Author Topic: Wide Open 2016  (Read 4852 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Wide Open 2016
« on: June 22, 2015, 12:46:04 PM »
What did you like, what didn't you like about this year's event that you would want to see, not see next year?

Let's get the ideas as they are fresh in our heads.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
Re: Wide Open 2016
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 12:55:21 PM »
would have liked to see a final 9 for all pro divisions
espouse elucidation                                               Be excellent to each other

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 01:03:30 PM »
Lots of folks in the gallery wondered about a leaderboard. I asked Dick about this and he said ours is unusable having been marked on with permanent ink. He also stated the PDGA provides on at NT events which I believe we are slated for 2016?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 01:06:03 PM by CD »
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2017: 107, 24, 16
2016: 1, 3, 18, 6
DD: 7, 108
2015: 3,2,39,2,66,33,3
2014: 3/57
2013: 4
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 01:06:01 PM »
Lots of folks in the gallery wondered about a leaderboard. I asked Dick about this and he said ours is unusable having been marked on with permanent ink. He also stated the PDGA provides on at NT events which I believe we are slated for 2016?
-Agree, and the NT for next year hasn't been decided.  Generally I think at the fall summit meeting they make those decisions.  With Worlds in Emporia, the GBO probably won't be an NT.  I don't think that Des Moines likes the NT, which would leave the Majestic and us realistically, unless someone in St. Louis really drove it.....

would have liked to see a final 9 for all pro divisions

really?  The year I did that no one liked it.....
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 02:08:20 PM by CD »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 01:39:49 PM »
Loved having lunch during the rounds and beer on Sunday vs. Player Party Saturday night.  This was the best improvement.

Swope Gold plus a second round on any day is a bit much.  Probably pretty tough though scheduling Swope so all pools can play it.

As a masters age player, I don't necessarily feel like I need to watch a masters age final 9.  I'm sure there would be opinions on both sides of this.

Rob Martin
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
https://www.facebook.com/MaverickDiscGolf

Shucky Ducky

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 02:28:38 PM »
First off thanks Dick for all your hard work!

Yes, lunch being offered instead of a players party was a nice touch.

Making us OLD players play Swope on the same day as another round, my body hates you Dick... ;D.

This was finally my first Wide Open as I always had other conflicts the previous years but I enjoyed it very much. Everyone that helped pull off such a great event should be very proud!!!

Well done K.C.

Nova

• Pro Poster
  • I meant for it to do that.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 02:59:17 PM »
Get the same catering company next year, please. The fish tacos and the spicy sausages were friggin' great. I would pay money to sit down in their restaurant, if they ever decided to do it that way instead of catering. That's how good it was. I kept my ears open, and the air was filled with the buzz of compliments for the food from many people.

Speaking of food, those half-tea half-lemonade drinks really hit the spot on a hot day. They go down smooooth.

Water Works: There was a stretch from holes 3-7, maybe 2-7 with no cold water access of any kind. Everyone on my card (okay, all three of us) were chugging a half-liter or more every 2-3 holes, so this stretch really parched us badly, especially considering it was 95 degrees with a howling south wind further sucking all the marrow from our bones. I know it's hard to get down to that area with heavy equipment, but someone with a bigger brain than mine should think about how to get this done.

Could we get Dick a little marine battery-powered microphone and amp? It would make the introduction of the final round and the award ceremony just a little classier. I'm not saying his shouting isn't classy, mind you, just that electrical amplification of the human voice is pretty cool technology.

The courses looked awesome. Everyone who works so hard to keep them maintained, and to set-up for the event, and the city of KC for mowing, should be damned proud of what you did and do. If all of the above are the icing on the cake, this is the tasty, tasty cake itself-- absolutely essential, and without it, the frosting is useless.

The hay bale wall on #2 at Swope was neat. Everyone knows why already.
Nova P. -- PDGA #74995 -- KCFDC #1860

ekolk

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 04:14:13 PM »
We can always do better, but this was freaking awesome. A million thanks to all who gave time and energy to this event. It takes a village! I saw our old leader boards today in storage. I think I can use a dry erase to remove the permanent marker and the other one is clean. So remember those for next year.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 05:01:37 PM »
We can always do better, but this was freaking awesome. A million thanks to all who gave time and energy to this event. It takes a village! I saw our old leader boards today in storage. I think I can use a dry erase to remove the permanent marker and the other one is clean. So remember those for next year.

I was thinking the same thing, and I bet Hal Baby has something to remove it with.  I thought that there had to be a few in storage.

I'd still like to see "green" rope for holding the "galley" back, as it doesn't show up as brightly in photos as well.

I will of course air my grievances with Dick at our annual Festivus! ;D
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Douug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 06:44:14 PM »
THE GOOD  (notice UPPER case)

-  DICK PARKER and his Company of Volunteers (APPLAUSE APPLAUSE!!!)  They really do need a standing ovation.  Really, they do!!!  So if you see them out there somewhere, give them another "Thank You". They deserve it.
-  The Course Coordinators and their Volunteers for preparing their courses along with those involved in work days too.
-  The TD's and their Assistant's for making each round go smooth, ensuring there was plenty of water available and posted the scores right away, both on the board and online.
-  The daily lunches and their volunteers. GREAT IDEA!!!  Bring it back please.
-  DOUBLE KUDO's for the brew.  Hit the spot at the right time.
-  The course designer who strategically placed those boulders so CD could see the Final 9.
-  The Player's pack was full of some strang nifty disc's for us AM's to take to Edwards AFB and experiment with.  "No I'm not complaining Mr Tracy."
-  The Grip bag drawings were a great success from what I've observed.  One player played his worse round ever, and won a GRIP!  Another winner was a spectator who never knew what disc golf was till her bf (name held at player's request but placed in the top 5 in ADV) brought her to the Final 9.  Now she's hooked!!!
-  SteelerDoug's "Glimpse of Brilliance" ;)
-  The Sponsor's for without their contributions it wouldn't of been possible.
-  And overall KCFDC and to those that worked "behind the scenes, "We Salute You".
-  ~ps Kudo's goes to Mr Jack for his valuable input ensuring us Masters and GrandMasters play one round on the hottest day.  ;)

