Author Topic: Tournaments outside of KC/MO area.  (Read 152 times)

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Tournaments outside of KC/MO area.
« on: October 21, 2014, 04:33:04 PM »
Wow.  I got a wake up call this weekend playing a tournament outside of our area.

My in-laws are originally from Sioux City, IA and moved to Yankton, SD a few years ago.  This past weekend, Every Day Disc Golf out of St. Paul, MN was putting on two C-Tiers in Sioux Falls, SD so I thought it would be a good experience going somewhere else for some tournament action and pick up two tournaments.

Cost was $30 + $5 handling fee for Rec. per tournament.
There wasn't enough Rec players so I moved up to Intermediate.
No players pack.
No product available until after the tournament was over.
Central sign up area for those that didn't pre-register was a guy sitting in his car.  No table, no tent, no shelter.

Figuring up payouts afterwards, payouts were less than 80% of entry fees.  PDGA mandated C-Tiers minimum payouts (players' packs, actual payouts, etc. combined) are to be 85% or more.  I guess it all depends on what you consider 'costs'.  Costs are supposed to be PDGA fees and green fees (i.e. club or city park fees) only when computing this 85%.

He did have 4 CTP's, 2 discs and 2 Trotter boxes (cardboard boxes specifically made to store discs.  they retail for over $15).

The guy was decent enough, but basically it ran as a very expensive 2-round league.  54 players.  I've played in leagues in KC that had more than 54 players.

I didn't bother with playing the 2nd day tournament and instead picked up my 16th state to play in - Minnesota.  I'm now up to 106 courses played.

I have a couple of points I'm making.

First: Unmet expectations is when people get mad or sad.  The tournament was not what I was expecting.  It kind of pissed me off which made up my mind to not play the second C-tier the next day.  I guess I should have had lower expectations.

Second: The reason why I have higher expectations is because of what we exeperience here in our KC/MO area.  DD, KCFDC, DGW, LSDiscs, really do put on fantastic tournaments.  Generally they are run very well with attentive TD's, great players packs and payouts both.

I think if this individual gave something of a players pack, it would draw more 875 and below players (whether they are rated or not) which would inturn create more product turn for him plus incrementally create more revenue to have more payout for those that do well.

In hindsight, the tournament was pretty decent.  The only reason why I didn't cash because my putts for 1st round were atrocious, even for me. 

If they don't say Players' Pack in the advertisement - don't expect one.  (Which for me will bring the ceiling down on how much I'm willing to spend for the tournament).

I guess it just depends on how you want tournaments to be run.  It would seem as though there are two options.  Everyone gets something with a (perceived) less payment for those at the top.  Or, only those at the top get a (perceived large) payout if you compete well. 

Personally, I think you can have the first option which will create the means to have the second option.

Having sponsors of any type will help as well, which these tournaments had none. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:53:02 PM by robm »
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

The Nailer™

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Torque
Re: Tournaments outside of KC/MO area.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 06:30:41 PM »
KC does it right.  That's why I live here and support the local community.  Great group of people, leaders and just all around fun.  When it comes to DG, hands down, any event I attend, even if it's my own putting clinic, is awesome.  It's planned out well and ran well.  Those putting on events adapt whe the situation calls for them to do so.   
"I sure hope The Nailer™ doesn't find it..."

"Put lots of torque on the Anal-hyzer"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYm-LYrJQA

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Tournaments outside of KC/MO area.
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 11:27:08 AM »
We are very spoiled in the area.  We have also helped to facilitate others to enjoy that type of environment and watch as they "mirror" them accordingly and grow.

We are very spoiled in the area as a whole, and this expands to the Iowa areas as well.  Des Moines, CR, Quad Cities regionally all put on good events as well.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"