Author Topic: 2014 Team Challenge  (Read 5380 times)

Tracy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Team Challenge
« Reply #135 on: May 18, 2014, 09:10:06 PM »
The allegiance amendment proposal has been dropped. You must live on the side you play for.

This is a fundraising event with each participants $10 donation going towards course tree planting projects.

Each team will field 16-20 players.  It is an Open, or if that term is somehow confusing, an unrestricted, event now.  There are no classification requirements or restrictions. Everyone keeps saying "keep it simple."  This is as simple as it gets and was decided upon months ago.

There are but a handful of competitive women disc golfers in the area.  Forcing women representation on each team at 10-12.5% of the team is terribly disproportionate to the actual population of competitive players in the KC area.  I hope someday, the women's competitive disc golf population becomes as vibrant as the men's is.  When that happens, perhaps a women's Team Challenge can be organized. I do truly hope so because the women disc golfers around here are all amazing people.

Now for the real account of what happened:
As I posted months ago in this thread, it was all along my plan to eventually make this event player unrestricted, including not having a women requirement.  I felt that this year was as good as any to make that change. I first spoke with Dick about the change. He initially said he wanted to keep the women specifically. After some convincing on the phone, I got him to agree with whatever East side would agree to.  I think he figured East side would not agree to a pure unrestricted format.  I then communicated with Jose that I wanted to change the event to an all open format.  And he agreed to it. I specifically stated that this also meant no women required. Jose was ok with that; agreeing with me that it was right to have the best on each side playing, not restricted by classification.. I was actually quite surprised, but also glad he approved the change to unrestricted play, because that is what I envisioned all along. Jose, you had the opportunity to disapprove of this then, but did not. To support the fact that what I just stated is what was agreed upon, consider the following: We proceeded with qualifiers, this year, without a requirement for women because that was the change that was enacted.  Otherwise, I would have made sure the captains had at least one woman make each team via qualifier as we had done in the past.

The change to an unrestricted format for the Team Challenge was finalized months ago. Qualifiers were held in accordance with the agreed upon change.  That's it. That simple. That said, either team may carry anyone they want to fill their roster.  There are no longer any classification requirements for the KCFDC Team Challenge. If a side wants to bring more or less masters than the other side, they are welcome to. If a side wants to bring more or less women than the other side, they are welcome to, same for juniors, legends, toddlers.  whatever, it's UNRESTRICTED.  Go Team Challenge!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 09:50:48 PM by Tracy »

Flying J

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2014, 09:17:42 PM »
This years Captains have agreed that the Team Challenge should be class unrestricted. What does that mean?  There will be no age protected slots on the teams. There will be no gender protected slots on the team. Earn your spot on a team via qualifier or convince your captain that you're skilled enough to garner a hand picked spot.

This is the record on page 5. 

I voted for no age protected slots.  This is my response to the vote:

Hi Tracy,

I'm sorry for the delay in response.  I am not feeling very well today and wanted to write a better response than what this will be, but I want to do this now and not later.

2.  Team selection will be the same as Dick mentioned he'd do for the West.  My first 5 qualifiers will be the top five scores during the Kan-U-Wyco.  Then I will use leagues to fill the squad, reserving my Captain's pick for special cases. 

3.  I am for non-divisional play.  All open.

Again, I'm so sorry to be late and short in this response.  It bothers me that it reads this way :)

I hope your shoulder is feeling much better!

Take care.

Jose Ossa

My error lies in not having accounted for the "women's division" when considering non-divisional play.  My decision was purely based on age and skill level.  Not gender.

Tracy, again, if you made it clear that women were not to be included in the format then I consider it a grievous oversight on my part and for that I apologize. 

Tavish Carduff and Amanda Jackson will be competing for the East and we are proud to have them on our roster!
Jose Ossa
Southern Nationals raised.
#1000bound

Tracy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2014, 09:18:50 PM »
The BV East Side qualifier brought four players to Captain Jose's team:

Steve Dresser
Mike Thomas
Zeke Henry
Tony Burnett

They did not have enough players there that we're not already committed to other events to fill the fifth spot available that day. As such, Jose will be selecting one player to fill his squad to the minimum 16.

