Author Topic: Buffalo Ridge Park  (Read 245 times)

Bitter79

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Buffalo Ridge Park
« on: February 17, 2014, 08:30:13 PM »
So I'm back from my yearly visit to my parents in Phoenix and played Buffalo Ridge Park. (if you remember last time I played Fountain Hills). What a beautiful backdrop to a disc golf course. I met some locals, most who qualify for the masters division (maybe Grand Masters but i didn't ask), and a younger man who had an arm like a cannon. I was instantly noticed and asked to join their group when the Rosedale Am t-shirt i was sporting was spotted (and the KU hat, but some of you might geer to that). I am awful with names but a couple of the vets said they had come out to play the Wide Open a few times, one was an ex KU pat who was as big as a bear, tossed a disc a mile, and had the accuracy to boot. The course in my opinion was not hard but the main threat was elevation changes which on one hole made you feel like a god, and the next like a weenie. I took most of my pars, one bird and 6 Bogeys to finish at +5 which i though was respectable. It was a wonderful course over all, although I appreciate the technical difficulty of FH, I will say that Buffalo made great use of the terrain and landscape and you could say that there was an added benefit of actual hiking involved. I will post a few pic's when I can, but would highly recommend this course to anyone heading out that way.

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Buffalo Ridge Park
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 10:58:59 PM »
Betting that big as a bear player was Pro Grand Master Lance Plummer...my KU frat bro and fellow SMSouth graduate from the early/mid 80s.  You should see him hit a softball......... :o
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 11:26:24 AM »
I played that course the first time I went out there to play the Memorial.  Fun course, and it was a block and a half from where I was staying.   8)  Fun track, and yep, the elevation changes were more than you would realize, until you're standing right there.  Deception is a B&tch!  ;D
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

Bitter79

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 11:41:29 AM »
Otter you are correct, He did say he was an SM South grad, and watching him overthrow a 440ft shot w/50ft uphill elevation was pretty impressive. They were a great bunch of guys to meet up with and i was lucky to join them.

AdamC

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 01:01:52 PM »
Buffalo Ridge is a great course. 

They recently added another 9 holes within the last year or two.  Did you play all 27 holes or just 18?

I always recommend Buffalo since it seems like the most "Arizona-esque" of all the local courses with it's abundance of cactus, palo verdes, and overall desert setting.   Also really hot.  I think many of the locals only play there in the fall/winter due to the heat. 

Shame about the old rickety single-chain baskets but it makes up for it with great elevation change throughout the course. 

carlitocal

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 01:34:02 PM »
Kansas native, former KC resident, currently living in Phoenix for last 3.5 years.  Came here to say that it was probably Lance, but someone beat me to it :)  Lance also runs the weekly Wednesday singles league at Conocido park not too far from Buffalo Ridge, and he's nearly always rocking the KU hat.

Buffalo Ridge is definitely THE picturesque Arizona desert course (Phoenix).  There are a few more, but none with elevation and hiking like Buffalo.  The new 9 holes make it a very fun course to spend half your day at.  They are slowly replacing the god awful old baskets with brand new ones.  It's a slow process but overall the course is kept up really nice by all the locals.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 01:35:57 PM by carlitocal »

Bitter79

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »
yeah some were replaced already, I only played 18... with the young family with me I'm just happy to get out alone for 2 hours!