Author Topic: 2014 KCFDC PDGA League suggestion thread  (Read 1244 times)

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
2014 KCFDC PDGA League suggestion thread
« on: March 03, 2014, 04:15:28 PM »
Any interest in running a PDGA Sanctioned league at one of the upcoming leagues?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:13:11 AM by robm »
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

jteater

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 KCFDC PDGA League
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 07:58:13 PM »
Any interest in running a PDGA Sanctioned league at one of the upcoming leagues?

Yes, I think KCFDC member #1507 should do that.  :)

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 08:12:33 PM »

Yes, I think KCFDC member #1507 should do that.  :)
sounds great.

jteater

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 08:59:31 AM »
I think we need a PDGA league on sunday afternoon at Wyco. Then you could just not have the league on the sundays when there is a local tournament. That would give you some weeks of not having to run league also.

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 09:19:26 AM »
sundays are tournament days, pdga nite on Mondays or Thursdays would be cool. hell FTL could prob get the buck-a-player fee. how much work is it to run a league pdga style, jack?
espouse elucidation

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 09:36:16 AM »
I've looked into the amount of work it takes, and the cost, and am willing to cover it.  If I cover the registration fee, I want to cover the league reporting.

I think FTL would be a perfect PDGA league, but I can only commit to every other week - at best (and maybe not even that) - starting the second week of April when I go back to having Friday's off.  I think we could have more than one PDGA league, FTL being one of them, but that would have to be someone else.

I would be interested in running a PDGA league myself on either Monday or Wednesday.  It is hard to keep track of various threads, but it seems like there was some interest in moving Cliff Drive to Friday.  If so, we could move WyCo to Monday.  I would run WyCo on Mondays (or Wednesday) as  PDGA league.  If Monday, our first day would have to be April 7 - I could not start earlier.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 09:44:54 AM by robm »

KCWaldo

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 10:06:44 AM »
I would be very interested in a PDGA league on the Kansas side. 

Mondays are Olathe league nights, but a Wednesday night Kansas traveling league would be cool. Wyco, SMP,Lakeside, PC, Heritage, Little Kansas BV, Perry once or twice.
Duane Waldman

PDGA# 59362
KCFDC# 1598

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 02:20:58 PM »
So the thread title is KCFDC PDGA league, but FTL is not a KCFDC league. Just FYI. What about the league with the most attendance? WW? or Rosedale? I don't know if Greg or Scott would be interested, but a thought. We have a league for every week night, so I am not so sure adding another would attendance or participation all around.

Rob, Thanks for volunteering. What would work best for you?

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 02:39:04 PM »

I think FTL would be a perfect PDGA league, but I can only commit to every other week - at best (and maybe not even that) - starting the second week of April when I go back to having Friday's off.  I think we could have more than one PDGA league, FTL being one of them, but that would have to be someone else.

I don't believe you should have a PDGA league that only privileged people who enjoy Friday's off can play.  Some of us want to play too, but don't have the 4-day work week, or unemployment.

I would be very interested in a PDGA league on the Kansas side. 

Mondays are Olathe league nights, but a Wednesday night Kansas traveling league would be cool. Wyco, SMP,Lakeside, PC, Heritage, Little Kansas BV, Perry once or twice.

I like this idea.  Rob, you should run a Wednesday Kansas Traveling KCFDC PDGA League. I'd even venture to Lawrence, Perry, Baldwin, on Wednesday nights!!!

I also think it would be awesome to take a summer off from every Wednesday Rosedale League.  The course needs a break.   Just play it once a month or so on Wednesday Night Traveling league.

Just an opinion.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 02:49:04 PM by white mccoy »
Joe Hesting

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 03:01:08 PM »
I don't believe you should have a PDGA league that only privileged people who enjoy Friday's off can play.  Some of us want to play too, but don't have the 4-day work week, or unemployment.

Just an opinion.

Hey Joe - I'm not trying to bust you or anything, but this doesn't really work well.

