Author Topic: Leave the chainsaw at home  (Read 509 times)

kevinmzane

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Leave the chainsaw at home
« on: April 02, 2014, 09:52:10 AM »
Is it just me, or does it seem like someone with a chainsaw has gotten bored (or mad) at a few workdays around here? I'm guessing that is the case on hole #8 at Lakeside or on #10 (short right) at Waterworks because they really used to be good holes with some opportunity for score separation. While these may be the most extreme examples, they are far from the only ones.
Did anyone discuss this? I didn't even see a workday scheduled or a discussion where someone MIGHT have had a say... I realize I'm not really affiliated with these courses aside from general club membership (if that counts for anything) but I just don't understand how anyone would imagine removing the entire bottom of the big cedar on #8 at Lakeside (which is really the best alternative to a sand trap) and many of the lower branches from the guardian trees as well.
I understand there have been several dead or diseased trees removed on many of the courses, but it doesn't appear to be the case in either of my examples or in several others throughout the area.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Leave the chainsaw at home
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 12:22:31 PM »
This is standard in Olathe. Look at all the cedars/pine trees at PC. They are all trimmed up like that. And the designer, which in this case is Tom Butler, would have the say, along with the parks department on what trimming they do. The club could suggest changes or improvements but I would say it should go through the designer.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 05:02:52 PM »
The City trimmed all the trees at Lakeside after our initial course setup. I told them they pretty much ruined 8, and their response was "most people aren't as skilled as you and your club members".  ::)

I went on to explain to them that now instead of a tricky birdy oppurtunity, and if in or behind the cedar a sometimes tricky 3, it is now an easy birdy, or a boring 3 every time.

pmart

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 05:48:59 PM »
This opens up the "roller" opportunity I've always dreamed of on hole #8 at Lakeside!!  High-fives all around ;)

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 08:50:50 PM »
a tricky birdie for a tree hugger is a duck that poops on their windshield
espouse elucidation

kevinmzane

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 09:26:40 AM »
I was really hoping it wasn't disc golfers... Sucks that the city took it up so far from the ground. It not only ruined the hole, but it looks really ugly.

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 12:07:52 PM »
The City trimmed all the trees at Lakeside after our initial course setup. I told them they pretty much ruined 8, and their response was "most people aren't as skilled as you and your club members".  ::)

I went on to explain to them that now instead of a tricky birdy oppurtunity, and if in or behind the cedar a sometimes tricky 3, it is now an easy birdy, or a boring 3 every time.

Boooo!

This was my favorite hole at Lakeside.  Played about 5 times, (3 birdies, 2 bogies).  Great hole.  So disappointing >:(
Joe Hesting
West Side 4 Life!!!!

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 12:45:12 PM »
i have not seen the hole, but what about planting some type of ornamental fountain grass?  Olathe seems awful touchy about their flora but maybe something can be planted in front.  Some species grow fast and can get up to 10 feet tall.  Or what about even getting a couple large round bales and placing them there.  it takes years for those things to decay.

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 01:01:54 PM »
they for sure ruined about 3 holes out there...
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 03:25:25 PM »
Having never seen this particular hole, I like the fountain grass idea as it can 'paint' the Winter landscape...then be cut way down in the Spring.  Any variety of these takes a few years after the initial planting to really get going...and they need a LOT of sun exposure to grow to their tallest.  So, unless this is the South side of this tree, it will provide semi-marginal coverage at best.
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 04:21:49 PM »
you could get more sun by strategically trimming the top of the tree
espouse elucidation