Author Topic: Back to Field Work... Oh, joy?  (Read 945 times)

Marc Johnson

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Back to Field Work... Oh, joy?
« on: July 05, 2015, 11:33:22 PM »
The KC Wide Open is over and gone for the year and there's a little over a month before the MAC arrives in August. I'm not sure on how many player's do this (I consider myself a very analytical person), but I immediately started listing everything that didn't go as planned that weekend.

I am seeing where I need to improve (I play Recreational, so I know improvement areas equal EVERYWHERE!), and listed some top choices to work on:

1. Developing a confident run-up to improve driving distance (I have been throwing accurately from a stand still, averaging 250-275 with a lucky max at 300ft with the right tail wind.).
2. Narrowing the available options of which discs to carry and becoming more familiar with them. I've read about 5-6 discs type total with 2-3 each in different molds or weights works great.
3. Putting practice every day.
4. Avoid the courses except as an award on the weekends to apply what you've learned.
5. Develop the proper mentality and sticking to a game plan regardless of a bad throw.

I know I'm a ways off from the level I'd like to see myself playing at. Heck, we would all love to play better. So, I'm not really asking for anything but wondering if anyone has any thoughts on field work and where they've gained the biggest improvements in their game.

I've also attached a copy of a spreadsheet my wife made for me of all the discs I own. Alot of them, I don't throw, FYI. I color coded which ones are stable, under and overstable.

Thanks to anyone who comments or even takes the time to read this.
Marc Johnson
PDGA # 64386
KCFDC # 1700
2015 DD KC Bag Tag #107 >>> #188 >>> #173
2015 KCFDC Bag Tag #326 >>> #280

Steve the Quiz Berry

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Back to Field Work... Oh, joy?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 12:43:27 AM »
Uhhh... I dont see the copy of the spread sheet.. that you compiled.. an supposedly attached?
My suggestions is to hit beginners league. .and maybe the so called pro's , that might attend, can analyze your game and give you better instructions. .on how to improve your game. Practice,  Practice,  Practice. .
And dont pay any attention. ...to the hecklers (intermediate players)..Forget them and focus on your game... 

T Dog

• Am Poster
  • John 15:18-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 08:07:41 AM »
I recommend blaming your equipment.  It is easier than taking responsibility.

Failing that, this vid has helped me with going back to the basics: 1. Understable-ish Discs 2. Hyzer Release 3. Thumb Placement.

https://youtu.be/0Vrqk5dUgU8

All that being said, looks like you are on the right course (No pun intended).

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 09:15:57 AM »
Can your wife come catalog all of my discs? ;D

Practicing bad habits is worst than not practicing at all.

Be sure you are comfortable with what you do.

Pay for a lesson to get pointers to work on.

Attend leagues, play above your level, play pro, its a $5 clinic....ask questions, ask for help, observe those that you feel you desire to be and learn from them by watching.

Aaron Rodgers sat on the sidelines for years watching Favre......just sayin.....but then so did Bono and Grbac from Montana and Young, so it doesn't always work....but those in KC think it will.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

KCWaldo

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 10:56:58 AM »
Man I say to heck with field work, good habits in the field for me lead to crappy rounds.  On the course there is never a perfect shot like the field.  Pick a tight course you hate and play for pars, don't try to birdie anything. 
Duane Waldman

PDGA# 59362
KCFDC# 1598

Skyhawkmd

• Am Poster
  • NOT a Professional Disc Golfer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 11:40:08 AM »
I really enjoy heckling Steve.....  Can't really think of anyone better to do it to....
Matt Dixon
The Used Car Factory INC.
Buddys Service Center
3035 SW US 40 Hwy E.B.
Blue Springs, MO. 64015
PDGA #55098

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 08:58:52 AM »
Besides the normal things that everyone always points out, is work on your upshots.  You can have a crappy drive, and still recover with a good upshot.  Work on the different angles they can be needing to go from/at.  Also, I'll second what Jack stated.  8)
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

Flying J

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 03:08:25 PM »
Watch videos and pay attention to every little detail.  Don't watch them for entertainment only, be a student of the game.

Don't ONLY play casual rounds.  In the latest issue of Disc golfer magazine there is an interview with Ricky Wysocki done by our own Dan Loomis, and in it he credits his rapid growth to throwing multiple drives from each hole on a course and playing every single shot to completion.  That way you are getting two or three rounds in one. 

Putt for 15 to 30 minutes every day, concentrating inside 20 feet.  Don't be that guy who practices 35 footers before a round, missing them all.
Jose Ossa
Southern Nationals raised.
#1000bound

Nova

• Pro Poster
  • I meant for it to do that.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 03:31:29 PM »
Watch videos and pay attention to every little detail.  Don't watch them for entertainment only, be a student of the game.

I just had the most amusing exchange with my spouse about this. We were watching the first 12 of the final round of the Rocky Mountain Championship from last month on YouTube, and she had to get up to do something. She came back after it was over, and asked me who had won. I honestly did not know, because I wasn't paying attention to the score. I was watching form on drives, line selection, putting form, and so on.

This lead into a discussion of watching tennis, which we both watch and play competitively. "So when you're watching Rafa Nadal," I asked her, "you're not thinking 'oh look how he bends his knees and gets good topspin on the forehand?'" 

Apparently she is not.  ;D
Nova P. -- PDGA #74995 -- KCFDC #1860