Author Topic: Trash abatement  (Read 616 times)

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Trash abatement
« on: April 14, 2014, 10:26:08 PM »
At Cliff Dr last weekend I saw two trash cans. One on hole 3, other on hole 5. I know I'm asking a huge request when I expect people to actually put their trash in a can, but when the course doesn't even have cans, where will an irresponsible person put their trash? Carry in carry out won't work when local residents carry in bag fulls of trash to dump along the road.

Seriously, what can be done to curb the trash at Cliff? It's disgusting. And no I'm not interested in cleaning a park 45 miles from me when residents 4,500 feet from the park use it as a landfill.

I don't like to b%tch unless I have some suggestions, so here it goes:

Put cans on every hole. Lot easier to put bottles in a can when there is a can.

Put signs along the road (bigger then the 8x11 signs on Cliff Dr) that inform of the illegal dumping consequences. I'm serious. Ask the city to have metal signs that are 2 feet by 3 feet with huge letters that say illegal dumping will cost you $X fine. Make it abnoxiously visible. I'd rather see the signs then another bag of household trash dumped along the road.

OK - here's the controversial suggestion. If locals are going to dump......let's provide them a dumpster. We provide clean needles to addicts. Let's provide an empty dumpster to dumpers.

Am I crazy?

KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Trash abatement
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 09:55:23 AM »
preaching to the choir.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:48:24 AM »
So, what's going to be done about it?

First solution seems to be a simpe one by replacing the cans that are no longer there.

Second solution seems to be feasible.  Asking the city to post signs about ordinances should not be that difficult.  If it is, why would the club even bother having any clean up days if the city isn't willing to post signs.

Third solution is a bit of a stretch, and could possibly encourge people to bring their trash to the park.  But the dumping is way the @#$ out of hand.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 12:18:59 PM »
we have put signs, the trash cans get stolen...I can't figure out why.  There are cans on 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 12 right now.  I had planned on trying to get out there this past weekend to make a dent.

Bottom line Rob is that unless we take ownership and pride in the course and do it, it will not get done.  That is part of the reason to encourage other activities (ERTA and the new trails) into the park.  I have been working with many people over the years, club members, civic leaders, P&R, community residents to make an impact.  Although you see it as trashy right now, it pales in comparison to years past, the time is smaller.  Just this year, Doug, his kid, Matt Eklund, my neighbor Mark, and Myself went out on a 2 degree day to make an impact on the course.

Overall it really boils down to usage.  The park sees more usage, and I will work on getting replacement trash cans out there, but it doesn't solve the issue if we have people dumping the cans to get the aluminum out for their own recycle money.  The biggest thing is to pack out what you pack in.  We are not good at doing this as disc golfers.  WW is a PRIME example of how much trash we put on a course.  It overflows there as well.  It is just amazing how much we get out on a course.  So until the disc golfers as well work on this, it is tough to point fingers.  I can attest that when I see Blvd bottles in the middle of the fairway, I don't think that it is a dumping.

Now that being said, ABSOLUTELY an issue on illegal dumping.  P&R is aware, and we will and constantly look to find ways to combat it.  It really is an education thing though.  In KCMO, you only have to put the trash on the curb, and they will get it.  I mean seriously, put it in the front yard, that is it.  Yet people dump in the park.  It is uninformed illiterate individuals with the trash bags for certain.  Signs won't help these folks.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 02:14:27 PM »
As of 9:00 AM Friday, 4/11/14, there were 2 trash cans on the whole course.  A permanent metal one on hole 3.  And a white plastic 55-gal one on hole 5. 

I think larger than life signs would help.  The tiny little 8.5 x 11" signs I saw on Cliff Drive proper when I was tooling around at 8:30 AM hardly brought attention.  I think 2' x 3' signs every 100' along Reservoir Drive would bring some attention. 

Harold gave us trash bags to clean as went Friday.  Picking up a bottle here and there doesn't make a dent when there are 5-6 BAG FULLS of trash dumped at one location. 

I'll pick up bottles when I see steps being made to stop people from dumping.  This is my question: What is being done to stop people from dumping BAG FULLS of trash in the park?

Let's work smarter, not harder. 

