Author Topic: Colorado Courses  (Read 448 times)

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Colorado Courses
« on: April 08, 2014, 03:12:37 PM »
Quick question for anyone who has played in Colorado.  I am taking a trip out there more than likely this summer and thinking about passing through Colorado Springs, Denver and eventually on to Rocky Mountain National Park.  Without deviating too far off the beaten path, is there a course or two that I shouldn't miss?  This would be a trip with the wife, so will only be able to play one maybe two courses along the way and want to make it worth while.  Clearly we have some of the best courses in the nation right here in KC so I don't want to be bored with some random course(s) in Colorado either just because it's en route.  Let's hear it fellas.
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

swezy

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Colorado Courses
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 03:56:40 PM »
I've heard Beaver Ranch/Conifer is awesome.  I haven't made it there yet though...

I've played a few courses near RMNP.  Which side of the park are you going to? Estes or Grand Lake?  If you're going to Grand lake, you'll drive right by Winter Park, which has a really nice course.   There's also other stuff to do there to help keep your wife occupied if she doesn't play.

I've also heard Ghost Town http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2668 is pretty cool, it's the next one on my list.
kcfdc #1468

pdga #57407

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 04:08:09 PM »
when I travel I use this:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/top_ranked.php

you can list it by state and edit search, etc.

then read various reviews
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 04:11:15 PM »
when I travel I use this:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/top_ranked.php

you can list it by state and edit search, etc.

then read various reviews

Thanks Rob, I'm pretty familiar with the site.  I've done that already, but wanted to see what some of our club members had to say about their experiences and where they've enjoyed playing in the past. 

Ghost town was already where I was leaning as well as the YMCA course in Estes as that is where we'll end up towards the latter half of our trip.  Any other suggestions?
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 08:16:09 AM »
First of all, don't waste your time on any of the courses on the Front Range, this includes CO Springs and Denver cities. 

BeaverRanch in Conifer is the best on your route by far.
Ghost town is cool because of the scenery, and your wife might enjoy.
I hear great things about Bailey but I never got a chance to play that while living out there.
I also hear great things about Phantom Falls.

If it was me, and the wife was ok with it, I would get all your golfing in in 1 day in the Conifer area. That's where the best are.

If you can't, Estes Park YMCA is not terrible by any means and that is right by RMNP.  It has some fun holes.  And Winter Park Resort or Empire (Rocky Mountain Village DGC) can be fun too.

Please don't waste your time playing any of the cities, or for that matter, even hanging out in them.  If you are going to the mountains, spend all your time in the mountains.  The Front Range is basically just an over-crowded Western Kansas.  With legal drugs.  YOu will spend most of your time sitting in your car fighting traffic.

Take some flippy plastic!! ;)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 08:19:34 AM by white mccoy »
Joe Hesting

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 08:25:38 AM »
Thanks Joe, that's the review I was looking for.  I'm not sure what to do about flippy plastic...I don't exactly own any of that  ::)  Destroyers are flippy right?
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 08:36:29 AM »
Agreed.  I've played Beaver Ranch/Conifer Park and it's likely the best course I've played.  My next Co trip, I'm playing Phantom Falls.  And you'll be whipped by the time you are done if you play Beaver Ranch. 

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 08:44:21 AM »
Thanks Joe, that's the review I was looking for.  I'm not sure what to do about flippy plastic...I don't exactly own any of that  ::)  Destroyers are flippy right?

I guess you should look for the Hyzer Route, or throw forehand if you come across a left-to-right hole.  Cuz those destroyers aren't flippin, unless you are throwing a roller with them. 

Of course you throw farther, so maybe it won't be a problem for you :o
Joe Hesting

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 08:50:50 AM »
Haha I'll bust out the old champ Beast and Leo and see how they handle the Colorado atmosphere.  By that time, my G* Krait should be pretty straight to flippy as well - HIGHLY recommend this disc to anyone who hasn't thrown it yet.  Has a TON of glide and holds whatever line you put it on; McBeth wasn't joking around with his likeness for this disc. 

Back on topic, I think I'll try and talk her into Beaver Ranch and then we'll play the YMCA course when we meet up with some family members in Estes.  Thanks for the tips fellas!
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

thankyoupeter

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 08:51:06 AM »

Take some flippy plastic!! ;)

When I last went to Colorado, I brought some discs that would flip and roll in Kansas City, but I could still barely turn them over in the mountains.  The only disc I could really flip was an old beat up 145g R-Pro Boss. 

That experience and this post got me thinking, are there any resources out there that describe in specific terms how altitude affects disc flight?  Ideally, I'd love to see something that says if you throw a Nuke (or some other disc) at X elevation, it would be similar to throwing Y at Z elevation.  Anyone familiar with such a resource? 

zumagun

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 09:28:36 AM »
I stayed in Colo. Springs for a week last summer and played Cottonwood Creek every day. It's a challenging course with a mix of long and short holes all packed in a small area in a very busy park (Walkers, Joggers and Bikers.)

I couldn't believe how dangerous it was. The RHBH line on a couple holes is right over the walking path, to hyzer back in bounds again. There are so many walkers and bikers, I had to wait a minute or two on a few occasions.  The week I was there, course gossip was about how someone hit a baby carriage being pushed along the walking path.

Also, hole 4 is a wide open shot that has a good chance of landing next to hole 1 where there may be people putting. I remember there being other areas where you're throwing toward other golfers as well.

It's fun, but be careful.

artisan

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 02:08:42 PM »
I like Bird's Nest in Arvada, Co.  It's between Denver and Boulder.  It's pretty open and only has elevation on a couple holes, but it can be difficult with tree placement and all the low scrub brush.  Have fun wherever you play!

goat

• Am Poster
  • Punk Ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 02:25:34 PM »
I can't believe no one has mentioned Pueblo city park!  A very well designed and challenging course.  It's one of my favorites.   

Some of locals who play there are impatient and don't have much for etiquette.   "They" think it's ok to throw at you while your putting the same hole.  Other than that, it's really cool.

Bueno Vista has a course with a ton of pinion trees.  Pagosa Springs.. same deal with 150 ft holes.

I've played several courses way up near timberline.  If you play any of those, have a spotter, because you will not find your disc.   Snowmass Village has a couple of interesting courses.  Take a gondola up to hole 1 and play 17 of 18 holes going straight down.

But, sadly, Joe is correct.  Cottonwood and Pueblo are ok, but you're better off going fishing and enjoying the mountains.  The excellent golfing is here in KC!

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 03:42:20 PM »
Conifer was so much fun.

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 04:14:59 PM »
I played the YMCA course in Estes last summer and had a blast. It is a beautiful course with lots of wildlife. We played it 2-3 times and everytime we saw deer hanging out by the holes and just strolling through the park. The course is a bit hard to navigate because the tees aren't clearly marked and they didn't really have tee pads. Just dirt. You can get a course map in their activities lodge. But its got great elevation and is fun for all skill levels. Hope you enjoy it.
PDGA 39363