Author Topic: Wyco League Change?  (Read 488 times)

ptinkc

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://end-of-the-web.com
Wyco League Change?
« on: March 14, 2014, 10:13:38 AM »
I heard Wyco league has changed to Wednesday night, is that correct? The Friday night league was a great league night  for that destination park. The KCFDC has done a great job establishing league nights and sticking to them over the years so people from all over remember when a league is and make the trek to go play it. Friday worked great for Wyco because it was a destination and normally you didn't have to work on Saturday so you could drive out there and play then hang out or go to the Legends and grab something to eat. This is disappointing that they moved it to try and do what?  Drive the attendance up? By competing with another Wyandotte County Park for Players? I don't think you will drive attendance up at all but just the opposite it will go down. Please try this out and if its not working  don't hesitate to move it back to Friday. The Lawrence players and the Kansas City players will appreciate it.
Thanks, Pete
Three discs' in the hand is better than twenty in the bag!

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Wyco League Change?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 11:09:55 AM »
Hello Pete,

The conversation is scattered all over the place.

Originally this conversation started with me asking if any current leagues were interested in sanctioning a PDGA league.  There was quite a bit of positive comments about having a PDGA league.  The two more popular suggestions were either a rotating league or moving WyCo to mid-week. That discussion is found here:

http://kcfdc.org/forum/index.php?topic=10209.0

Some league directors have expressed interest, but specific action was not being fully communicated.

The conversation was kind of all over the place, so to bring some structure I posted a poll found here:

http://kcfdc.org/forum/index.php?topic=10221.0

Both of which were found under the League section of the forum.

Meanwhile, Timko was asking for a WyCo league director found in the Wyco subsection, found here:

http://kcfdc.org/forum/index.php?topic=10176.0

It would appear from Timko's request, that any Wyco Friday players were unwilling or unknowing about the need for a league director.  I offered to run the league, but not on Fridays.  Married with kids, I'm not interested in playing on a Friday night.

Thinking that the discussion was properly vetted online and those that had an opinion would have communicated their opinion, I brought it to the last BOD meeting. 

At the BOD Wednesday Wyco was the determined best choice based on the impacts on other leagues.

After it was announced, including here:

http://kcfdc.org/forum/index.php?topic=10242.0

some individuals started to speak up stating they didn't know about it because the conversation was not listed under the Wyco course listings.  So, I put out one more thread to gain public comments under the Wyco course heading here:

http://kcfdc.org/forum/index.php?topic=10244.0

Now, we have another comment thread (this one) under General - neither under the League or Wyco Course subforums.

Wow.  This is all over the place, isn't it?

My enthusiasm is quickly draining. 

Getting back to the *original* question - does any current league director want to run a PDGA league?  If so, for God's sake, please speak up.  If not, I'm willing to do so.  If I do it, it has to be Monday or Wednesday.  I cannot commit to any other night for 10 weeks straight.  I'm not interested in Cliff - I'd rather not get into it so don't ask.

KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

jteater

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 11:48:16 AM »
I hope your enthusiasm kicks back up after the league starts (on Wednesday April 2nd) and everyone shows up to play. I appreciate your work on this and thank you.

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 12:45:50 PM »
Rob, thank you for your interest and we are not trying to bring you down at all. This is a great thing to have so many interested parties.

Agreed. 
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 01:06:08 PM »
When we changed Swope from Tuesday that did not go over that well and it seemed like a kcfdc tradition had been damaged.  Plus leagues  need to be run  based on distances from other leagues on the same night, not based on league directors availability.  I could be wrong, but didn't Swope have some players pick it back up on Tuesdays for casual league when no one official stepped up to run it which in turn lessened league numbers elsewhere. 

So many  great courses and so many great leagues.  I commend anyone stepping up to run a league.  I do not have the time  nor the energy.   i can not thank LDs enough for such a thankless job yet the most important one for our clubs continued success.  So thank you Rob and not coming at you. 

L.O.F.T.

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 01:40:19 PM »
I'll be out at Wyco tonight because I'm sure there are some people who thinks league started this week and don't come on this forum. Having 2 leagues at Wyco would be great.

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 02:22:08 PM »
In response to the apparent upheaval, I will address what I have read here. First and foremost, Rob Martin took the initiative, gauged interest, created a poll, researched what he needed to do, and brought it to the meeting for approval. (Applause all around for proactive and involved membership!)

It seems odd to me that once the decision was made there was suddenly all of this interest. Where was it before? Quality organizations do not spend their time and energy reacting. Instead, they are proactive and look towards the future. Again, Rob has demonstrated this in every way.  In addition to Robís efforts, Chris Timko searched as did Mike Petrin (VP of Kansas), Ben Crosby (VP of MO), and Rick Rothstein (at-large board member and salty staple of the KCFDC). There was no positive response. So, just to be clear there was a lot of behind the scenes work on this well before this meeting.

