Author Topic: How to make an etiquette call?  (Read 5993 times)

Steve the Quiz Berry

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
How to make an etiquette call?
« on: July 06, 2015, 01:20:12 AM »
For several of the rounds ive played lately. .ive had a so called recreational player on my card... who tends to get in my Perifial vision... while I am putting and moves his arms around..  . Ive tried to explain that I believe he can not do this, and have warned him several times during league play.
Now I know for a fact...or its a good possibility that this player will wind up on my card during a actual tournament.
My question is:: How do I stroke this person for this...or can I?
Do I warn him once and next time he does this he gets how many strokes
Does someone on the card have to second this ?

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Rob Martin
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
https://www.facebook.com/MaverickDiscGolf

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
Re: How to make an etiquette call?
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 09:19:21 AM »
it's the throwers responsibility to clear all distractions
espouse elucidation                                               Be excellent to each other

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 09:33:13 AM »
The best way to combat this is to do so before the round starts.

I would have a conversation that starts with, hey, looks like we are playing together.  I know during league I have asked you to refrain from moving in my vision field.

I don't want to have to worry about it during the round, so just a little friendly reminder to refrain from doing so.  Since we have played together already, do you have any pointers that I can stop doing as well?  I want to make sure we are only distracted by our shots, not by each other.

Be sure to let one of your card members hear what you are saying.

If it happens quickly, try not to be too rude, give a gentle, hey stop please...if he continues stop your putt, let him know that is his first courtesy, and the rest of your card, explain it, and then from there on out mark each instance with a verbal warning to the individual as well as notating to members on the card to mark accordingly.

I have done this with a couple of people....well ok, only one, who has an even # PDGA.....and told him before the round, dude, your louder than me, you don't follow etiquette, and I am going to call you on these things today because I don't have the patience I normally do.  A rather smooth round with him at that point

Just as others have warned me about my vocal outbusrts during events, I have been given warnings before the round as well, and it does help keep my head aware to internalize those thoughts, some times it works, sometimes.....well.....I am loud.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 11:02:17 AM »
I'd say the real best way to combat this is to move up divisions. Yes it may still happen in higher divisions but hopefully less frequently and there is a better knowledge of etiquette. Recreational is a division where unfortunately that behavior is not seen as bad most of the time. However if you stay in Rec then I think what Jack suggested is spot on.
PDGA 39363

Skyhawkmd

• Am Poster
  • NOT a Professional Disc Golfer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 11:43:07 AM »
Rob Jackson stop doing this to poor Steve....  Thanks Management
Matt Dixon
The Used Car Factory INC.
Buddys Service Center
3035 SW US 40 Hwy E.B.
Blue Springs, MO. 64015
PDGA #55098

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 12:36:46 PM »
It happens in all divisions, and people get snippy about it.  There is an unwritten rule that states "don't call someone on the faults" in disc golf.  That makes it tough to legitimize our sport.  Not only should you call yourself out, but you should be calling others and asking for ruels advice as you play.

I am guilty as others...but then I don't play "pro" for yet another reason in the many of "1000 reasons why Jack Lowe is still playing AM"
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 01:24:14 PM »
Just ask him to move back out of your peripheral. If he refuses, make sure the card is aware you are calling a courtesy violation warning. The next time in the round it happens, a stroke is added to his score. Or, use Axe Cop's method, "I'll cut your head off".

SteelerDoug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 02:26:24 PM »
It's simple.  Just move up.
Out of sight, out of mind.
And you will be glad you did.

Nova

• Pro Poster
  • I meant for it to do that.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 02:37:47 PM »
Now I know for a fact...or its a good possibility that this player will wind up on my card during a actual tournament.
My question is:: How do I stroke this person for this...or can I?

Maybe the best time to address this is during warm-ups while waiting for the two-minute warning. Without calling out anyone in particular, perhaps say something that everyone can understand without taking offense, like "Good morning (gents|ladies), I'm sure we're all friends, but since this is a tournament, attention to the rules is important too. Good luck!"
Nova P. -- PDGA #74995 -- KCFDC #1860

Steve the Quiz Berry

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 03:00:03 PM »
I explained the rule 5 rounds ago, and its continued every round with a warning....This person has been made well aware of the rule.But continues to be warned his one time allowed each round.....
Reminds me of the old Raiders Games agaist the Chiefs Now...
So as im seeing the rule..;:  every person is allowed a warning for courtesy violations..
Are there 18 different types of courtesy rules violations..if so a person could make a warning violation on every hole.

Nova

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 03:05:40 PM »
Actually no. A courtesy violation warning is issued once, then any courtesy violation which follows is a stroke, even if it is a different kind of dis-courtesy.

Steve the Quiz Berry

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 03:56:47 PM »
In a diiferent look at the rule..
Let me explain another example:::.::
Say you are playing in a huge tournament, at the Professional level..
Youve made the final card and are tied for the lead on final.hole
And you have not been warned
And 1st place pays xxxx amount of dollars, and a free icecream from Dairy Queen..for example.
Do you get your warning on the drive? Or do you get it on the putt?

Nova

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 04:06:27 PM »
This comes up a lot in pro sports-- the question of whether a referee should tone down their gaze when a match is in a critical phase. Some say yes, that the ref needs to let the players play and turn a blind eye in the crucial moments. Others say no, the rules are the same on the first point and the last, and that the ref's job is to be uniform in the application of the rules.