Author Topic: Roe Park  (Read 817 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Roe Park
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 03:02:00 PM »
Heritage park was part of the 2015 Master Plan that I know I was discussing with JoCo P&R back in 2000-2001.  A small footprint for a nice course by the ball fields was envisioned at that point.  I believe that Scott Reek has been in communication with them about it over the last year or so, as I think that he has eluded to that in some comments.

There are quite a few plans in place to see continued expansion of disc golf courses all over.  What we really need is more support from the community to join the KCFDC and work in conjunction to ensure that we have support to keep up with the demand to meet the levels that we are accustomed to.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 03:33:00 PM »
What's this about Heritage Park?  This is the first I have heard of it.

"Heritage Park is a 1,238-acre park is located at 159th and Pflumm Road. Purchased in 1979 through voter-approved bonds, the park was dedicated on July 4, 1981. Recreational facilities include 10 picnic shelters (two large capacity), a 40 acre lake, marina, a 30 acre dog off-leash area, concessions, shelters and picnic areas, play areas, athletic fields for softball, football, soccer, and the 18-hole championship Heritage Park Golf Course and driving range. Located adjacent to Heritage Park is our excellent full-care boarding, horse training and private training facility, White Fox Manor Stables."

How could you miss it?   Personally, my daughter plays soccer there. 

TPalmer

• Pro Poster
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 04:59:56 PM »
Um, Mr. Eastwood.  Of course I know where Heritage Park is.....just haven't heard of any disc golf plans for the park. 

Anyone know where Olathe is?
Tom Palmer
PDGA #13705

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 09:13:43 PM »
Um, Mr. Eastwood.  Of course I know where Heritage Park is.....just haven't heard of any disc golf plans for the park. 

Anyone know where Olathe is?

Sorry TPalmer, I'm prone to being a smart ass at times.  And it's Dr. Eastwood. 

hberciunas

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 06:06:46 AM »
Heritage Park is a done deal. Scott Reek has been working on it and should be ready for play in Spring?
PDGA #53842
KCFDC #1406
2012 KCFDC tag: 217
2013:            DD:           Beer League:
2014: 48

DDKC

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 07:39:06 AM »
Heritage Park has been getting cut as of last year, the budget and funds have been approved and just waiting on spring to get the forestry mowers in there to help with some removal.  I am hoping for an April or May opening but it depends on the parks department.
Scott Reek
Dynamic Discs Kansas City

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 08:15:07 AM »
Went and walked Roe Park to see how much land was there, and if the area in the center of the park is useable for a disc golf course, it would be great for a 9-12 hole disc golf (down under style) course.  I found 9 great holes out there that wouldn't even require too much tree removal to get it started.  Not sure what is all available for use though, I'll be very interested to know what goes down at the meeting Thursday.

Map of area
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zle7I7oYd998.kNcK6X6MJ2ZM

I doubt area south of the river is owned by OP Parks, but if it was, there is enough room for 9 holes on each side of the river.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:17:32 AM by white mccoy »
Joe Hesting