Author Topic: KCFDC Clinics?  (Read 1069 times)

kevinmzane

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
KCFDC Clinics?
« on: March 12, 2014, 10:00:10 AM »
I have been approached a few times lately about lessons on the course and have given a handful of players some one on one time in the past. It is really easy for some of us to give tips to newer players and I know they all really appreciate the help. Unfortunately, a lot of the less experienced players don't have better players to chat with about technique when they go out to the course and not everyone has time to help every single player doing something wrong (nor is it appropriate to give out unsolicited advice).
I know there are several of us in town who excel in certain aspects of the game. Maybe we could get together and do some clinics on league nights or on workdays? I think if we had a guest speaker come to an occasional league or maybe run a program with a beginner league, we could provide some actual incentive to bring up league numbers (and in turn, membership numbers as well as a closer, more familiar DG community in KC).
....thoughts?

mpetrin

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: KCFDC Clinics?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 01:02:38 PM »
Paul will be changing up monday night rec leagues a little to help new players or for others to work on different things he wont be focusing on an 18 hole round but what people want to work on and than maybe get a few holes in. If you want to help paul s. Let him or myself know
Don't bug me, I'm trying to putt

kevinmzane

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 08:50:26 PM »
I'm always willing to help new players, but I think there is another problem concerning long-time casuals and rec/intermediate level players who just can't find a good reason to come to league (or return to league). A lot of the guys I run into on the course seem to have considered the idea of membership, or leagues but feel they don't have anything to gain. They are committed to playing and have a desire to improve, but just don't have the resources.

showmeDoug

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 11:54:52 PM »
There is an official workday at Blue Valley on April 5th, if you (Kevin) would give a driving clinic as an incentive to get some new people out to the course - you would be my hero.
I like BIG putts.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 09:21:26 AM »
I wouldn't mind giving some clinics on Mondays at New Players league.

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 12:04:11 PM »
I would be more than happy to help out with any clinics.  Before leagues would be ideal for me.
Joe Hesting

kevinmzane

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 09:09:07 AM »
There is an official workday at Blue Valley on April 5th, if you (Kevin) would give a driving clinic as an incentive to get some new people out to the course - you would be my hero.
Doug, Saturdays are really hard for me but I will see if I can work something out. I am currently signed up for volunteering for a school project that day in the morning.

kevinmzane

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 11:11:22 AM »
I was really hoping for something beyond the beginner level to help rec/int level players step up to competitive league play or tournament play. There is a pretty well-defined line between beginner league and competitive play and a complete absence of any significant aid to transition to the next level for these players.... maybe I just don't see it the same way as most, or maybe I'm missing something but I haven't gotten much good feedback on this idea. I thought we were trying to bring up league attendance, active membership and club presence?

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 05:06:40 PM »
GREAT IDEA!!! LaRon is already approaching this on a more personal level....

I've had a little section on Nebdisc.com for many years, and I have really tried to get as much information out as possible.... I could rewrite it, or post a link, to see whatchu need to read...

http://nebdiscforums.yuku.com/forums/10/TanK39s-Tips

Either way... I REALLY want to see more high level competitive/tournament golfers in KC! I'm available whenever, for whatever to aid that.
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 05:11:40 PM »

kevinmzane

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 10:29:25 PM »
Thanks Tank. I like that philosophy on correctly breathing get in order to correctly align your body. That is exactly the type of insight I think could really help developing players. I'm still not sure exactly how to best implement this type of program but with you and Joe on board so far I'd really like to get something going.. There are a couple others I have in mind that I think would be great as well.

What do you think about having these at leagues? I think rotating leagues, or doing monthly minis with clinics might best help drive membership but am open to suggestions.

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 11:16:39 PM »

What do you think about having these at leagues? I think rotating leagues, or doing monthly minis with clinics might best help drive membership but am open to suggestions.

both are great ideas... we should get some club rotating monthlies going too!!!

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 07:45:00 AM »

I'm all in!  Let's get something set up for Mid-April.
Joe Hesting

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 09:42:52 AM »

I'm all in!  Let's get something set up for Mid-April.

+1

jteater

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 10:23:51 AM »
Whatever kind of minis or clinics you guys have, probably lots of people (myself included) will show up for.  That will certainly increase activity. The only problem I see is it probably won't make a much higher quality of disc golfer in Kansas City. Usually when people go to an activity like that they get one or two good tips. Then they go right back to what they were doing. The thing I think helps me the most, and Kevin talked about it, is if you would each take a small group (3 or 4 people) and play a round with them. If I get pointers in a actual round setting that is where I learn the most. But I understand that is a large chunk of your time.  Maybe if you had a clinic and enough pros showed up that they could work with 3 or 4 people that would be awesome. Any of you guys can teach me anytime. :)