Author Topic: 2014 Midwest Amateur Championships - PDGA B Tier - Kansas City - August 2/3  (Read 9926 times)

jayhawker737

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
So I take it that WaterWorks is set up for the tourney and can be played at any time in that set up? Are the temp holes there and all the mando signs there?

DDKC

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
I will say that I love Hole #A, but not happy with Hole B.  I do think it is a safety issue especially once the parking lot gets full.  We will do our best to control that. 

Hole #3 has a Mando because I do not want people playing the big hyzer down #2's fairway.  i do think the ceiling on #3 will need cleaned as the tunnel is pretty tight.

I do love all the feedback and I have the courses set so it gives me time to tweak them prior to the event if I need too.  I think overall I got mostly positive responses about the course.  Waterworks will have spotters during the event so it should help with the flow control.

If I do change A and B, I do like the idea of the shot near 16, which then would change Hole #8 to the short which I really like as well.
Scott Reek
Dynamic Discs Kansas City

DDKC

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
So I take it that WaterWorks is set up for the tourney and can be played at any time in that set up? Are the temp holes there and all the mando signs there?

The temp holes are not there, but the flags on the ground are.  All the Mandos are marked by orange ribbon on the trees.
Scott Reek

jayhawker737

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks!

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Nothing wrong on the #8 movement Scott, to accomplish that feeling on #1 though you may want to think about the short hole #1, and the parking to long #1 though.  #16 as I drove by it last night may need some clearing out.

On #3, I would think just making it OB straight then towards the pin, essentially where bollards used to be as an OB line is a better option, as I indicated my shot anny'd out and hyzer'd back as did another on the card, so we are still playing the fairway on #2 if that is what you are trying to avoid.

The other option would be just go real ROGUE and bring it in to the next pin placement and tighten it and OB it ala Island type and keep a tight pocket, that would force people out, and use the drop zone by the tree if you aren't on the Island from the tee.

Food for thought.  I do appreciate all the work and effort you are putting into this event. 
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
The registrations are coming in.  We are planning a one rounder on the Friday before the event (August 1st) along with Team Who Man with a Friday Clinic and Saturday they will be present with an obstacle course during the players party.
Any more info on this?
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Scott,
I was wondering if you have a payout table already for this event? I think this is the first time I've ever played an Am only event so I was just curious what that makes the payout structure look like and how many spots get paid. I'm in intermediate. I know that one is full already so I thought you may at least know the structure for that, or a rough estimate. Thanks!
And is rec playing trophy only or do they get paid out also?
PDGA 39363

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Nothing wrong on the #8 movement Scott, to accomplish that feeling on #1 though you may want to think about the short hole #1, and the parking to long #1 though. 

I think you will have a hard enough time finding parking for everyone without using some of the limited spaces for a tee.

Scott, I enjoyed the course on Wednesday.  No missed Mandos, no OBs, but still should have shot better.  But I had fun with the changes.

There is a few Mandos that are questionable to me, but Hey, what do I know...I'm just a pro, and I can't play in the MAC....so my voice does not matter  :'(

Only 1 last thing, and this will probably tick off half the field....but I think next year, in order to really call it the Midwest Amateur Championship....it should be strictly 1 Champion.  1 Division...no rec, no int, no age restrictions....1 Champion to rule them all.  Actually 2 champions, with the Women's Champ.

I look forward to seeing all you crazy guys chucking your plastic at the MAC.  Maybe I will help you find your disc if it goes in the woods....If it doesn't go too far in.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 08:30:54 AM by white mccoy »
Joe Hesting
West Side 4 Life!!!!

DDKC

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Currently over 240 players and spots are getting thin.  Around 20 left in Advanced, 10 left in Recreational.  2 weeks and counting!!
Scott Reek

DDKC

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
The registrations are coming in.  We are planning a one rounder on the Friday before the event (August 1st) along with Team Who Man with a Friday Clinic and Saturday they will be present with an obstacle course during the players party.
Any more info on this?

It is still planned.  A flex start $10 one rounder at Rosedale Park from 10-6.  Singles, Doubles, Mixed Doubles.  Open to anyone who wants to play.
Scott Reek

DDKC

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Scott,
I was wondering if you have a payout table already for this event? I think this is the first time I've ever played an Am only event so I was just curious what that makes the payout structure look like and how many spots get paid. I'm in intermediate. I know that one is full already so I thought you may at least know the structure for that, or a rough estimate. Thanks!
And is rec playing trophy only or do they get paid out also?

As of now 40% - 45% of the MA2 INT field will receive a payout and Recreational is trophy only.  That could change, but as of today, this is where I am on it.  If it changes drastically I will post the change.
Scott Reek

Utz

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
on Original hole 17 - the Mando needs to be moved back 1 tree. This allows a safe shot but still a challenge with risk/reward. the second shot doesnt interfere with 9's fairway or 18's  teepad.
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
on Original hole 17 - the Mando needs to be moved back 1 tree. This allows a safe shot but still a challenge with risk/reward. the second shot doesnt interfere with 9's fairway or 18's  teepad.

^ I said same thing.  If you lay up down the hill by 17's short pin.  This is the best line up to 12's Peninsula basket.  And this doesn't affect hole 9 or 18.  The way it is now, the only good line up to 12's Peninsula basket is to throw it 550ft over into 13's fairway.  Moving the Mando would then make this hole a Par 4, instead of a Par 5 though. But what do I know.  I am only calling it how I would want to play it. Need more players that are playing in the MAC to speak up.
Joe Hesting
West Side 4 Life!!!!

DDKC

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
The only reason I don't like it is because it rewards a bad shot also.  If a person throws it 100 feet and burns it into the ground, they still have the ability to save Par or birdie based on a Par4.  If people are 100 feet away from the mando and go for it, then 9 and 18 do come into play if the shot is turned over or thrown to wide.  It is only a good option if the shot lands near the shorter mando.  I personally like the shorter mando also but from a safety stance and a difficulty stance I like it where it is. 

That's my thought on why I did what I did
Scott Reek