Author Topic: Traveling to KC  (Read 1244 times)

dtriscari

Traveling to KC
« on: May 28, 2015, 11:20:24 AM »
Hello all. My name is Dave & I'll be passing through KC on my way from Charlotte to Cheyenne late June - mid July.  I want to play one course in KS & one course in MO so I'm hoping to get some suggestions from you guys. If you only had time to play one course in each state where would you play & why? 

On a side note, I'm planning on camping in the area & would appreciate any advice on this topic as well. Right now I'm looking @ Fleming Park as an option...

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 11:22:48 AM by dtriscari »

jhinck2

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Traveling to KC
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 11:47:24 AM »
If you're camping at Fleming Park the closest course is Wilber Young Disc Golf Course at Blue Springs South High School.  However, I don't know that it is the best course on the Missouri side although it is certainly challenging and a fun course.  Most people will tell you to play WaterWorks which is just north of downtown KC.  It has been and probably always will be the best known course in the metro.  I'll let the guys from the West side comment on what course to play in KS. 
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 11:57:11 AM »
MO: Water Works or Smithville Complex (Woodhenge or Blackthorn)
KS: Lakeside Hills or if you really want a treat drive out to Perry KS. Or for time sake you can play Rosedale I guess.
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

Douug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 12:26:14 PM »
MO Waterworks because of the wide variety of holes and the views of the city.

KS Ummm, hmmm, uhhhhhh, I'd have to say Lake Perry if you want a challenge and if you're good enough to handle tight lines amongst the trees.  If not, good ole Rosie is the fav. Both courses, on top and down under.  Then go stop by at Joe's BBQ, just up the street.

Let me know when your in town. If I'm free, I'll tag along and guide you. A lil hospitality Dave.

EL KUJO

• Pro Poster
  • you dont need much, just a tiny taste
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 12:41:31 PM »
MO - waterworks for sure. but if your camping at fleming, pleasant hill is a short drive south and they have camping and disc golf right on the lake.
KS - Rosedale and a Z-man from Joe's can never go wrong
if its anything worth doing, its worth doing right

~Josh Kujawa
   LD&CC 4 BRC/CC 4 WW
   KCFDC# 1760
   PDGA# 78277

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 12:54:37 PM »
Mo - Waterworks

Kansas - 1. Perry (but it's a little out of the way, and bring tick spray),  2. Lakeside (Still a bit out of your way) 3. Rosedale (Easiest to get to, 2 courses to play if you have time, and you can't pass up a Z-Man @ Joe's BBQ)
Just Joe
West Side 4 Life!!!!

Skyhawkmd

• Am Poster
  • NOT a Professional Disc Golfer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 03:35:20 PM »
If you like camping I would recommend Pleasant Hill http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3022  you can camp right on the course and they have electric sites there also.  $6 for a tent with no electric or $11 for tent or RV at electric site.
Matt Dixon
The Used Car Factory INC.
Buddys Service Center
3035 SW US 40 Hwy E.B.
Blue Springs, MO. 64015
PDGA #55098

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 05:25:43 PM »
I live by a goldmine but never been to Perry except when it was flagged for layout. I'll have to make time. Greg Justus has invited me but always too busy.
I've also never played Liberty but here it's quite a gem too. I'm surprised nobody mentioned that one although Waterworks has always been considered the premier course in past. The Liberty course is pretty new so maybe that's why.
Steven Disc Glover

Crispian

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 06:16:12 PM »
I agree with waterworks in Missouri. I also agree with Lakeside Hills in Kansas. It's in Olathe. It is a beautiful course, with a lot of long holes and some tunnel shots. Rosedale and Joe's KC barbecue are both landmarks, though so those are good choices for Kansas too.
Crispian Lynn Paul PDGA #67456
Kansas City Disc Golf Diva
Former KCFDC Board Secretary
KCFDC Newsletter
crispianpaul@hotmail.com

Play disc golf. Move around. It's cool.

dtriscari

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 09:37:20 PM »
MO Waterworks because of the wide variety of holes and the views of the city.

KS Ummm, hmmm, uhhhhhh, I'd have to say Lake Perry if you want a challenge and if you're good enough to handle tight lines amongst the trees.  If not, good ole Rosie is the fav. Both courses, on top and down under.  Then go stop by at Joe's BBQ, just up the street.

Let me know when your in town. If I'm free, I'll tag along and guide you. A lil hospitality Dave.

Thanks SteelD. I'll let ya when I nail down the dates for sure.   Having a guide would be ideal!

dtriscari

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 10:00:24 PM »
Wow! I realize now that you guys are just as spoiled as we are here in Charlotte!  I'm finding it very hard to decide on only two courses, so now I'm debating whether or not to stick around KC for an extra day to check out a few more courses.  ...well, at least I know where I'll be eating lunch! 

Douug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 10:03:09 PM »
HEY HEY HEY. ... (a wacky racers Muttley laugh...)