Author Topic: An interesting finish in Intermediate at Kan-U-Wyco (805.02 Section H. #2)  (Read 340 times)

bMathews

• Am Poster
  • Positive is how I live
    • View Profile
Myself and Andy Portwood tied in the Rosedale Open and Kan-U-Wyco this last weekend. 

At least we thought we tied at the WYCO, but we didn't actually tie, I shot 1 stroke less, which meant he beat me by a stroke. 

Anyone confused? In the final round, my front 9 score added up to a 34, but was marked a 35. Don't worry  I'm not mad at anyone but myself.  I checked and initialed the card and when the official score was counted, the mistake was found.  I then was given a 2-stroke penalty on top of my actual score per PDGA rule 805.02 section H, #2.

While I was pretty upset when I realized what happened, its not too big of a deal since it only dropped me from 3rd to 4th.  If it dropped me into a 4-way tie for 5th, i'd be much more upset. Andy had been nothing but positive and fun to play with the whole round so If I was going to take a 2-stoke penalty, at least the now sole owner of 3rd place was deserving of it. It was a great weekend, and I was pretty happy with my play overall.

Congratulations Andy! I've now gone head to head with you 3 times, and can't seem to beat you. 

I post this jokingly with a smile because it doesn't really matter that much in the grand scheme of things. Hopefully I will learn my lesson and never make the same mistake when there's more on the line. Moving forward, the most upsetting thing is that with the 2-stroke penalty, that round went from 911 rated to 898, I would have loved to shoot over 900 each round.

Remember to triple-check your scorecards people, even when you've played 4 rounds that weekend and you're physically and mentally drained. Just do all the calculations on your phone twice or however many times it takes to leave no doubt in your mind that the score on the card is accurate.

Please excuse the rant, but if just one person can learn from my mistake, then something good can come from my small misfortune.

For clarification of this rule see:
http://www.pdga.com/rules/official-rules-disc-golf/805-tournament-procedures/80502-scoring
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:26:01 AM by bMathews »
RHBH | 11yrs
PDGA# 59297 - 889 rated
2014 KCFDC Tag #54→182→110→6→202→39→50→39→50→169
2014 DD Tag #91→130→8→7→146→71

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Remember to triple-check your scorecards people, even when you've played 4 rounds that weekend and you're physically and mentally drained. Just do all the calculations on your phone twice or however many times it takes to leave no doubt in your mind that the score on the card is accurate.

+1.

I miss added everyone's score on a card during a tournament on a 20 hole course once.

DDKC

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
It is a pretty common mistake that you usually only make once.  At the end of the round, the numbers just jump together and many times, it seems so simple that a lot of players do not put much thought into it. 

If you get caught with an incorrect score it can be a tournament killer mentally.  I encourage everyone to never take the word of another player for your score, even if you are keeping score in your head or phone, still double check it.  Nothing worse than 2 strokes for simple math mistake.
Scott Reek
Dynamic Discs Kansas City

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
One of the more popular score card error - almost cost Will Schusterick $1,100 (1st place difference from 2nd place)

A non-score is the same as a wrong score when turned in.

http://rattlingchains.com/?p=2939

Schusterick said he counted the card, as did everybody else in the group. He then took the card to hand in – but didn’t think about putting the final score down. The scores were right, but the 43 was not written down.

“It’s completely my fault,” he said. “I didn’t write it down. The scorecard added up right, I just didn’t physically write the 43. I handed it in. I didn’t even think about writing it down.

“I had no idea,” he said. “Then they showed me the scorecard. I didn’t say a word. I couldn’t believe it. I couldn’t argue it. It’s the rule.”

Just like that, his two-stroke victory was gone. Add to that the $3,700 top prize, which was also now in jeopardy.

I'm aware of at least two different rounds getting the +2 this past weekend because of a wrong score. 
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

bMathews

• Am Poster
  • Positive is how I live
    • View Profile
Joe,  I by no means meant to make you upset, I have no one to blame but myself. Your name has been removed.   

I had a great couple of rounds with you over the last few months, and look forward to playing with you again!
RHBH | 11yrs
PDGA# 59297 - 889 rated
2014 KCFDC Tag #54→182→110→6→202→39→50→39→50→169
2014 DD Tag #91→130→8→7→146→71

kevinmzane

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
It's a mistake many of us will make (or have made).... hopefully only once.
I did it last year and likely missed 3 strokes because of it. (I think there was a scorecard error, but never ever looked at it)... Just shook it off and killed the next round but it isn't a mistake I will EVER make again.