Changing the league date is not at all about competing with another WYCO league (WYCO Park is 18 miles from Rosedale). We have precedence for this as well. The KCFDC already runs two leagues on Tuesday night (SMP is 21 miles from Swope). Wednesday is the night Rob can run the league and that is the park he prefers.

The commitment to running a league is more than just being there. It also doing the paperwork, reporting, and depositing. For the league coordinator, this is key to running successful leagues on the club side. If we do not accurately report, we cannot pay out aces in a timely fashion (remember Young Park last year?), nor can we report income accurately which has negative consequences across the board for the clubs status and makes headaches for our treasure and lawyer. I would also add the improvements the KCFDC has funded in the last years are from that income as well tournaments. 

Lastly, WYCO is a Wide Open course this year. I am sure many players, local and out-of-towners, will appreciate the opportunity to play rated rounds leading up to the event. The bottom line is Rob took the initiative, and if in the end this doesnít work out and people donít like it, we will make changes. Change is hard to do. I get it. People may choose to play WYCO Friday still and that is awesome. No one is saying otherwise. It is true Swope went back to Tuesday, and we have had Van at the reigns all that time as well. ITíS THE PEOPLE that make the difference anywhere and everywhere you go. Letís not beat down Rob for being on-the-ball.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:27:52 PM by ekolk »

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 02:56:55 PM »
In response to the apparent upheaval, I will address what I have read here. First and foremost, Rob Martin took the initiative, gauged interest, created a poll, researched what he needed to do, and brought it to the meeting for approval. (Applause all around for proactive and involved membership!)

It seems odd to me that once the decision was made there was suddenly all of this interest. Where was it before? Quality organizations do not spend their time and energy reacting. Instead, they are proactive and look towards the future. Again, Rob has demonstrated this in every way.  In addition to Robís efforts, Chris Timko searched as did Mike Petrin (VP of Kansas), Ben Crosby (VP of MO), and Rick Rothstein (at-large board member and salty staple of the KCFDC). There was no positive response. So, just to be clear there was a lot of behind the scenes work on this well before this meeting.

Changing the league date is not at all about competing with another WYCO league (WYCO Park is 18 miles from Rosedale). We have precedence fort this as well. The KCFDC already runs two leagues on Tuesday night (SMP is 21 miles from Swope). Wednesday is the night Rob can run the league and that is the park he prefers.

The commitment to running a league is more than just being there. It also doing the paperwork, reporting, and depositing. For the league coordinator, this is key to running successful leagues on the club side. If we do not accurately report, we cannot pay out aces in a timely fashion (remember Young Park last year?), nor can we report income accurately which has negative consequences across the board for the clubs status and makes headaches for our treasure and lawyer. I would also add the improvements the KCFDC has funded in the last years are from that income as well tournaments. 

Lastly, WYCO is a Wide Open course this year. I am sure many players, local and out-of-towners, will appreciate the opportunity to play rated rounds leading up to the event. The bottom line is Rob took the initiative, and if in the end this doesnít work out and people donít like it, we will make changes. Chamge is hard to do. I get it. People may choose to play WYCO Friday still and that is awesome. No one is saying otherwise. It is true Swope went back to Tuesday, and we have had Van at the reigns all that time as well. ITíS THE PEOPLE that make the difference anywhere and everywhere you go. Letís not beat down Rob for being on-the-ball.

Joe Hesting

L.O.F.T.

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 03:10:51 PM »
First off Rob poll was pointless due to the choice he made by not going after the top responses. And this is not about Rob. This about having a league on Friday at Wyco. Now I don't know when the club figured out they didn't have a league director but I found out this week. Yes I know what it takes to run a league.

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 10:35:30 PM »
well I played rosie league 4-5 times last season, same with wyco. i'll have to choose now on Wednesdays based on the ace fund.
espouse elucidation

hberciunas

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 07:59:35 AM »

It seems odd to me that once the decision was made there was suddenly all of this interest. Where was it before? Quality organizations do not spend their time and energy reacting. Instead, they are proactive and look towards the future. Again, Rob has demonstrated this in every way.  In addition to Rob’s efforts, Chris Timko searched as did Mike Petrin (VP of Kansas), Ben Crosby (VP of MO), and Rick Rothstein (at-large board member and salty staple of the KCFDC). There was no positive response. So, just to be clear there was a lot of behind the scenes work on this well before this meeting.

Changing the league date is not at all about competing with another WYCO league (WYCO Park is 18 miles from Rosedale). We have precedence for this as well. The KCFDC already runs two leagues on Tuesday night (SMP is 21 miles from Swope). Wednesday is the night Rob can run the league and that is the park he prefers.

