Author Topic: Ice Bowl  (Read 1305 times)

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Bowl
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 09:01:07 PM »
We don't need to pay for a second potties station. We just need to pay for a second non-scheduled pumping of the station that was present with adding a 12- pack of extra toilet paper.
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 09:32:53 PM »
bbjon raises an interesting question. Donations of beer. I am sure there is legalese there that I hope someone recognized. I like the donation. I think maybe that the beer and alcoholic beverages shouldn't be on an honor donation system. I would hope it would be an easy question to ask of our brewery friends that donated. Perhaps we go college party style and sell an armband, then tips as you will. Still I would like to see the event and the organizers bases covered in any situation.

The Oatmeal Stout was outstanding!

This is why we went with the donation and not a specific $ amount for the privilege for beers.  The beer was free, donations were strongly encouraged.  Remember, Kansas has yet to ratify the 21st amendment - the amendment to repeal Prohibition.  Kansas liquor laws are some of the strongest in the country and serving homebrew outside of the home is not exactly Kosher.

Speaking of which - thanks for the stout complement.  It is my interpretation of Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat.  About 10-20% more hops, 10-20% less lactose (milk sugar).  A tad less sweet, a tad more hops, both of which accentuates the dark malt and gives the perception of coffee - which no coffee was put in it.

Please - patronize Cinder Block Brewery.  Great little brewery in Northtown. Take Oak across the river, turn right on 18th, 1 block on left.  Great people, even greater beer.

zumagun

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 11:21:26 PM »
If there was no beer, how many fewer people would have registered?  We can't just look at the donation cup to tell us how much the donated beer was worth.  Example:
Hey, want to register for ice bowl?
Nah, I'm doing something else.
But Cinder Block is donating beer!
You should have said so earlier, count me in!

Was the problem with the PA system location or tone?  I remember thinking it seemed like the bass was turned up too high for just voice, which made every announcement sound muddled.  If the PA system had equalizer adjustments, perhaps turning the bass down might have helped?

Bathrooms not a big deal for guys.  Ladies need to check out the Magic Cone Female Urination Device.
It's a disposable funnel shaped, waterproof cardboard device which allows women to urinate in a standing position without any hassle. 

Not a bad idea for TDs to include in player's packs for women's divisions this year.  It should even be possible to get a batch with custom logo or tournament artwork printed on the side.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:46:13 PM by zumagun »

Fish

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 12:02:10 PM »
I like the idea of having bigger score boards to work with, or a cheap projector to display it up on a large surface.  Seemed to me that there was a lot of congestion under the pavilion due to players simply trying to figure out what hole they were starting on. 

Another thing I would love to see regarding the chili cookoff....   A short description of the chili visible to those choosing from several dozen crock pots that all look the same.  I heard some people comment that they liked their chili pretty plain, or really mild, and hated the potluck format because they never knew what was in it and often got one too spicy.  How about a short description such as "Beef chili, hot spicy, red peppers, jalapeno" or something equivalent?
Nate Fishback

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 02:33:31 PM »
How many people were present Sunday at Rosedale?

showmeDoug

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 08:23:48 PM »
zumagun is thinking "outside of the box." Problem solved!
I like BIG putts.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 05:41:32 PM »
I did my best trying to control the power and how things were hooked up but too many others decided to mess with stuff so I gave up after several attempts at straightening things out. We need to have either a bigger generator or 2 different ones as Jack said and also deligate someone to hook up the crock pots in reasonable fashion. Keep the area cordoned off where the power hooks up to limit access. I know  was so busy trying to run the generator because it kept popping the breaker I never get an opportunity to get my CTP's in and was my turn right as it was stopped. I could have asked someone to take my generator spot to get them in. We can have CTP shots on both days. I appreciate everyone's patience as we did have power issues. I know of only one crock pot that never heated up so I think we did pretty good through all the confusion. Thanks to all who brought extension cords and power strips.
Steven Disc Glover

kcfrisbee

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 09:40:53 AM »
The crock pots were an uphill battle.  Who is the man that came back with the power checker?  He really saved the day.  Next year we need a volunteer that knows about power dedicated only to keeping the crock pots hot.

BenC

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 09:51:19 AM »
I think you are talking about Rick Gurski, Kristie.

kcfrisbee

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 10:02:45 AM »
Yes!  Rick is my hero.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 05:42:33 PM »
Yes it was Rick Gurski. How did he know to bring that??
Steven Disc Glover

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 08:15:34 PM »
Yes it was Rick Gurski. How did he know to bring that??

I think he's an electrician. I suspect he usually has one in his car.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

zumagun

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2014, 04:36:36 PM »
I like the idea of having bigger score boards to work with, or a cheap projector to display it up on a large surface.  Seemed to me that there was a lot of congestion under the pavilion due to players simply trying to figure out what hole they were starting on.
The future is here....  Most people attending the tournament have a smart phone; even Tibetan monks have smart phones.  The idea that we all have to come within visual range of a physical marker board (Score Point) to figure out what hole we must report to is Neanderthal.  The next evolution of our local club should be to make important information, like this, more easily available through mass communication like email and smart phone apps; this way, nobody would have to jockey for position in a crowded pavilion to see instructions, we would just gather around the nearest smart phone and could report to our holes with more efficiency and confidence.

The amount of time needed to update the Score Point sliding paper cards into slots is enormous.   In the 21'st Century, there are better ways to handle the spread of information.  For starters, most of us are familiar with how to use bulletin board systems like this  for gathering information about leagues and tournaments.  The time spent for the mundane task of volunteers sliding physical paper cards into slots on a physical marker board  could be better spent updating records online  for the benefit of all tournament participants.

Our sport is growing exponentially and the technology that serves as its backbone should grow accordingly.  There is no excuse for an lack of information in the Information Age.  Let's stop relying on Score Points so much and grow our sport through apps and BBS system information spreading.  What do you think?

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 05:19:02 PM by zumagun »

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2014, 07:37:59 PM »
Yes!  Rick is my hero.

He's also a black belt!

Cool guy!

It's like being friends with Nick Nolte...
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

DiscDisc Byrd

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 01:45:35 PM »
Rick's a cool dude that's for sure.  Didn't know he was a blackbelt, I'm gonna have to start letting him win from time to time, I don't want him beating me up! Lol. Hey rick we gonna play in the snow this week, lets make it challenging play with just white discs?
Steve keithley