Author Topic: speed rating vs disc weight  (Read 819 times)

kcufo

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
speed rating vs disc weight
« on: August 21, 2017, 11:30:11 AM »
My question is. .....  if someone has a problem getting decent distance on a drive is it better to go with a disc that's lighter weight or find a disc with a lower speed rating.  I throw a wraith but don't have the arm strength to really air it out.  My thought process is that dropping weight from say 175 grams to 140-145 grams will allow me to throw it with more speed.  Are my thoughts on the right path or am I not understanding how speed rating work?

ekolk

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: speed rating vs disc weight
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 02:03:59 PM »
These are very useful videos: Here's one on your question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvpdTf_FjjM

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 01:41:37 PM »
While dropping to a disc with less weight may help you reach the intended flight characteristics, you'll have better luck dropping to a slower disc which has a lower velocity requirement.  In your case, throwing something slower like (and staying in the Innova family) a Valkyrie or even a Leopard would potentially have similar flight characteristics. 

Of course, this is all dependent upon you generating spin or "snap" on the disc, which is often the reason discs don't fly like they should, especially with beginners.

ekolk

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 12:42:11 PM »
Very much agreed there Timko. And as you know, my bag is full of under stable slower discs for that reason.