Lastly, WYCO is a Wide Open course this year. I am sure many players, local and out-of-towners, will appreciate the opportunity to play rated rounds leading up to the event. The bottom line is Rob took the initiative, and if in the end this doesn’t work out and people don’t like it, we will make changes. Change is hard to do. I get it. People may choose to play WYCO Friday still and that is awesome. No one is saying otherwise. It is true Swope went back to Tuesday, and we have had Van at the reigns all that time as well. IT’S THE PEOPLE that make the difference anywhere and everywhere you go. Let’s not beat down Rob for being on-the-ball.

two thumbs up.

You can't please all the people all the time - don't kill yourself trying.

What I have found out in KC disc golf, is to do what you are capable of doing to try and grow and better the sport, the club and the KC golf community.

If you can't make a Wednesday WYCO league . . . don't go.
if you don't like PDGA leagues . . . don't go
if you want to play WYCO on Friday nights . . . go play
If you really want WYCO Friday nights league . . . step up and run it (or team up with others)

There is no rules saying there can't be two leagues on the same course on two different nights.
There are no rules saying that your league has to be KCFDC.
PDGA #53842
KCFDC #1406
2012 KCFDC tag: 217
2013:            DD:           Beer League:
2014: 48

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 01:14:17 PM »
Oh the weeping and gnashing of teeth over change.  The only constant thing in life is change.  Why is this so hard for everyone to understand. 

Harold has it right.
If you can't make a Wednesday WYCO league . . . don't go.  If you don't like PDGA leagues . . . don't go
If you want to play WYCO on Friday nights . . . go play  If you really want WYCO Friday nights league . . . step up and run it

Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything.  If YOU don't like something, then YOU have the power to do something about it (besides griping) and make it better to your liking.  Stop waiting on THEY or THEM to fix it to your liking, because it may not ever happen.

Keep calm, and disc on. 

spnachio

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 09:52:38 PM »
Rob has to wear a white pdga shirt and hat. And gloves  :P

will there be homebrew?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 09:57:19 PM by spinachio »

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 10:01:05 PM »
Rob has to wear a white pdga shirt and hat. And gloves  :P

will there be homebrew?

;D

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 09:29:56 AM »
The big issue is that the only communication about this change or possible change is the internet........and we don't have all the people reading this and other posts.

People are out of town, have jobs, don't have computers, don't like going on line for this.  So once this started to spread (it gets nice, people are out playing again) to conversations about did you hear that there is no league out here on Friday any more?

Then people resort to reading things that they normally don't.

Was anything posted on the WyCo marquee about a change?  Did anyone ask about any of the league regulars out there to possibly help?

The internet is a tool, but I know personally of quite a few people that I will GUARANTEE will not have read one piece of information from the internet.  This is a great tool, but personally more information should be garnered from all aspects before a decision is made to change a league that has been in place for over a decade on one park than a few posts started a few weeks before leagues are slated to start.

I also think that (this is something I believe should be better of all of us, self included) had Rob been the person running league in the past that he may have been better served to speak for the normal people playing.  Instead now you have a person that hasn't ran league out there asking the BoD to approve changing something that has historically been in place to align with his abilities to run a league.  It wasn't a matter of WyCo needing to change to help the players, but rather, the person willing at the time to be able to commit (Rob this isn't a burn on you though I can see it looking that way.  I mean it more in a manner as had Tracy said, you know what we all looked at it last year and Wednesdays would be better.....) 

I also though applaud Rob for stepping up and taking on the change possibly to run the league.

In response to that, why not make it 2 leagues at WyCo.  Rob will run a PDGA league on Wednesday all people interested in attending can do so, and then Mark can run the KCFDC league on Friday's?

Do we not have enough people to play league twice a week out there?  Is it too much to think about?  Could we make WyCo on Friday's the first Doubles league in the city for quite some time?  Make the Friday leagues rotate through types of play, random dubs, wolf, cali rules, singles, team challenges?  I think that you could then alter the Friday style to be a little more cool.

Just a thought.  I hate to see any of the attention that Rob is getting for stepping up being viewed as negative.  I feel that we already don't have enough people stepping up to make things work in town.  It is done by a lot of the same people, so new energy is always a good thing to me. 

Instead of arguing why, lets figure out how to, and make it work in all instances.  BTW this is why I personally voted for the rotating locations, I think that way you get more people that will want to play on different circuits, and increase the participation across the board.....limiting it to one park makes that tougher.  People will show up once maybe 2x out of the normal, where as I feel (OPINION) as though that moving it would bring more people that are really driven by the PDGA to go to the varied course to see how they rate.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 09:32:27 AM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"