Author Topic: 2014 Midwest Amateur Championships - PDGA B Tier - Kansas City - August 2/3  (Read 9832 times)

KCWaldo

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Probably would have been easier to move the mando from the right side tree to a left side tree, that way if it went down the hill the drop zone would have solved the issue.

Thanks for the tourney and all those who helped with it, I enjoyed it.   
Duane Waldman

PDGA# 59362
KCFDC# 1598

Steve the Quiz Berry

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Had a blast...A big thank you to the spotters....
I just arrived in Carlsbad New Mexico..and after a short nap from the drive,  a thought came to mind.
During the instructions on second day at Water Works..The Guy telling me the rules, did not accept my nod of the head as..a yes I understood..And saying yeah, was not acceptable..I had to say ::Yes Sir:::
Other than that was a great tourney.
Courses were in outstanding shape.Great job to all those behind the scenes.
And you can nod your heads and..I'm good with that..
Congrads to all winners.

thankyoupeter

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
I'm really curious as to why Loomis was giving the Sunday cards such a hard time.  I didn't see any of that on Saturday. 

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
^^^ I was curious of that as well. Saturday Loomis seemed to be authoritative but not demeaning. However I had three friends playing rec who were playing their first ever tournament. All three dnf'd partially due to the weather but they also communicated to me that they were extremely frustrated and offended by Loomis and his actions and it kind of ruined their round from the start and left a bitter taste in their mouth about playing future tournaments.  I will be emailing DD with their comments.

I did find it interesting though that Loomis gave us Saturday folk the same instruction about a lost disc as the rainy day instructions. One guy in my group lost his disc to the left on hole 8. It wasn't in a dangerous or unplayable area but we didn't find it. I told him the rules stated he had to re-tee but the group members argued that Loomis had said to play it from where it last been seen. So I was overruled. Not a big deal to me, but I know it was not the correct call based on the pdga rules. But it's over now. I think his main concern was more about speed of play that precision rule keeping.

Despite much of the negative comments, I really appreciate all the volunteers and workers who helped out. I felt it was run well the players pack was awesome, party was great, and overall experience for me was good. The only thing I wish was different was having intermediate division awards when their round was over instead of having to wait 3+ hours for advanced to finish. Which I am still not sure how much I won. Is there a way for me to find out? Thanks again for running a fun tournament.
PDGA 39363

Zier

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
I'm really curious as to why Loomis was giving the Sunday cards such a hard time.  I didn't see any of that on Saturday.

He did it on Saturday as well. I played with a couple out of towners both days, and they both commented on the smoking rule (should be card consensus at B tier according to them). There was also unanimous dissatisfaction from our card in how the rules were delivered. It seemed belittling having to respond to everything with a yes sir or yes.

robm

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Yes sir? Are you effing kidding me?!
KCFDC: 1507
PDGA: 51540
Tournament map: http://goo.gl/maps/AAYAj

Zier

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Anthony, your card received instructions to play discs from where they crossed out of play? Those were not the same instructions we received on Saturday. In fact, the card in front of us had to come back and re-throw due to a lost disc/3 minute rule. We almost had one on our card as well.  We all had the understanding that, as the rules stated, you needed to come back and throw from your last established lie. I'm curious, what time did you throw on Saturday, I wonder if this was brought up and rules clarified mid day?

thankyoupeter

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
I teed off around 11:00 and the "throw from the woods OB" was not discussed.  The importance of the 3 minute rule and the pace of play was discussed.

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Couple of things....
Loomis said things that he wasn't authorized to say.
Non-smoking clause isn't a Card consensus, it was simply a Loomis being an overactive jerk.  He had no right, the park isn't smoke free, nor does he have the power and authority to do so.  Who empowered him?  Himself, that is all, and since he acted as if he had that power very few argued it (I did, and I don't smoke, I simply said you're wrong and you can't do that-something I said quite frequently during his pontification)

Sunday had RAIN out the wazzoo, and needed to be addressed for safety.  No pools played the courses differently than the other pools, so even if you had different rules on Sunday you had the same rules as everyone in your division.

