Author Topic: 2015 Midwest Amateur Championships - PDGA A/B Tier - August 15/16, 2015  (Read 30562 times)

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Midwest Amateur Championships - PDGA A/B Tier - August 15/16, 2015
« Reply #180 on: August 18, 2015, 10:57:22 AM »
Heard the same sentiment from several players.  Would like to point out a few people who normally play in pro divisions who i saw helping out.

Scott Reek - TD
Pete Cashen - Water
Cooper Arnold - Swope CD
LaRon Harris - Caddying
Ryan Keck - Caddying
Coda Hatfield - Caddying
Jamie Danger - Spotting both mornings, brought some breakfast to share
Ron Klein-Mo - Spotting, My assistant course director Saturday
Ken Franks - PGA Championship updates Sunday
Utz - Marshall duties (I'm just guessing  :-\)

Drew D Neitzel

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 18, 2015, 11:10:24 AM »
so you had 5 people actually helping.  Caddying doesn't count as helping the event.

Coda isn't local so he can get a no problems bro from that for certain....

THANK YOU all the people that did help to make this happen.  There are many, just would like to have seen more people that are typical league playing pros come out and help a few hours.  Or see them at the workdays......or see them helping beyond their game....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 18, 2015, 11:30:51 AM »
Pros at leagues aren't necessarily pros.  Lots of those people were playing the event.  I typically play pro at leagues (or Masters  :-X  ;D) but I'm only a pro at laying up from 12 feet  :-[.  I was only listing people who play pro at sanctioned events who's payout is boosted by many of the Ams playing this tournament. 

And, I do consider caddying as helping beyond their game.  The pros can help keep a group of Ams moving as they "should" know the rules better (picture Rick's dream for the RAC), can notice things an Am might not notice out on the course and report back to me, might be willing to run an errand for me or help out in other ways briefly should I have chosen to ask them to do something.

All I was saying was it was nice to see these people's smiling faces out and about at an Am only event and agree that it would have been nice to see a few more of them. 
Drew D Neitzel

jhinck2

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 18, 2015, 11:35:41 AM »
Throw it in the fairway and you don't have to worry about spotters  8).  Sorry I couldn't make it this year although I did spot a round last year. 
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 18, 2015, 12:08:47 PM »
And, I do consider caddying as helping beyond their game.  The pros can help keep a group of Ams moving as they "should" know the rules better (picture Rick's dream for the RAC), can notice things an Am might not notice out on the course and report back to me, might be willing to run an errand for me or help out in other ways briefly should I have chosen to ask them to do something.

I can see that as a much stronger value added worded this way.

Kudos for yet again having me flip flop....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 18, 2015, 01:07:15 PM »
Throw it in the fairway and you don't have to worry about spotters  8).

And if we had that good of control of our discs, we wouldn't be Ams.
Drew D Neitzel

jteater

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 18, 2015, 01:10:18 PM »
Just my 2 cents, since you asked. Too much OB at Swope. WW's 4 to5, and 17, hate it.

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 18, 2015, 01:32:08 PM »
Just my 2 cents, since you asked. Too much OB at Swope. WW's 4 to5, and 17, hate it.

The ob lines at Swope really don't protect the players, and full field tourneys should prolly not be played there... I witnessed 3 near misses in the few hours we were on the course Saturday. Getting hit by a driver would suck.

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 18, 2015, 01:39:11 PM »
I want to say that I had a great time, even though I was apparently sleep walking thru at least the first round (literally).  The second round, who the h&ll knows what I was doing.  Anyway, I digress.  Overall, it was the usual awesomeness that I've come to know from KC.  My only thing was that it felt like there was a round missing somewhere, even though my score wouldn't have mattered anyway.  I finally started playing respectable with 4 holes to go.  Whoda' thunk it.  I'm still digressing.....who cares.....it's my post!    ;D  :P

Oh yeah.....Not sure yet, as the jury is still out, but, I think there's a certain Steeler Doug, (not mentioning any names.....wait....), who's now got a bonifide mortal enemy in Bom Tutler....lol (dang...did it again....)  ::)  ;D

