not sure where that stands.  Not all the baskets(wood holes) need flags and i hope that we could get some flags for the open holes. 

#10 i was hoping to talk to the main mower named Reno.  I want him to leave me a tall strip of  grass to the right running the length of the fairway shaped like a question mark ?  for lack of better term.  leaving more area around the basket to be open and then be less area along the top of the hill where it flattens out.   i will try to get some flags put out once they do their first cut on the soccer field to mark what not to mow.  This ideas works better than an OB mando.

OB areas of grass- i have asked for a different type of seed to be planted out there to help delineate the OB.  When the fescue goes  dormant it bends over and it is hard to identify OB.  I want to get more of the broomsedge bloomstem that is currently on several holes out there for OB.  Plus the broomsedge is beautiful in the fall, winter and spring.  Even in the summer when it changes colors back it is not too tall and obnoxious to find your disc in. 

# 8 and #10 OB tall grass- i designed it to be an OB hazard that you play your lie from were it lands OB .  this way if you go for the big shot off the tee, there is a chance that if you go OB, you can make your putt to save par.  Despite what the par says, those holes are not a par 4.  Many pro players playing a gold hole that is under 500 can reach close enough to birdie  the hole.  #10,  unfortunately the wind can be a head wind so it is not as forgiving, but #8 is set up a big turnover and  with a lt to rt wind push. also this type of OB ruling will  speed up  play  since folks may not know if they go OB off the tee.  those holes are designed for just the few in town that throw 450+.  But i have talked to some who do and i know that they have reached those pins on both baskets. Those are gold holes and there should be gold holes that reward bombers and force mortals to lay up. 

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 10:56:40 AM »
Flags were installed yesterday on gold baskets
3/8 gold

jhinck2

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 11:05:01 AM »
NICE!
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

EL KUJO

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 12:42:58 PM »
alright looks like we will have to play gold next week at league

~Josh Kujawa
   LD&CC 4 BRC/CC 4 WW
   KCFDC# 1760
   PDGA# 78277

jhinck2

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 02:27:49 PM »
Tehehe and it looks like I'll be able to play next week since we have a BYE in softball. 
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

Zier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2015, 09:51:23 PM »
What time are you hoping to start next week Kujo, 5 or 5:30?

EL KUJO

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2015, 06:36:46 AM »
probably do rolling start @ 5 and try to get the last card out by 515-520ish

~Josh Kujawa
   LD&CC 4 BRC/CC 4 WW
   KCFDC# 1760
   PDGA# 78277

rockiesfan4ever

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2015, 11:06:55 AM »
Just a couple of things I've noticed:

There's some barbed wire/rusty wire laying around on a couple of holes (I know hole 4) that should probably be picked up.

Along with the 17 tee sign, is there anyway we could make the short pad tee signs for 5 and 10 closer to the ground? I know they've already been hit multiple times with throws from the long pad.
Travis Ritchie
KCFDC member since 2016
PDGA #78301
Bag Tag #199

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2015, 02:15:02 PM »
we planted  trees yesterday on the following holes
#1 -2 locations
#5 -1 location
#10-1 location
#17- 2 locations

they are just saplings but we planted 4-8 trees in a grouping.  they are spraying the grass to kill it off and then mulching a big area around the trees(10x10 foot area).

Most of the trees will likely not survive, but it is a start and when they come across some money for trees we now have some areas marked off with mulch to make the process easier.  There is also talk of planting some tall grasses in front of those locations as well. 

EL KUJO

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2015, 02:37:10 PM »
john any idea of when the other placements on 10 and 16 will be in? and if we can do anything else out there to help out let me know. I want to do brush/log pickup starting with holes 3, 6 and 7.

~Josh Kujawa
   LD&CC 4 BRC/CC 4 WW
   KCFDC# 1760
   PDGA# 78277

nscarritt

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »
A few things:

Hole #1 - clear up the line to the left placement.  The ceiling is too low IMHO to even consider going that way at this time.
Hole #6 - downed trees/brush in fairway needs to be cleaned up.  That's a broken ankle/lawsuit waiting to happen down in there!
Hole #14 - mando sign on the big tree so yahoos don't try and cheat the horseshoe approach?  I.E. Blue Valley hole #9
Hole #15 - retaining wall behind the teepad? 
Hole #17 - can they move the tee sign to another location?  When playing to the right placement in the woods, that tee sign on the short pad is in the line of fire for the average/casual player and is a distraction for the professional player off the long pad. 
Grass OB - the flags will only stay as long as people are honest and don't pull them.  How long does spraypaint last to define the OB on holes like 3, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14, 17 & 18?  This is really a tournament question, but something to think about because it isn't defined for casual play very well (if the intent is to define for casual play as well).

For grass OBs... could rip up the grass essentially forming a dirt line?
DD Bag Tag: 168

Lifetime Average (since uDisc use began) +1.8

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2015, 07:28:40 PM »
10 is in that location currently and 16 was installed as well.  16's basket has not moved into the new location yet.

My goal for grass OB delineation is to have areas of OB to be populated by bluestem sedgrebroom.  That variety of bluestem is found all over the park and is orange right now.  it also stays the same height and that makes disc hunting very easy.   so for casual play it works well and folks can see OB from great distances.

plus the orange fall color is amazing with the backdrop of green grass in fairways.  gives a golf course type feel.

thanks for the comments.  the park does read this page.  they were asking me about things that players were commenting  on  last Wed when we were out digging and planting some 45+ trees.