Author Topic: 2015 Ice Bowl  (Read 587 times)

Zier

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Ice Bowl
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 12:28:04 PM »
I'm going to say this as somebody who has worked in social services for quite some time: Food is not as much the issue as toiletries. If we wanted to do a drive on top of the standard Ice Bowl event we should focus on things that you can't buy with food assistance. Toilet paper, tooth brushes, tooth paste, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, wash rags, feminine hygiene products, razors, laundry detergent, dryer sheets, coffee filters (you can buy coffee, just not filters), deoderant, and other things of that nature.

I'm not recommending we change anything, just letting you know what frustrations I've seen when helping individuals access food pantries. These are the extras that people ask for and only occasionally receive. I'm sure there are others that I haven't mentioned.

ekolk

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 04:35:42 PM »
Good point Nate. It could be something to consider for this year.

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 09:36:07 PM »
I tend to come up with ideas and then later retract them.  I'm not for certain we should have a dry goods donation, it's just an idea.
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Today at 09:21:54 AM »
it is extra work on the staff/volunteers to count food #age and then get it to the pantry, bring it in, bring it out, move it again.

Cash works better.  It is quite simply that facet of it that helps this work for us.  Let's achieve over $10k this year!  That is what we should strive for, and hopefully over 600 people playing in this years "version" of the Ice Bowl!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Today at 09:38:12 AM »
I was asked by Mr. Glover how the event can work still if we were to hold these satellite events.  I think that he may be raising a few questions some of you may have as well, so I thought that I would share my thoughts on how this can be acceptable:

final 9 at rosie still.  Since you are buying Mulligans at your course you can theoretically shoot an 18 at any course.  Your score will be your score for the final 9, you will blend in accordingly.

It is quite simple.  You play at a course, you get a score.  You want to play the final 9, you have your score.

You are making it more difficult by trying to pretend that our Ice Bowl is an actual tournament.

When we decided years back to allow a round 1 score from down under count towards the top score, it is clear this isn't about competition at the purest level.

When we decided to allow mulligans to be bought and used REPEATEDLY...also indicate this isn't about FIERCE competitive play.

Basically my thought was that we have a great time all getting together and enjoying a Sunday at Rosedale.  By having the chance to make it work for others to join in made sense, and should enable us to have actually more fun!

What are the thoughts that some of you are thinking about in terms of this type of additional opportunities to play and enjoy the possible warm days in advance of the Ice Bowl......one of these days could be the day that everyone goes, MAN I gotta PLAY!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Today at 09:58:02 AM »
Why not take the top 5 or 10 from every event and put them in a competitive 9 hole match starting with 0 score. So you place in the top whatever at each event you then get to play for the trophy. So you take the top 45 people and then you put them say on the front 9 and have them battle it out. Any ties would go to a playoff. Or something like that.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Today at 10:01:39 AM »
I like that, but I think that would require more work on the staff, instead of just having a score to enter in.  You helping me organize the scores, it sounds FANTASTIC then!
 ;D
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #22 on: Today at 10:05:43 AM »
replace the trophy with a plaque and the winner is the benefactor with the most $. I will prob play Smithville black beaver 36 and socialize at the final 9 if parking is available at rosie
espouse elucidation

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:58:41 AM »
I like that, but I think that would require more work on the staff, instead of just having a score to enter in.  You helping me organize the scores, it sounds FANTASTIC then!
 ;D

As long as scores are accounted for at each event I don't think it will be that difficult. I'm always willing to help out where needed. Just don't want to commit to running any of the events. I do want to set up mini golf again at Rosedale if you still want it there.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Today at 12:33:24 PM »
Yep, we need to plan a meeting soon for everyone on the "I will help at my local course, and I will help on ICE BOWL SUNDAY".

Let us all get through the Turkey day this week, as it is short for many, long for others, and just too much thinking for many to worry about the Ice Bowl right now.  We are though making great traction on getting this motor running the right direction!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"