Author Topic: KCFDC Clinics?  (Read 874 times)

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: KCFDC Clinics?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 12:36:56 PM »
Getting better involves taking tips and practicing. I'm taking a guy out to work with his driving in a field. We will throw between 100 and 150 shots probably.

You can't take those tips from clinics and not practices them outside of golf. It takes a very long time to unlearn something, like the way you throw.

I'm fine giving people advice while they play. I've been focusing a lot on foot position with people this year. But if you want to really improve your throw, you need field practice and a lot of reps.

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 12:41:39 PM »
Spot on Chris...

What you learn, you must focus on and do in a field, not on a golf course....

I would even recommend using a field that has no baskets even around...
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

jteater

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 01:12:19 PM »
Getting better involves taking tips and practicing. I'm taking a guy out to work with his driving in a field. We will throw between 100 and 150 shots probably.

You can't take those tips from clinics and not practices them outside of golf. It takes a very long time to unlearn something, like the way you throw.

I'm fine giving people advice while they play. I've been focusing a lot on foot position with people this year. But if you want to really improve your throw, you need field practice and a lot of reps.

Right, and that guy your working with. When you give him a tip and watch him throw 100 to 150 times, you can correct him and keep working with him on the correct way to do it. When you have 20 to 30 people at a clinic you can't give that type of attention. My comment or thoughts weren't about if it's best in a field or on a course. They are about how many people each pro is working with. I also certainly understand if somebody shows you something and you don't work on it that's just your own stupidity. But if you show me something once or twice and watch me do it once or twice that doesn't mean I got it.

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 03:20:34 PM »
Whatever kind of minis or clinics you guys have, probably lots of people (myself included) will show up for.  That will certainly increase activity. The only problem I see is it probably won't make a much higher quality of disc golfer in Kansas City. Usually when people go to an activity like that they get one or two good tips. Then they go right back to what they were doing. The thing I think helps me the most, and Kevin talked about it, is if you would each take a small group (3 or 4 people) and play a round with them. If I get pointers in a actual round setting that is where I learn the most. But I understand that is a large chunk of your time.  Maybe if you had a clinic and enough pros showed up that they could work with 3 or 4 people that would be awesome. Any of you guys can teach me anytime. :)

I totally agree with this and what everybody else is saying.  I don't see why we can't run a clinic before a league, and then split up and put a pro with 3-4 ams for the round.  I learned most of what I know just by watching other pros throw different shots.  Watching what they do with their body, feet, breathing.  If you pay attention you can learn a lot, but you still have to go practice it....a bunch.

Joe Hesting

kevinmzane

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 06:08:16 PM »
Most casual golfers don't really have a better player they can learn from. Although clinics aren't going to magically make someone a better golfer overnight, it will give them valuable tidbits to work on. Clinics also put us out there as members of a community who support one another and introduce those players to people who can help give them the tools to develop their game as well as brings them into a community of like-minded individuals.
I also think mixed divisions on cards could help as well. I never had the benefit of having anyone mentor me and the most I ever learned was during rounds on cards with the pros.

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 08:25:37 AM »
Keep in mind, These clinics will be FREE of charge....!

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 09:03:53 AM »
No one gives a sh!t about Pro's anymore... don't you know this yet???

What!  The local pro isn't going to expect to be paid?   :o
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 09:17:13 AM by robm »
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 10:02:49 AM »
I will totally volunteer to hold a clinic at new players league next month.

jteater

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 07:44:48 PM »
I will totally volunteer to hold a clinic at new players league next month.

If you tell us which monday I will plan on being there. Thanks.

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 07:46:44 PM »
No one gives a sh!t about Pro's anymore... don't you know this yet???

What!  The local pro isn't going to expect to be paid?   :o

I take hugs as payment....

Jerry Patterson KCFDC #1610

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 04:02:49 PM »
I would be stoked to be able to play a round with a pro, and soak up as much knowledge as I can.

hberciunas

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 09:05:26 PM »
My wife is a certified personal trainer. I have her working on a 15 pre-round stretching routine and a disc golf stretch and conditioning program. She said she could do a 15-30 minute presentation.
PDGA #53842
KCFDC #1406
2012 KCFDC tag: 217
2013:            DD:           Beer League:
2014: 48

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2014, 10:58:07 AM »
I'm very interested in the stretching routine.

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2014, 12:35:50 PM »
I'm very interested in the stretching routine.

*Birdie* button