"I can't play on Sunday tournaments because it is the Sabbath" - Christians

"I can't play on Saturday tournaments because it is the Sabbath" - Jews and Seventh Day Adventists

"I can't play on weekend tournaments because I'm a bar server and don't go to bed until 4AM."

"I can't play out of town because I had a DUI and can't drive."

"I can't play in Tim Selinske Masters in Tulsa, OK in April because I'm 27"

"I can't play in PDGA Junior World Championships because I'm 27"

If the only reason FTL doesn't have a PDGA league is because some can't play, the logic is flawed.

Again - not trying to start a piss storm, just pointing some issues out.  I'm not the one that would run the FTL PDGA league though...

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 03:08:59 PM »
I don't mind having a traveling league in the evening.  I actually really lilke the idea.  I'm concerned about attendance though.  I think it would have to be on a set night - like every Monday or every Wednesday (actually those are the only two I'm available.)

If I ran it, I would post the 10 week schedule ahead of time.  All 10 weeks.

Payouts would be the normal KCFDC league structure, including KC Kash if the board would let me.

It would be run on two different spreadsheets.  The KCFDC league and the PDGA league.  Theoretically, a person could play 'Open' in the KCFDC league but 'MA1 - Advanced' in the PDGA league.  This is actually kosher with the PDGA.  For leagues, Ams can collect cash and not have their Am status in jeopardy.

For the PDGA side, we would run just 'Open' and 'MA1'.  This helps everyone with PDGA points as these two categories have the highest point multiplier.  If this is confusing, let me know and I'll explain it in more detail.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 03:14:14 PM »
Bravo.  I like the idea of rotating leagues.  I like the notion of everyone playing a different location, I thought that would be a great plan for the league.

THe only thing to remember is that there is a $1/fee, so if you go to Olathe on Monday nights for example there would be an additional $1/fee per player for the PDGA league.

The notion of 10 weeks, 10 different location is a fun one.  Excellent, don't limit to KS courses only though, use all KCFDC courses would/should/could be the requirement.

Using courses not KCFDC could create some other issues that no one should have to worry about in running this type of format.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 03:19:19 PM »
More thoughts -

For the PDGA league to actually have a decent rating (which the only reason for having a PDGA league is for rating and points) is that at least 3 (?) Propogators must play.

http://www.pdga.com/leagues

Good information here (scroll down to Leagues):

http://www.pdga.com/faq/136

Here are a couple FAQ's that I think are particularly helpful

Do players get PDGA ratings from league rounds? Yes. Current PDGA members will earn ratings and even non-members will earn them even though they won't be able to see their official ratings until they join or renew. Players will see preview (unofficial) ratings each week when the TD posts the scores online just like regular tournaments.

If some weeks don't display preview ratings, it's likely not enough players entered that week with established ratings (propagators) over 799. At least 5 propagators are required to produce preview ratings. The good news is that once the league report is submitted to the PDGA, players will still receive official ratings for any of the weeks they couldn't see preview ratings.

Do players earn PDGA points?
Yes. Players will earn PDGA points based on how many players they tied or beat in their division during each week of play.  League points are 1/2 the amount of points of a C-Tier tournament

You don't have to be a PDGA member to play.
You would have to pay the $1/round PDGA fee to play in this league regardless of PDGA membership status.

So it would be normal KCFDC fee structure + $1 PDGA fee.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 03:21:31 PM by robm »

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 03:24:37 PM »
Jack - maybe we could run 9 weeks on a KCFDC course and then the final 10th week at Perry.  We may have to adjust the time for the finale.  I would love to see (how bad) my rating would be at Perry.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 03:34:31 PM »
You of course can do it how ever you want, the issue would be getting approval to exchange funds at a course that isn't KCFDC approved.  I know for example a few places have already indicated that without insurance they don't want any type of "organized" event at their park.

So by having the KCFDC courses, you have the insurance piece covered, and that alleviates many of the NIMBY types.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"