Author Topic: 2014 Midwest Amateur Championships - PDGA B Tier - Kansas City - August 2/3  (Read 8307 times)

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
I understand what a public forum is and how it works.  I am certainly not validating what occurred nor do I disagree with people being upset after hearing what happened.  I just think there are better ways to handle these situations directly.   

Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
I agree, and I am guilty.  The fact remains, that we played a version of the courses that we never had, it was well planned and meticulous in so many areas, it needs to be said that a lot was done right, and the rest is going to be chalked up as a learning experience that I am confident will be repaired as they continue to improve the events and our experiences.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
I just didn't want this event thread to be full of complaints and no compliments.  Yes, there were things that went wrong that needed to be addressed; it sounds like they were.  There were also 280+ competitors coupled with a different teeing format, weather issues and course layouts that were foreign to most as you said, Jack.  That being said we all just need to be cognizant of how hard it is to put something like that on.  Good reviews are just as deserved as the bad reviews that I've read and heard so far.  Anyway, I've made my point and pretty much just echoed Jack's post.  Hooray for disc golf in KC!
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

LKillian

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
I think this is all a clever governmental type distraction to shift our focus from the real story of the tourney.

That the dude who won has over 10 grand in career earnings, including multiple pro master wins this year. Shame on him. I was feeling guilty about potentially playing (with my career $50 earnings) and i suck.
Cooter was here.

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
I'm with Lee, how is someone who is designated on the pdga classification as a professional and who has multiple wins and an large amount of cash from those wins able to play in an Am only tournament? He wasn't in my division so I'm just asking out of curiosity. Although I would be pissed if I had been beat by him. Just wondering how that works and why it was ok for him (and at least one other open masters player) to play this event.  Again, not a criticism, just asking for clarification.
PDGA 39363

thankyoupeter

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
I think this is all a clever governmental type distraction to shift our focus from the real story of the tourney.

That the dude who won has over 10 grand in career earnings, including multiple pro master wins this year. Shame on him. I was feeling guilty about potentially playing (with my career $50 earnings) and i suck.

Yeah I can tell you there was some grumbling about that at the top of the advanced men division.  However, the bottom line is that he was eligible to play based on the current rules and shot lights out the second round, so not going to complain about someone playing within the rules. 

That being said, I would like to see the PDGA rules modified to avoid this type of action in the future, but I understand there are challenges involved. 

thankyoupeter

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
I'm with Lee, how is someone who is designated on the pdga classification as a professional and who has multiple wins and an large amount of cash from those wins able to play in an Am only tournament? He wasn't in my division so I'm just asking out of curiosity. Although I would be pissed if I had been beat by him. Just wondering how that works and why it was ok for him (and at least one other open masters player) to play this event.  Again, not a criticism, just asking for clarification.

If you're classified as a pro, but rated under 970, you can play in non-major AM events.  If you've never accepted cash or registered as a professional, you can continue to play AM regardless of your rating.  That's why there are always lots of guys who get up to 980-1000 but never take cash, play AM worlds, then turn pro. 

Utz

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Seeking: Chains
    • View Profile
Nah, since he placed above me, I'd like to take any action possible to get him removed and my finishing place bumped up.
Every putt, every time.
PDGA #50650
KCFDC #831

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
as a pro who chose to volunteer, shame on those pros who sharked the ams -  and they should remain in the am ranks for a minimum 6 years or refuse cash for 6 years. otherwise a great tournament as usual from scott and dd. ps I have zero am wins and or any other kind of std.
espouse elucidation

jllzpf

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
I played on Chris's card in the final round and he was just making shots.  There was nothing about his play that was unbeatable, he just got the 2's he needed by making long putts and playing conservatively when he should.  I saw him miss as many long putts as he made.  Although he plays pro and has won money over the years playing disc golf, I didn't see him as being any better than some of the AM players I know.  It was fun to watch him get excited about every good shot and made putt.  He just had a good day.  It was just another challenge.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Claring is OLD!  ;D

Nothing prevents him from playing in the event accordingly, look at quite a few of the top players there.  Many "pros" were playing in this event, because the rules allow them to.

It raises the level of competition to a certain respect as well, playing with Claring (personally one of the better guys out there and a very good golfer) will only improve your own mental fortitude to prepare to play at the next level which is really what I think that this event is striving for.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

kidmills

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
i would love to hear loomis side of the story,loomis,loomis..............loomis

Steve the Quiz Berry

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
 ::)   Under the conditions..pouring rain..Loomis did a pretty good job actually....The smoking ban. I was smoke free entire round, but I did see plenty of people smoking.I saw one player with a dog..thought that was against rules.Gum should be banned...no body likes stepping in gum...

SteelerDoug

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
::)   Under the conditions..pouring rain..Loomis did a pretty good job actually....The smoking ban. I was smoke free entire round, but I did see plenty of people smoking.I saw one player with a dog..thought that was against rules.Gum should be banned...no body likes stepping in gum...

Please, don't start giving him some credit.  He knew exactly what he was doing.  The PDGA clearly has rules and regulations for inclement weather.  We didn't need to hear his version nor his delivery, added prose and indiscretions of other players too, added on.

An explanation is not warranted.

An apology is - to the entire disc golf community of the 2014 MAC @ Waterworks.

thankyoupeter

• Am Poster
    • View Profile

Please, don't start giving him some credit.  He knew exactly what he was doing.  The PDGA clearly has rules and regulations for inclement weather.  We didn't need to hear his version nor his delivery, added prose and indiscretions of other players too, added on.

An explanation is not warranted.

An apology is - to the entire disc golf community of the 2014 MAC @ Waterworks.

I don't know........