Author Topic: Destroyer Discussion  (Read 912 times)

jhinck2

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Destroyer Discussion
« on: March 17, 2015, 10:51:14 AM »
I know I'll get lots of feedback on this.  As some of you may know, I used to be one of the select few in town that was a boss thrower.  I finally broke down and started throwing destroyers because everyone claimed they were the best controllable distance driver you could find.  Prior to that, I only ever owned one SDS in my life and I sold it to Jake Bowen for cheap because at the time I didn't think I would ever throw it...he subsequently lost it or threw it in a pond or something, but that's beside the fact.  Anyway, I did start throwing them for a bit and not too long after that got picked up by a sponsor.  Well, I'm no longer sponsored and back to throwing destroyers...I've heard all kinds of stories on what to get and what not to get.  Bottom stamped destroyers are beefy, vulcan top destroyers suck, AJ destroyers are just as good as SDS, etc etc etc.

Right now I have one regular old star destroyer in the bag from the 29th or 30th KCWO I believe.  It's gummy, I love it, but it doesn't handle a headwind.  It will soon be my straight to flippy destroyer if I had to guess.  So, now I need a straight one, a stable one, and a beefcake.  Suggestions?  I think my first option will be to pick up an AJ Destroyer, but I don't know what people have experience with color selection if anything?  White is typically stable right?
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

Mike Hyzer

Re: Destroyer Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 11:37:50 AM »
I finally broke down and started throwing destroyers because everyone claimed they were the best controllable distance driver you could find. 

Funny you should say it like that and it goes to show that there's all kinds of differing opinions on the matter. I wish I could remember who it was we were playing with at Water Works one day a few years ago (I'm not good with the names of all the touring pros). Anyway, I was throwing Destroyers at the time and this touring pro we were playing with suggested I switch to the Wraith because it is much more controllable than the Destroyer. Of course, I'm sure this is all relative to one's skill level and that may have been his line of thinking after watching me throw, which can be downright laughable at times. ;D

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 04:50:32 PM »
I always destroy everything I throw because I put more torque on the disc than an impact wrench does on lug nuts.  Accuracy is nothing.  Power is everything. 
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

ajinks

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 12:51:39 PM »
Jordan, if you're coming to the Two-Step this Friday in Neosho & Joplin, I'll have a box of Destroyers you can throw.  I've probably got 15-20 or so.  I don't know the in's and out's of what makes a destroyer "special", I just get them and throw them. 

jhinck2

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 01:05:42 PM »
Thanks Andrew but I won't be able to make it.  If you come up to City of Fountains bring that box!
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339