Both sides are having issue with players not able to play all three rounds.  So each captain will be picking up up to four alternates to use as they choose for each round.  Any player may start in any round.  But no mid-round substitutes. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 09:20:59 PM by Tracy »

Tracy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2014, 09:38:14 PM »
For the record, from a personal message I sent to both Dick and Jose in early March, here is the exact question to Jose's answer:

3) Do you want to discuss any major changes to the format?  The event is still young and finding its way.  I would like to suggest dropping the class restrictions; that is, all player spots are Open, no Masters age or Women required (though you can carry them if you wish).  I suggest this because, a) we have plenty of very good masters age players that will make each team by default.  b) the women's interest in this event has been sadly low.

3.  I am for non-divisional play.  All open.

I don't see any thing in my question that made it unclear about my intention to remove the women's division requirement.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 10:03:28 PM by Tracy »

Flying J

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2014, 10:02:48 PM »
We wish to carry them. 

I made a terrible mistake.  I made my bed and I will now lay in it. 

Our awesome women will continue to play for the East on my watch.
Jose Ossa
Southern Nationals raised.
#1000bound

Tracy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2014, 10:09:58 PM »
Jose, all the heat belongs on me.  This is a change I wanted for the event.  I knocked on the door, you opened it and I ran through.

Now let's get on to the fun!

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 19, 2014, 09:23:38 AM »
Do we have any women that would like to play for the West Side???

I'm taking applications....because I don't want the East Side to have any more excuses than they would normally.

I know Mina will be in Japan, along with all of our Masters. 
Joe Hesting

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 19, 2014, 10:13:30 AM »
What about Angie Biondo?  I haven't seen her around much, since LDO.   

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2014, 03:27:11 PM »
Jon knows a girl who might be willing/able to play. She's fairly new but she still might be in.

I'll ask him.

kidmills

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 19, 2014, 05:53:27 PM »
just get the 15 best people from each side and get it on,ya'll over think things some times

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 19, 2014, 07:06:13 PM »
just get the 15 best people from each side and get it on,ya'll over think things some times

That is what Tracy is trying to do.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

thankyoupeter

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 19, 2014, 07:41:15 PM »

I agree.  If there's more interest from the women's side in the future, maybe the issue can be revisited at that time.  If one or both captains have to recruit in order to fill women's spots, why have them when there are plenty of other people who would like to play without any wrangling.  This just seems like an unnecessary strain on the captains. 
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 10:20:28 PM by thankyoupeter »

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 19, 2014, 09:21:27 PM »

I agree.  If there's more interest from the women's side in the future, maybe the issue can be revisited at that time.  If one or both captains have to recruit in order to fill women's spots, why are they there when there are plenty of other people who would like to play without any wrangling.  This just seems like an unnecessary strain on the captains. 

Hear hear!!!!

Joe Hesting

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 20, 2014, 08:00:11 AM »
West Siders!

This is our Roster if things move forward as planned(and the East Side quits changing times on their BV round):

1. Dick Parker
2. Joe Hesting
3. Arturo Villareal
4. Beckett Carduff
5. Steve Thimmesch
6. Nick Altieri
7. Jon Thomas
8. Peter Bures
9. Kevin Zane
10. Frank Weaver
11. Lee Killian
12. Mark Albers
13. Bryan Guthrie
14. Justin Atwater-Taylor - Captains Pick
15. Bobby Villareal - Captains Pick
16. Tom Butler - Captains Pick

Alternates:
Mike Davis
Jeff Campbell
Nick Winklebauer

2 1/2 weeks away from a Repeat!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 02:42:24 PM by white mccoy »
Joe Hesting

Tracy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 20, 2014, 08:56:36 AM »
2014 KCFDC Team Challenge Schedule:

June 7th, Blue Valley, Kansas City, MO: Round One
- Round One format: alternate shot doubles
- 9:20-9:30am: roster check (who is there, available for match-ups)
- 9:35am:match-up draft by the Captains
- 10:00am: the first card of rolling start tees off hole 1.

June 8th, Lakeside Hills, Olathe, Kansas: Rounds Two and Three
- Round Two format: best shot doubles
- 9:20-9:30am: roster check (who is there, available for match-ups)
- 9:35am:match-up draft by the Captains
- 10:00am: the first card of rolling start tees off hole 1.

- Lunch
- Round Three format: Singles
- time tbd: roster check (who is there, available for match-ups)
- time tbd:match-up draft by the Captains
- time tbd: the first card of rolling start tees off hole 1.

Best shot doubles and Singles formats we're all familiar with.  Alternate shot doubels I will explain for those that didn't compete in this last year.  In a paring, Player A will always and only tee off on the odd numbered holes. Player B will always and only tee off on the even numbered holes.  This is to be followed on the card, not necessarily the physical hole number being played on the modified BV layout.