Author Topic: 18 Months...Discuss  (Read 3630 times)

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
    • View Profile
18 Months...Discuss
« on: September 09, 2016, 10:32:46 AM »
For those of you who do not know what I'm talking about, the PDGA has laid down an 18 month suspension on the #14 player in the world, Brad Williams. I'm just curious what everyone thinks about it. Is it a harsh penalty or do you feel he deserved it?

Here is the article that somewhat talks about the suspension.

Here is an article written by Loomis about Bradley from 2012. Not everyone knows Mr. Williams and his antics but this will possibly shed some light on the subject.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:34:32 AM by dickthediscparker »
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

joots

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 18 Months...Discuss
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 11:00:17 AM »
Whether you (as a disc golfer) like it or not, disc golf is growing bigger and bigger, therefore the PDGA is attempting to look more professional.  If a national tour player is a (jerk), and is not acting appropriately during an NT round (or whatever it is called anymore), then yes, the player should be suspended.  I am aware that the PDGA is small fries compared to other professional sports, but in order to be deemed as a professional sport, we must ask our best players to show some sort of sportsmanship and maturity.
  The article that was linked to the original post did not specify what the act was that got Bradley Williams suspended. We can speculate for days about the action that caused the PDGA do take the action it did.  No matter though.  As disc golfers, albeit professional or casual, we should stand behind the growth of our sport, and hope that the action taken will help propel the sport that we love into new possibilities.

Boom goes the Dynamite!
J. Oothoudt

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 11:07:47 AM »
I saw an interesting response to a Face Book post about this. We have all seen this 18 month suspension of Brad Williams come down now but as Mo Louis says on FB "There is no 'Example' made here unless we are told what the punishment is pertaining to. Lesson not learned."

For this punishment to have any affect on future events we, the players, need to know exactly why this punishment was meted out.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Douug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 11:11:56 AM »
I'll betcha he will sit or kneel too.

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 11:12:52 AM »
Yeah it's tough to find any details, much less juicy ones, probably something he said to someone a la trash talk. PDGA wants a bunch of McBeth clones to put disc golf in the national spotlight. Hopefully there are enough juicy details to justify an appeal. I know of someone who got suspended for a year for mooning. Hyzer bombs and F bombs should go hand in hand.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 11:15:09 AM by jamidanger »
espouse elucidation                                               Be excellent to each other

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 11:19:13 AM »
When you go to the first link you must then follow the link within the text and you will hear a breakdown about what happened in a podcast interview.
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 11:19:48 AM »
"There is no 'Example' made here unless we are told what the punishment is pertaining to. Lesson not learned."

For this punishment to have any affect on future events we, the players, need to know exactly why this punishment was meted out.

This, this, this.

I'm not a BW fan or hater.  I don't want to play a round with him but I don't wish ill will towards him either.  But I think when a prominent player of this caliber is suspended for this long - which is really freaking long - some sort of explanation should be provided regardless of how glossed over it may be.
Rob Martin
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
https://www.facebook.com/MaverickDiscGolf

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 11:21:53 AM »
He was on probation at the time, so that's factor one
espouse elucidation                                               Be excellent to each other

Douug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 11:28:36 AM »
Repeat offender. 'nough said.

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 11:38:10 AM »
Repeat offender. 'nough said.

I politely disagree with you.  Repeat offence depends on what the offence was. 

If I was ticketed for speeding a second time at 10 mph over, that would not produce a 18 month driver suspension.  Second DUI in 12 months, yeah, 18 months is reasonable.  Second vehicular manslaughter in 12 months, 18 months is not long enough.

Rob Martin

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 11:43:06 AM »
When you go to the first link you must then follow the link within the text and you will hear a breakdown about what happened in a podcast interview.

http://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2016/08/31/upshot-mcbeth-bounceback-bradley-williams-final-9s/

Starts at about 17:30 or so.

Gives a broad explanation without specific details beyond a shoulder bump and heated words.  If that is the case, yes, he should be suspended because he was on probation.  18 months is pretty stiff.
Rob Martin

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 11:47:56 AM »
The dude's a dick/psychopath.  Bottom line, he's even admitted it about himself.

He's been let off without any significant type of discipline for WAY too long.

Yes, he's a good golfer, and yes, he stands to lose some income for this, but if sanctioned tournaments are paying your way, it would behoove one to not act like a total douche in said sanctioned tournaments.  Gotta play by the rules.  We can rake the PDGA over this as much as we want, but they're not the ones that have acted this way for years, mostly unchecked.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 12:06:35 PM by phisherman_77 »

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 12:01:39 PM »
I played on his card at the Swope league with Gold setup before the Wide Open a few years back.  I think GI Dave and Keck might have been on that card. Maybe Matt Crowe too.  Memory is a little fuzzy.  I had heard the stories about him being a douchebag and not wanting to give a high five before and after rounds.  So I made it a point to give him a high five before and after the round and he did just like everyone else does.  He was a little awkward and stand offish at the beginning of the round, but he loosened up with us and it was fun round.  He threw some amazing shots and was not the db I expected. So that day he was fine and I had a pleasant experience the one time I played with him. 

However, as a professional athlete, he should act professionally and I have seen videos of him being the childish and the douchebag that is his reputation.  I think the PDGA is trying to send a message to the disc golf community.  I do think it's rather harsh ... 18 months seems excessive to me, but he has a history.       

Nova

• Pro Poster
  • I meant for it to do that.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 01:06:12 PM »
"This is gay. I play to take your money." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSZhlmXua0Y

%$#@ this guy. I'm sure that the PDGA isn't just throwing around 18-month suspensions like dollar bills in a strip club. The guy has a history and a reputation.
Nova P. -- PDGA #74995 -- KCFDC #1860

Rob H

• Am Poster
  • The Other Rob H.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 02:45:32 PM »
Just call him Happy! 1:47

http://youtu.be/8qaAKxJp0EM?t=1m47s
I'd be a lot better at this game if it wasn't for all these dang trees.