Author Topic: 2014 Kan-U-Wyco PDGA B Tier - March 8th & 9th  (Read 2899 times)

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
Re: 2014 Kan-U-Wyco PDGA B Tier - March 8th & 9th
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2014, 09:38:34 AM »
not me, I did get #2 though
espouse elucidation

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2014, 09:52:56 AM »
Both (10 & 13) of which were a too tight in my opinion.  I'll be the first to admit that I played both holes poorly this past weekend, but those holes are monsters already and the tightness of the OB made it a bit ridiculous in my opinion.  I'm still fairly new to KC disc golf and young and my opinion doesn't carry much weight, but I have a feeling the pros will even think that they are too tight come the KCWO if laid out the same way. 
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

thankyoupeter

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2014, 10:20:59 AM »
I would consider Hole 4 to be a par 4 as well.  While a 2 is possible, it's pretty rare and requires a great tee shot and putt.  If get a 2, that's an eagle in my book.  Does anyone know if someone got it in 2 this weekend?  If not, it makes sense it should be a par 4, albeit an easier one. 

I thought the OBs on 10 and 13 were great and apparently created a lot of scoring differential, which is a good thing.  I actually thought hole 10 didn't play too hard for a right-hander with the strong tail-wind pushing everything back in bounds.  I had drop in 4s on 10 both rounds and I don't have a big arm by any means.

Hole thirteen is a great example of how OB can get into people's heads.  If you can throw at least 350', a 4 isn't too difficult if you just execute your shots. Just throw down the middle of the fairway, lay up past the tree near the short pin, then throw a 150'-175' shot onto the green for a 4, or a 5 at worst if you miss your putt.  Obviously the big headwind made things more difficult, but the OB wasn't really that tight, unless you were trying to get onto the narrow portion of the fairway on your drive and get onto the green in two.  I know the green was actually quite a bit larger this year as well, making upshots easier than previous years. 

Overall, I really enjoyed the course and wanted to thank DD, Tracy, and everyone else who helped set up the OB an/or put this event on. 

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2014, 11:10:03 AM »
Ridiculous may have been a strong word for me to use.  I guess what I was getting at was that these are BIG holes with some pretty tight OB given the circumstances.  10 and 13 are both tough 3's for most people, even the big arms.  They both require a great tee shot and a great upshot.  I'm ok with the OB and by all means keep it all there.  I just thought it could be widened some. 

My next thought was, why not add some OB on to some of the easier holes on the course rather than tightening up the already difficult holes?  Put an island green on 5 and 8 instead of an island green on 13?  Just some food for thought.
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2014, 11:42:17 AM »
#13 looked fun in that set up to me. I'm all about OB lines! I hope it still stays the same bastard that it is for future tournaments.

mjohn1981

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2014, 02:11:25 PM »
I just wanted to send out a "Thank you" to all those who ran the tournament yesterday. It was my very first tournament (Played Recreational) and I really appreciate everyone who helped me with both rules and advice. I'm looking into joining league. Also, congratulations to all the winners.
PDGA # 64386
KCFDC # 1700
KCFDC 2014 Bag Tag # 281
DD KC Bag Tag # 196

asjzn6

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2014, 02:22:29 PM »
Yes the tournament was well ran, I very much enjoyed myself. Thought on OB. I enjoyed all the OB. But on 13 i would say the risk of going for the green in 2 was not there. I things were widened up a bit then the risk/reward would have been better balanced. I do like the idea of some islands on shorter holes. #8 would be a great island especially with a  fence to keep people from throwing low and skipping up. I loved the OB on #9. That was probably might favorite hole of the weekend. It was tight but very rewarding if you took the risk.
Adam Johnson

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2014, 02:31:24 PM »
I love the OB, for the record. I threw out several times on Saturday but I wouldn't loosen it up at all.

I trust you'll figure out the best setup, Tracy.