Why did I start this thread?  I'm not sure.  I really do like Cliff Drive DGC.  It's one of my favorit in KC metro.  It makes me pissed when I see parks trashed that way.  It also make me pissed when I see a call to arms for work days when people are dumping trash faster then we can pick it up.  We are trying to stop a torrent overflow with a bunch of toothpicks.

showmeDoug

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 02:32:49 PM »
Shout out to FTL for cleaning as they played last Friday 6-8 bags of trash cleaned up - not bad. With the addition of the boulders/cameras past hole #12 and the partnership with the Earthriders that area should be better in the future.
The hill at hole # 1 just needs to be picked up regularly. BTW, I am going to detrash hole #1 this Thursday in anticipation of COF.
I like BIG putts.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 12:15:08 PM »
I was planning on heading out there as well Thursday, won't make Matt Crowe Happy, but it needs to be done, and that is the only day I can get out there I am pretty sure.  What time you thinking?

Rob if you have an answer let me know.  I have been cleaning the park for over 14 years now out there, it happens, it sucks, and if you are angry, think about myself and the anger inside of me over the years of CONSTANT cleaning on the park......
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 02:09:31 PM »
Rob, I hope you didn't take this the wrong way.  I do appreciate your concerns over the park.  It also made me ask P&R where all the cans may have gone.  It is freaking odd, but I know that the metal ones get used as "hot boxes" for fires by homeless....I can't figure out how to get the plastic ones as much as I would like. 

So your post was actually getting something done even though it didn't!  It was you that did!
 ;D

===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 08:34:17 AM »
I tried to get #1 cleaned, up, it can always use more.  Not to call you wrong Rob.....but got trash cans cleaned on 3, 4, 5, 8, moved one can from the stage area to in front of #1 pad.  I will work at moving the ones that the city said they will bring.  I really just want them about every 3 holes out there is about all I want to pick up.

I do appreciate your calling more attention to it though, it did make me react faster and prioritize better.

Trash is emptied from the cans, trash is still there though....  :-(
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 01:20:39 PM »
The plastic one's came from Coca-Cola.  Someone in the club's brother in law worked in the shipping department.  I'm struggling to remember who at the moment.  Getting old sucks.  I got one truck and trailer load from him.  John Theiss got some for Young and I took some to Cliff Drive.  Old Pike got the rest because I didnt have room to store a bunch in my garage and none of the other courses would claim them.  I believe he said we could have as many as we need that the polar bears dont get.  The plastic ones can be brittle and break, but they're lighter and you don't need a tetanus shot to handle them.

Drew D Neitzel

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 01:32:19 PM »
The plastic one's came from Coca-Cola.  Someone in the club's brother in law worked in the shipping department.  I'm struggling to remember who at the moment.  Getting old sucks.  I got one truck and trailer load from him.  John Theiss got some for Young and I took some to Cliff Drive.  Old Pike got the rest because I didnt have room to store a bunch in my garage and none of the other courses would claim them.  I believe he said we could have as many as we need that the polar bears dont get.  The plastic ones can be brittle and break, but they're lighter and you don't need a tetanus shot to handle them.

Agreed.  They don't look nice, but they are WAY easier to empty as well, and less prone to be used by the individuals who think it may be their hot plate...
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

showmeDoug

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 11:30:27 PM »
@Jack, I couldn't make it to Cliff tonight but I am planning on going out there tomorrow about 6:30, I'll put in a little time on #1. I also got in touch with the Earthriders and got a group together to help clean the hill beside #12. (they don't even play disc golf, they just want to show their appreciation for us sharing the park.)
I like BIG putts.

robm

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 06:32:56 AM »
Trash cans are good. Thanks guys. Please give some thought about the signage idea

showmeDoug

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 08:09:28 PM »
I puled a large bag trash off of #1 and another off of #12 (the mtnbkrs got some there too) #1 looks good but #12's hill is depressing. Signs won't help (even if they are written in Spanish) they know they're not supposed to dump there. I would put some boulders beside the road so you can't park and dump by #1's hill and by the road at #12's tee pad.
I like BIG putts.

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 10:02:41 AM »
I agree.  They know what they're doing is illegal.  Large signs are just a blank canvas to be tagged, attracting a whole different type of criminal.  They'd become and eye-sore quickly, and it's not cost effective to continually clean/replace them.  And don't count out those crazy college kids who think an "Illegal Dumping Prohibited, $10,000 Fine" sign would be a nice piece of artwork to hang above their throne.
Drew D Neitzel