Author Topic: 2014 Team Challenge  (Read 5934 times)

thankyoupeter

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
2014 Team Challenge
« on: January 20, 2014, 10:55:52 AM »
Has there been any discussion about dates, courses, qualifying, etc. for the 2014 Team Challenge? 

Tracy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Team Challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 07:04:29 PM »
The 2014 Team Challenge will take place on June 7th and 8th. Let's allow the dust to settle from this weekends Ice Bowl.  Then the Team Challenge will be on the radar.

Tracy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 02:49:00 PM »
First order of business.  East Side, who is your captain? Dick Parker has agreed to remain captain of West Side even though he's TD of the 2014 KC Wide Open.   

The rules remain essentially the same as posted last year: http://kcfdc.org/forum/index.php?topic=8422.msg73993#msg73993.  I'll rework anything that doesn't seem clear and re-post here. 

A procedural reminder; each team may be formed in any fashion the captain chooses. Only two restrictions are the composition of each round starting lineup as stated in the rules and 20 player maximum roster size.  (lineup submission deadline was never for restricting roster additions/changes, rather it was for acquiring team shirts on time, which leads to the following) 

Small organizational change this year.  I will not be organizing team uniforms for both sides.  As the event director, I'll be glad to help each captain as necessary, as I feel it is important to have a team uniform.   Captains can go for new jerseys, if the wish, or stay with the past jersey.  If the latter, I can put you in touch with either of the t-shirt printers we have used.

Note:  Since it's an even year (2014), West side will host two Sunday rounds.  East side hosts one round on Saturday afternoon.   

East Side, please select a captain for your team in the next couple of weeks. I'd like to have each side determine which KCFDC course they plan to host their part of this at by the end of February. 

Thanks,

Your Team Challenge Event Director - Tracy

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 01:19:18 PM »
Thought it was Bake Jowen??
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 01:23:35 PM »

Small organizational change this year.  I will not be organizing team uniforms for both sides.  As the event director,

Your Team Challenge Event Director - Tracy

That's part of the Event Directors job, I thought?

Maybe First and foremost, we should cover what the Event Directors job is...?
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 02:31:53 PM »
Tank, have you changed your address to Raymore yet? 

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 04:26:39 PM »
Thought it was Bake Jowen??

Actually, David V. was chosen at the end of the event. Although, a few people have cried... I mean expressed their opinion that they did not know David was chosen. So I believe the East Side should make a choice. Now, how you will do that is a different discussion.

For Kansas, We will play Lakeside Hills. Although, I wouldn't be opposed to Playing P.C. and Lakeside. Dunno if it against the rules to play 2 different courses.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 04:28:31 PM »

This has got me thinking lately. If someone moves mid calendar year, would they be able to play for either side? At least in the first year of the move? Or are they automatically an East Sider? Does the person get a say?
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

thankyoupeter

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 04:28:58 PM »
So is Tank officially an east sider now?  Has the east course been determined yet? 

Tracy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 04:52:15 PM »
I can certainly add a section in the event description/rules that defines what is expected of the TD. It has always been my intention to gradually place more of the organizational responsibilities of this event on the Captains each year. That said, those expectations would, in my mind, annually be reduced 'til a TD is essentially just a day of MC. 

Putting team jersey responsibilities on the Captains is a change that gives the team control over their sides identity.  Team identification shouldn't be dictated by a TD.

I tried to have the KCFDC VP of each state be captain the first year, but those in power didn't want in.  Eventually, I had to plead for volunteers. Then last year, to avoid the headache, I self chose myself and randomly invited Ryan for East Side.  As TD again this year, and as part of relinquishing responsibility, I've already dumped captain selection on the people from each side. I asked that each side have their captain selected by the end of last year's event.  West Side wrangled in Dick. But East Side couldn't come to a decision. I have heard several different names tossed around for East Side captain; GI Dave, Eastwood, Jake, but no one for certain has been announced as their guy.  I know they'll figure it out soon enough.

Tracy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 05:04:06 PM »

This has got me thinking lately. If someone moves mid calendar year, would they be able to play for either side? At least in the first year of the move? Or are they automatically an East Sider? Does the person get a say?

Sort of ran into this issue last year. Where is ones permanent residence the weekend of the event would be priority one. However if JohnnyDiscer qualified at an event for one side, then prior to the event, moved to the other side, he would play for the side he qualified in.  I think it would end up being a case by case decision, with the Captains coming to agreement.

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 05:15:41 PM »
So is Tank officially an east sider now? 

haha!  I don't think so, but he's over here quite a bit though. 

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 05:16:25 PM »
And GI Dave is a perfect captain. 

Tracy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 05:26:06 PM »
For Kansas, We will play Lakeside Hills. Although, I wouldn't be opposed to Playing P.C. and Lakeside. Dunno if it against the rules to play 2 different courses.

Hmmm, I think the format should remain the same, one course for two rounds on Sunday.  However, if this years captains want to override that, then new precedence for Sunday course flexibility would be in place. Power to the Captains!   ;)

KCDiscDawg

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Kansas City Disc Dogs
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 09:55:55 PM »
And GI Dave is a perfect captain.
I second that statement..
>>>------> Earth<>Wind<> Fire<>Water<------<<<

Tony Burnett aka " Dirty Bird Dog"
PDGA #53029
KCFDC#1532