Author Topic: Roe Park  (Read 670 times)

BrianC

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Roe Park
« on: January 22, 2014, 08:10:53 AM »
Does anyone know anything about this?  The park is pretty small for a course unless they get into the wooded sections but they do show an image of a disc golfer in their flyer?

BenC

Re: Roe Park
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 09:05:31 AM »
This park is very small.  It doesn't include the woods.  We use to use this park when I was coaching my daughters soccer team.  It was a very busy park.  Soccer fields, baseball/softball fields and bicyclist riding the existing trails take up most of the park.
The meeting will be attended to see if there is an interest in putting in a golf course, and to see if it can be done to ensure the safety of everyone using the park.

sswebber

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 09:57:29 AM »
Roe Park extends round to Nall Park. On the south side of Nall Park is a wooded area that would be prime for a 9-hole course. Funnily enough I went in to explore it as I throw at the Nall field in the week. There is also a group of kids that play ultimate (and sometimes discgolf) on sundays here in the afternoon. If you need votes would be a good idea to meet up with these kids. I believe the ultimate is organised by a church or scouts...

sswebber

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 10:00:16 AM »
I'll probably head down for this. I live close to MRCC and the parks and would be interested to see what the process / barriers are to getting a course in..

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 11:33:18 AM »
Roe Park is listed as ~41 acres.  Might be more area than you think. 

andyportwood

• Pro Poster
  • Disc Golf Ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 12:25:02 PM »
Roe Park is listed as ~41 acres.  Might be more area than you think.

This is true, There is a whole nature trail area back behind the baseball fields, across the creek, where we used to play capture the flag back in high school. There would definitely be room for a short (but technical) 9 hole course there. Love this idea!!!
Throw farther, not harder...
PDGA#52809
2014 Tags: 20

BenC

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 03:36:55 PM »
Yes it is listed at that many acres.  Now take away the parking area, tennis courts, soccer fields, baseball/softball fields, playground, shelter, pool, bike trail, and preserve area that are also listed and how many acres are left?  This isn't 41 acres of free space.  The park is developed and very busy.  I'm not saying it wont happen.  It could be a nice nine hole family friendly pitch and putt, if they can find a place to squeeze in fairways that wont put other patrons safety in jeopardy.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:46:33 PM by BenC »

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 03:43:54 PM »
Yes it is listed at that many acres.  Now take away the parking area, tennis courts, soccer fields, baseball/softball fields, playground, shelter, pool, bike trail, and preserve area that are also listed and how many acres are left?  This isn't 41 acres of free space.

BOOMTOWN ERIC EASTWOOD!!!
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

Bitter79

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 04:31:20 PM »
Being an employee I can tell you that the City has a "Master Plan" that was passed a month or so ago that will involve building a disc golf course, along with a renovation plan for all/most parks and mainly the ones in the northern half of OP. I will also say that no one in the city has ever done it (build a disc golf course) to my knowledge but they will hopefully seek out a company or person who can do this through a bid process. I can also attest to the fact that "Master Plans" on our city are not always followed through 100%. If you live in the city and can attend this meeting I would highly advise it. I myself would be there but I have night classes at KU that evening. The picture is obviously from the only course in Overland Park which is dubbed "Little Blue Valley" near BVW high school. I really hope they follow through on their plans, it would be nice to have a few more courses near me besides PC, SMPark, and Bird Land but that's just me being selfish (and soon to be Heritage).

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 08:05:02 AM »
The picture is obviously from the only course in Overland Park which is dubbed "Little Blue Valley" near BVW high school. I really hope they follow through on their plans, it would be nice to have a few more courses near me besides PC, SMPark, and Bird Land but that's just me being selfish (and soon to be Heritage).

Little Blue Valley does not have Discatchers, so this picture came from somewhere outside OP, Maybe Olathe?.  But I agree with you on having more courses in middle to southern JoCo, even if they are only 9 holers.

Working at 179th/Metcalf and living in PV, I would love to have any kind of course on my way home..Good news, Heritage Park should be in sometime in the spring, hopefully.  And I still have my fingers crossed Harmon Park in PV will get put in sometime this year.

It sucks, I am leaving for Colorado Jan. 30th, so I cannot make this meeting.  So Sam and any others that can make it, please let us know what goes down, and if there is any good talk about courses being put in.
Joe Hesting

Bitter79

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 10:10:31 AM »

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 10:41:32 AM »
http://www.opkansas.org/things-to-see-and-do/parks/parks-master-plan/?utm_source=Parks+%26+Rec+-2014-03&utm_campaign=11.15.12&utm_medium=email

Let me know if that link works, but its to the Parks Master Plan on opkansas.org

Page 21:

"    Disc Golf. There is a need to add a 9 or 18-hole disc golf course in a
sub-community or community park, working in conjunction with local
disc golf advocates to establish the best location. "

Sounds like they plan to listen to you guys if you show up to the meeting and make your voices heard. Advocate!
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 07:59:55 AM »
Just Bumping this up to the top... 

Please, if you live in the Johnson County vicinity and would like to see more courses put in. Take time to go have your voice heard from 7-8:30 this Thursday @Matt Ross Community Center.  They want to put in a course, let's help them move forward.

Also on a side note, did hear back from Prairie Village Parks Dept., and 9-hole course at Harmon Park on 79th & Mission is still planned to begin construction this Spring/early Summer! 

Joe Hesting

sswebber

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 10:06:49 AM »
I'm planning on attending. I still need to call BenC about it.. We should do a walk through prior to the meeting to get our thoughts straight. Ben - will call tonight (have a reminder on my phone now)

I will use Little Blue Valley as an example. I like the use of rocks as tee markers and woodchip for teepads. I think this natural look would fit in well amongst the nature trails and such they have around these parks.

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 10:36:52 AM »
What's this about Heritage Park?  This is the first I have heard of it.
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705