It's his Nemesis!  ;D
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 18, 2015, 09:36:39 PM »
I read something in the old settlers thread about ratings limitations but didn't want to thread drift. But this is where I feel like it would apply. I know the rules regarding pros playing am events. It is what it is. I don't have any problem with those guys playing in the MAC per say. It just means I have to try that much harder if I want to cash. It's an added challenge (as if the OB isn't enough). But what made me think was that it was brought up that in Majors, pros absolutely cannot play AM regardless of rating. I know the MAC is not a major, but is there anyway to establish the same rating rules as a major for this tournament?I heard a few players who were just a little disappointed that in an Amatuer championship they weren't actually competing against just amateurs. I know the system is flawed. We don't have to get into that. Just wondered if this was a possibility or not. I think it would almost make it an even more elite style tournament if there was a real am only designation.
PDGA 39363

stevet

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 19, 2015, 08:00:33 AM »
Final Round Video if you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV8Hvm7WwV8

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 20, 2015, 10:19:05 AM »
...... I know the rules regarding pros playing am events. It is what it is. I don't have any problem with those guys playing in the MAC per say......

Wait for it.....( I do this all the time, don't take offence to it from me please)

But what made me think was that it was brought up that in Majors, pros absolutely cannot play AM regardless of rating. I know the MAC is not a major, but is there anyway to establish the same rating rules as a major for this tournament?

Yes, by making it a MAJOR, which it isn't.  This is NOT a MAJOR, if it gets to that point then yeah, but how many  of the <970 are truly "PRO's"  Because by this logic..... There was only one over 970 and he was an Amateur..... He finished tied for 6th.....  Yet at AM world's there were 13 over 970+, The winner (987) topped the grouping, but there was a 141 place finisher (Missed the cut-971-Rated) a 980 finished 20, and 976 59th....

I heard a few players who were just a little disappointed that in an Amateur championship they weren't actually competing against just amateurs. I know the system is flawed. We don't have to get into that. Just wondered if this was a possibility or not. I think it would almost make it an even more elite style tournament if there was a real am only designation.

I guess elitism is an issue here, you want elitism, you should be looking to move to the "pro" level in my own mind.

If you want to compete against like minded relatively balanced individuals that are not "truly pro" then I believe that this format works.

Now......

I have mentioned to Scott that I would like to see a "RATINGS ONLY" event of this magnitude, where you play the following fields-
970+
<935-969
<900-934
<850-899
<800-849  4--Sorry Kevin!!
<799

You would only be able to play in the appropriate rated area.  You would need to have at least 12 rounds rated, and 6 within the year of the event to qualify.

So you pulled a "me" and you do have a problem with it.  But it is the way that it is to allow for a more competitive field.

The only way this can change is to go to a RATINGS based field, or get enough to make it a "MAJOR", which BTW will require more $$$ from people in the other fields to pay as you have to be current, pay for your officials tests, etc.....so you want to charge more how you gonna pitch that?

;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 12:14:51 PM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #192 on: August 20, 2015, 11:48:52 AM »
I can't believe I just read one of Jack's verbose posts in such detail I became aware that in his proposed ratings based scheme I wouldn't be able to play at all if my rating were, say, 848.....

I'm sure it's just a typo but it's fun to poke the guy sometimes.....     ::)

Ratings based would be fun provided everyone one had a valid rating.

Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 20, 2015, 12:15:24 PM »
I'm sure it's just a typo but it's fun to poke the guy sometimes.....     ::)

'DOH!!!!

:-)
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2015, 10:18:25 AM »
Thanks for the info. I was just curious how that works. It would be fun to play a ratings based event. I don't really expect the MAC to be a major. Just wondered if that's the only way for the ratings exclusion to apply or if it could be up to a TD's discretion. Now I know.
And I really don't mind playing against the pros who were at the MAC. I like playing with guys like Dick and Jose and whoever else because it makes me a better golfer. I could play intermediate if I wanted to, but I committed to advanced to play against tougher competition to better myself. So no, I honestly don't have a problem with it. I was just curious how it all worked. Thanks for clarifying.
PDGA 39363