Author Topic: 32nd Annual Kansas City Wide Open - June 20-22, 2014  (Read 5522 times)

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 32nd Annual Kansas City Wide Open - June 20-22, 2014
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2014, 03:57:03 PM »
SHAMELESS PLUG...

Want to know where those OB lines actually are at Wyco?
Come out to PDGA League Wednesday 6/18.  Sign up at 5:45, tee off as soon as cards are ready.

$5 + $1 non-club members + $1 optional ace fund (currently at $188, pays out 50%).  Our last paid ace was at Wyco.

Will we be playing the lines and everything for league?

If it's there, we are playing it.  It should all be there.  NT tournaments are to have the courses 'set' 48 hours in advance to when the course is used.

I'm more than just a little excited to play it with the OB.  Admittedly, on average, I play worse than the field, but I like the challenge.
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2014, 04:11:39 PM »
SHAMELESS PLUG...

Want to know where those OB lines actually are at Wyco?
Come out to PDGA League Wednesday 6/18.  Sign up at 5:45, tee off as soon as cards are ready.

$5 + $1 non-club members + $1 optional ace fund (currently at $188, pays out 50%).  Our last paid ace was at Wyco.

Will we be playing the lines and everything for league?

If it's there, we are playing it.  It should all be there.  NT tournaments are to have the courses 'set' 48 hours in advance to when the course is used.

I'm more than just a little excited to play it with the OB.  Admittedly, on average, I play worse than the field, but I like the challenge.

Well the lines are painted right now but I don't know that the ropes will be up by then (Tracy?).

It's just a bit hard to see the paint far down the fairways. Would be tough for anyone that hasn't played it already.

Tracy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2014, 04:37:26 PM »
Well the lines are painted right now but I don't know that the ropes will be up by then (Tracy?).

It's just a bit hard to see the paint far down the fairways. Would be tough for anyone that hasn't played it already.

Yes, all OB is down and all basket are in place. So Wyco is "set" as far as NT requirements go.  P&R has thrown a monkey wrench in my plans, telling us mowing will be complete tomorrow the 17th.  I am hesitant to put up any rope 'til tomorrow evening, in fear they'll just brush hog it all down. (though I think they are only going to be mowing 1 and 2). The rest of the course was mowed end of last week, but a shaggy mow.  I'm not sure if they plan on doing a another pass today and tomorrow. If they don't, it's going to be fairly deep out there by this weekend folks.

Anyway, I think I have a pretty good system in place for putting the ropes up quickly.  It could be all in place tomorrow evening given some volunteers show up to help.

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2014, 05:29:43 PM »
When Kevin Zane and I were leaving, a park staff asked about the tournament.  He said they would be mowing all week trying to get caught up.  One of their main mowing tractors went down which put them behind especially at Rosie I'm sure. 

gochiefs25

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2014, 10:54:28 PM »
Can anyone clarify the schedule for Pool C Advanced men? I am confused to where we are playing on Saturday, the KC Wide Open website says Blue Valley, but the caddy book says Wyco for Saturday and Sunday. Also, what is this business about groups? Sorry if this info is in plain sight somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it myself. Thanks!

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2014, 11:10:42 PM »
Can anyone clarify the schedule for Pool C Advanced men? I am confused to where we are playing on Saturday, the KC Wide Open website says Blue Valley, but the caddy book says Wyco for Saturday and Sunday. Also, what is this business about groups? Sorry if this info is in plain sight somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it myself. Thanks!

Yes. The website is correct. The caddy book has some oversight, and there will be an amendment added to clear up any confusion.

Group 1 and 2 are on Tee Times at Blue Valley. Group 1 starts their rolling start at 8:00 am. Group 2 (C POOL) is off directly after the A Pool. You will need to check on line at kcwideopen.com or pdga.com to see what time you are scheduled to tee off. Hopefully that helps clear it up.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

gochiefs25

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2014, 11:21:42 PM »
Yep. Like a crystal. My only other question is how the tee times will be arranged. Will the top card after Friday's round have the early or late tee time for Saturday's round? And thanks for the earlier info.

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2014, 11:25:25 PM »
Top cards always have the later tee times.

gochiefs25

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2014, 11:32:52 PM »
Thanks. Sorry for the dumb question, it's been a while since I've played a tourney round with tee times.

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2014, 02:25:05 PM »
Can I get some Wyco clarrification on these:

7: Far beyond OB is the same line as 9 left side OB?

9: There is OB beyond (inbetween basket and road) making it tighter than the road itself?

12: Does the OB line for left side of 13 come into play?

17: Does the OB line for right side of 9 come into play for right side of 17?

Thanks.

Tracy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2014, 03:53:12 PM »

7: Far beyond OB is the same line as 9 left side OB? Yes

9: There is OB beyond (inbetween basket and road) making it tighter than the road itself? It will be as in the caddy book; at the road. I'll be correcting it today.

12: Does the OB line for left side of 13 come into play? Yes

17: Does the OB line for right side of 9 come into play for right side of 17? Yes

Thanks.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2014, 03:55:04 PM »

7: Far beyond OB is the same line as 9 left side OB?

That should be correct.  The OB line doesn't change, and once a line is OB it is OB for the entire field.

9: There is OB beyond (inbetween basket and road) making it tighter than the road itself?

I believe that this was answered with this posting by the wonderful T-Dub
I have a question about #9 at Wyco.  Caddy book shows the OB on left and right goes all the way to the road (straight ahead).  I just played there and it's painted OB short of the road.  It cuts in front of the the pin that is  straight ahead.  So is the caddy book wrong?  I get the OB on the left and right.  I don't understand it straight ahead when you have the road there.     

The caddy book shows the way I described to Dick several weeks ago how I would lay it out.  However, I forgot what I told him and laid it out in the slightly less forgiving formation as is painted. Dick has told me to fix it to match the caddy book.  It shall be done.

12: Does the OB line for left side of 13 come into play?

Yes once an OB line it OB the entire area for each existing and touching point.  Same as the early statement.  OB line's aren't OB for just one hole, they are for the entire course and other fairways come into play because of this, then they are OB.

17: Does the OB line for right side of 9 come into play for right side of 17?

Thanks.

Same answer on many of the questions.  Any OB line is OB for the course in this configuration.  Having the line be OB one part of the course and not the other is counter intuitive and will cause issues with everyone playing.  The goal on "defined OB" is to strengthen the toughness of the course and require better placement by the advance level playing field.  Thus "requiring" or FORCING a better shot selection and also increasing the risk/reward component. 

I hope that this helps.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2014, 03:56:33 PM »

7: Far beyond OB is the same line as 9 left side OB? Yes

9: There is OB beyond (inbetween basket and road) making it tighter than the road itself? It will be as in the caddy book; at the road. I'll be correcting it today.

12: Does the OB line for left side of 13 come into play? Yes

17: Does the OB line for right side of 9 come into play for right side of 17? Yes

Thanks.

One day I will learn to be shorter in my responses.....but not today! ;D
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2014, 04:25:57 PM »
This is going to be SO cool!

Peter Bures

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2014, 09:11:41 PM »
I assume it's the same case with the OB lines at Swope? Like one hole's line is also an OB line for another hole?

Example-

Swope Gold #9 (Normal #6) plays up towards the clubhouse, and the OB line for #10 (Normal #7)  is on the left side. I assume that line plays OB for #9 as well?

There are more examples.