Author Topic: 2014-The Extrodinary Leagues of the Northeast  (Read 575 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
2014-The Extrodinary Leagues of the Northeast
« on: March 17, 2014, 10:03:29 AM »
In case you only read in the Cliff Drive Section on this forum.....(well you do get an extra credit point for reading this section only, as well as a keepsake to be determined later.....)  I posted this in the league section, but it does pertain to this course as well as Blue Valley!

Northeast League will be commencing March 31.  It will be at Cliff because....well March 31 isn't the first Monday of the month now is it?

Matt Eklund will be starting out to run leagues out there, we may need help over the year to make it work, but suffice it to say, we will get it done.

What does that mean to you?

It means get out here and play disc golf.  It also means that on April 7th we will be at Blue Valley.

It also means that by playing leagues out at Cliff Drive you will from time to time get to play on some of the "new design" holes this year.  Every week will be slightly different, in that you may experience a different throw from the previous week.

We will be shooting to start on the first 2 weeks by 5:45, so try to be there by 5:30 with registration ready, after that we should be good to go.

If you too want to help keep the league running strong, and step up to learn how, just ask.  We will make it very easy on you.

This year I also plan on giving away "league trophies" for those that make it to at least 13 leagues for some varying averages, attendance, and work day partners.  Some will be subjective scoring, and others will be based on stats.  No PDGA league this year will happen unless someone else wants to run it at Cliff, we will allow it (you would only pay $1 to that person extra) if someone steps up to do.  Otherwise we will be a KCFDC and Cliff Drive/Blue Valley ONLY league.

We may at one point end up playing a modified 27 hole round, with 9 holes of Mini golf thrown in the mix as well.

As my time allows it to help be creative we may do some crazy things at cliff this year, so watch as we move towards more disc golf in new lands out here!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2014-The Extrodinary Leagues of the Northeast
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 10:20:52 AM »

You will need to be in attendance for at least 6 of the 10 weeks to qualify for the "series award" (TBD, but I will have something)  I would also encourage more participation for Am's in this series as well this upcoming year.

This year I also plan on giving away "league trophies" for those that make it to at least 13 leagues for some varying averages, attendance, and work day partners.  Some will be subjective scoring, and others will be based on stats.  No PDGA league this year will happen unless someone else wants to run it at Cliff, we will allow it (you would only pay $1 to that person extra) if someone steps up to do.  Otherwise we will be a KCFDC and Cliff Drive/Blue Valley ONLY league.

I'm still waiting for the 'TBD' series award from Spring 2013.  I was the only player to show up all 10 weeks.
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 12:07:45 PM »
Good point.....I will work on that.  I really need to remember what all I write huh?

:-D
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 12:35:05 PM »
Well.....the Winner from the initial League series from Last Season for the First Round would be Jose Ossa.

Jose shot in 9 weeks, with an average of 57.3-MPO
Matt Crowe played in 7 weeks and shot an average of 61.3-MA1
Danger shot in 9 weeks and averaged 60.4-MPM
Jack Lowe played in 7 weeks and averaged 59.6-MM1

Only Rob Martin played in all 10 weeks with an average of 72.2-MA1

We had 53 different people play that completed 150 rounds.  We had 5 people play that didn't complete rounds.  I think that officially it was also the first year that Ryan A. Westa didn't get an DNF during the first session.

I am comprising the 2nd session, but need to get the PDGA stuff set up correctly first.

Based on the above stats, our first Series Winner will be Jose Ossa.  Sorry Rob.  I may have a "Perfect Attendance" award as well though, because I dig that kind of thing on people!  I only wish I wasn't traveling so much to get that award myself........
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 12:50:39 PM »
The second series of League PDGA style.....was available for only 6 weeks, and no one played all 6 weeks....so there will not be awards for the 2nd session.  Travel and weather impacted this season of events.

However, we did have the following:

Jose Ossa-played in 5 weeks, and averaged 55.8-MPO
Jack Lowe-played in 4 weeks and averaged 61.8-MM1
CD Steiner-played in 3 weeks and averaged 62.0-MPM

Only Ryan Keck made it out for at least 3 weeks during this season, and Ryan is classified as an MPO-his average was 64.3

Again NO PDGA leagues are planned at this time in Cliff/Blue Valley.  That could change if someone wanted to step up and run it accordingly.  Must work with Matt about making that happen.  Otherwise, this whole league thing is starting on the 31st.  I will get it started, but I have class on Monday nights, so I will be taking off after it gets moving.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 12:56:08 PM »
The 'TBD' implied there would be an encouragement for Am's.  If it's on pure average than obviously a pro would win, which isn't very Am friendly.  If we are looking at raw scores, I would think averaging the rating instead of the raw score when using multiple courses and pin placements would be the truer measurement. 

Then again, one could also use the PDGA Points as the determination which would mean Matt Crowe would lead everyone regardless of division with 95 points, even higher than Jose Ossa.  I guess not having it clear before it was started sure added some confusion.

But hey, that's your call, right, since you ran the league?  I mean, I applaud you for stepping up and taking on change by running KC's first PDGA sanctioned league.  Kuddos.

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 01:07:13 PM »
I was working on finding someone to help me split time running this league on Friday, but I guess keeping CD league on Monday is alright with me.  I still think a "Closer to the Central City" league on Fridays would be great.  I could run some monthly fun minis at (Cliff, Swope, BV, WW) if people are interested.  Maybe that would help break some people into the idea.  I got some fun ideas.

Joe Hesting
West Side 4 Life!!!!

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 02:22:18 PM »
Right now the last Monday of the Month will be a different Format moving forward as well.  With the exception of this month, where just kicking it off is the plan.

Moving ahead, Doubles, Wolf, Cali-Cali Partner possibles will be happening.  We will be doing CTP's as well as Farthest Putt contests through the year.

On last year's Series events winner, I haven't made a decision yet, as I forgot about it.  It was to be able to entice Am's to play for certain...but really we didn't attract as many as I would have likened.

The course though is seeing much more play this year already.  On Saturday when I was out there working, there were probably over 40 people playing.  I had one of the local regular park runners ask if a tournament was going on.

Between kids older, work, school and re-design of the course it does take time.  Something that I don't have as much to give as I once did.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 07:34:23 PM »
Well, the 4 people who go to Wyco league must've spoken really loudly! ;D
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 09:55:54 PM »
Well, the 4 people who go to Wyco league must've spoken really loudly! ;D
Mike, have I told you lately how much I miss drinking Busch Light with you?

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 01:17:57 PM »
is league on for tonite?
espouse elucidation

Bill the TD

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 01:47:44 PM »
I was looking foward to it if the wind does not blow us off of the hill. :)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 02:05:44 PM »
I have class tonight, but I think that Matt Eklund who is running league out there this year indicated that he has to work until 6 this week.  They didn't plan this day as well as they would have likened themselves to do.

I am out until May before I can play or help with league due to my class schedule on Monday.  I also didn't plan my life very well around league there this year now did I?
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 03:14:31 PM »
looks like no league at Cliff tonight, kicking off league next week at Blue Valley.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 03:59:43 PM »
Sounds like Matty found some way to get out to Cliff in time to run league.  So It is on out there for certain!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"