I know that DD has addressed the issue with him, and I personally feel bad that many visitors to KC had to endure this badgering of verbal abuse during what should be a fun time. 

I can't speak for DD, or Loomis, but I can speak for myself and the people that I know in Kansas City Disc Golf.  We apologize for the actions of the few that made the event less for you.

Overall that shouldn't ruin an event for anyone, for me it really did.  I though appreciated the time effort and energy displayed by DD to listen, recognize and appear to act in a sincere fashion to do what they could.  Unfortunately I was on the second to the last card so by the time I got to the park the damage was done.

Again, apologies from this guy for the behavior of a few that may not represent our best.  I personally hope that as you think about coming back to Kansas City you think about the golf action first in some respects, and then the people that you got to play with more than what a few may have done to not give you that warm welcome that we so attempt to achieve.

Kansas City has a lot of class act people, unfortunately in this instance it didn't shine through.  I know that I at times have also not been on my best, so it may be counted as a bad day, but we will work hard as a disc golf community to rebuild that trust and respect that we have worked hard to earn.

I encourage those of you with any concerns to address them with Scott directly, I know that he values that information and will use it to help formulate better ideas for the future events he runs.  Feedback positive and negative is the only way to improve.

You may have enjoyed the conversation with Loomis, I didn't.  If you did though, please don't hesitate to reach out to Scott and share your experience with him.  It will only help.

Outside of the issues on that, and of course my play.  I really enjoyed the format, the courses, the work that went into the event, and I look forward to seeing more events along these lines.

Thanks to everyone DD, KCFDC, and countless volunteers and sponsors for an event of this size, growing pains will happen.  And then the clothes will fit better next time.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Utz

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
The smoking ban was handed down from DD.
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

DDKC

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
The smoking ban was handed down from DD.

DD had NO knowledge of the smoking rule given until well after it was being told.
Scott Reek
Dynamic Discs Kansas City

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
I think the majority of what is being discussed on here needs to be taken offline.  If you have an issue, discuss it with Dynamic Discs and the tournament director.  What's done is done and is in the past.  I'm sure there are appeals processes with the PDGA that can take place here if needed.  I believe the other items discussed have also been handled at this point by DD.  It is becoming a rant and we need to move on.

Thanks for putting on another event in KC.  While hiccups happen, just know that we as a whole appreciate an organization putting on competitive events for us to compete in, amateur and professional alike. 
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

Utz

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
This is a public forum. Outside of the limited set of rules for language/personal info/etc you can post what you want. I'm just regurgitating what Loomis said to us.  Might as well ban smoking/vapor too though.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:22:26 PM by Utz »
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
This is a public forum. Outside of the limited set of rules for language/personal info/etc you can post what you want. I'm just regurgitating what Loomis said to us.  Might as well ban smoking/vapor too though.

Loomis made many comments that weren't directly from the TD, hence an issue I had before I threw disc one.  Also my posting here was directly aimed at him, not DD or the TD as I had candid conversations about this.

This is one issue that I had that I couldn't get over was his inability to admit error in the comments he was giving us in a most unprofessional manner.

I will say it again, I have been playing for about 35 years now, and NEVER have I felt that abused, upset and angry before I threw a disc at an event.  I knew that what he was spewing was wrong, and his effacing of the rules was just something that as a TD of multiple Worlds, TD for multiple NT's, as a former PDGA Marshal, and finally as an ambassador of disc golf in Kansas City just made me sick.  Hence my comments.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Although i will again state....SCOTT handled it professionally, and listened, and encouraged information about the situation.  I would encourage you to talk with him about as well, as I know personally he listens and works hard to improve the experience.  He has proven that over the past 2+ years that he has worked hard to earn himself a wonderful reputation in our community.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"