THE "Not So" Bad (notice lower case) ;)

-  The grass was higher than normal but it's understood due to the rains
-  No leaderboard used in Final 9 so I was constantly bantored with the live score requests, "Who's in the lead dude?"  "How's Eagle doing Sir?" "Where's McBeast at Steeler?"
-  Rosedale could of been a lil more challenging IMHO.  WW was a perfect mix of simplicity and difficulty.  But I understand it was the "flow of the game" plan.
-  Would prefer a new course next year instead of playing Rosie twice.  Is that possible?  If under consideration, I vote "Bad Rock Creek"
-  Disappointed at the lack of Pro's that didn't "show" but hey that's means others got the "dough", that usually don't so a Win-Win!!!

and THE UGLY (more of being a grip here)

- Ummmm, hmmm.   ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 07:02:35 PM by SteelerDoug »

EL KUJO

• Pro Poster
  • you dont need much, just a tiny taste
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 07:26:38 AM »
Bad Rock Creek would be an awesome course to add to the KCWO, she just needs a little bit more work done to her this year. (more trash cans, benches, brush/ limb clearing)
if its anything worth doing, its worth doing right

~Josh Kujawa
   LD&CC 4 BRC/CC 4 WW
   KCFDC# 1760
   PDGA# 78277

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 08:53:08 AM »
I enjoyed everything about this year....except for my putting :-[

Thanks for all the hard work Dick, Club, and volunteers.

I'll take lunch over a players party anyday.  Tony Todd's tacos were amazing!
Loved the course selection. 

Only Con:  We did need a scoreboard for the Finals.  I had no idea how close it got after hole 16 (7th hole of final 9).  If McBeth doesn't get lucky and slam into the tree right next to the basket on 17, and Eagle makes his putt, we could have been looking at a sudden-death playoff.  But nobody had any idea what the scores were.  Unless you were checking your phone, and that was delayed.  Scoreboards are awesome.  Even if it is just a Permanent marker written on Jack Lowe's back 8) 
Just Joe
West Side 4 Life!!!!

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 09:04:29 AM »
Scoreboards are awesome.  Even if it is just a Permanent marker written on Jack Lowe's back 8)

Now that would be funny......
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Shucky Ducky

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 10:24:43 AM »
Scoreboards are awesome.  Even if it is just a Permanent marker written on Jack Lowe's back 8)

Now that would be funny......

Possibly the funniest thing I've ever read on this forum!  :o  ;D

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 11:32:07 AM »
As for the Leader Board. Yes, everyone is right and I totally screwed the pooch there. I checked them all out the Saturday before the event and realized I couldn't get the crap off. Instead of doing my due diligence of finding someone to help me fix it I went on to the next fire and started putting out those flames and failed to go back and fix the problem. I'm sorry and I know that totally was a bone head move. I should have put that higher on my priority list. Lesson learned for sure. I felt like an idiot during the final 9, trust me.

The lunch/hospitality tent was a HUGE success. I thought there would be more push back by not having a party but my staff and I agree that being able to go to sleep on Saturday night was a gift to us. And we also were able to feed every person (most at least) that played the event, a quality meal 2 days in a row for the same cost as the party. I was so happy that worked out. Now I want to improve on that experience.

Nova mentioned me yelling at the crowds instead of a PA system. I did have one. Sunday was a crappy day for me. I came under an abrupt illness that shut me down for most of the morning/day. I worked through it slowly. At the moment we should have been setting up the PA, it was beginning to rain and I was just coming around to life again. I could barely see straight and I had not eaten since the morning breakfast that did me in. I didn't get my crew assembled and I didn't even know what to do with the rain coming down. I didn't know if it would last and I wasn't going to risk borrowed equipment that I had no room in my budget to replace. Things happen and that day everything seemed to happen at once. Sorry about that too.

As for the courses, I think they were set exactly the way I wanted them. The flow was perfect and everything seemed to go to plan. BV was the only course I was unhappy about. In hind sight I would have scratched that and went with a more manicured and easy to practice/follow course. Lesson learned.

On the outside the event went wonderfully. I saw more happy faces than frowns (other than peoples golf games) and I had more compliments than complaints. <- That is a SHOCKER!!

On the inside the event was one mistake after another. I was unhappy with many things that I planned to shine on. It still bothers me. The stress of running an event like this is something many of you will never understand. I don't expect you too.

I hope that most people saw the good and ignored the bad because what we did do good, we did great. Decisions I made as far as my vision of the event were a bigger success than I could ever of imagined. I'm so glad that everyone walked away feeling as if they were at a Top Tier event that other events should look to as a standard. (Others comments not mine)

Mostly, I have to thank each person that helped. I know I can't do this on my own. At some point in the coming days I will acknowledge everyone of you but for now I have to clean up the mess I have lying on my floor. Hopefully, my lowe message is not to loweish and you read to the end because I have to say this one last thing.

THANK YOU KANSAS CITY! You my friends are the best community in disc golf. You are the reason we are great. You made this happen and you continue to make it happen. If I decide to do this again, I will be better suited but I will still screw it up.

Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru