Author Topic: Traveling to Austin, TX  (Read 246 times)

Bill the TD

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Traveling to Austin, TX
« on: May 01, 2014, 09:48:50 AM »
I have to go to Austin next week for work but I should have a free evening to play so I was looking for suggestions of which courses I should visit.
Thanks Bill

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Traveling to Austin, TX
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 10:50:59 AM »
Travis County East Metro course. Worth the adventure.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

pmart

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 11:33:51 AM »
I'll play along.  My favorites in no particular order with qualifiers:

MetCenter:  this had a very unique "meadow" feeling, kind of cool, very long, sorta challenging.

Austin Ridge Bible Church:  perhaps the most elevation of the better courses in town.  Rough, rugged, very challenging.

Circle C Metro Park @ Slaughter Creek:  one of the prettier courses in town.  decent challenge but I would say the aesthetics are what this course is about.  I remember leaving this course saying that was pretty.  Austin is not particularly a beautiful place, the courses are predominantly dirt, dry grass, thick short trees, rocky, thorns and cactus, etc.  This one had green grass, whoa!

Roy G:  polarizing course.  Great holes, bad holes.  Beautifully designed holes and horribly designed holes.  The whole thing was a tale of two stories.  It was still a good enough course though that I could recommend it.

East Metro: Perhaps the most well-rounded of all the Austin courses I have played.  It had beauty, elevation, challenge, and was well designed. 

I can't rank them in order cuz that's biased, but if I only had one round to play I would perhaps choose East Metro or Circle C Metro.  Hope this helps.  By the way, none of these courses are like courses here so any of them would be a unique experience for you, have fun.

AdamC

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 01:34:12 PM »
Got to play Austin Bible and Roy G this week.

Austin Bible was really fun.  Tight and technical, very rocky terrain and pretty challenging.  Very hard course to navigate if by yourself, pay attention to tee signs indicating next pad location. 

Roy G is very long, and consists of many ~600 foot tunnel shots if that interests you.  I would say roller city, but the grass was unkept and wading knee deep in weeds on the fairway isn't uncommon.  Hopefully they mow it often as I felt I would have enjoyed it much more if maintained.

Dale W

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 08:11:48 PM »
Circle C, East Metro, and Austin Bible were three of my favorites when I was there last year.  If you play Austin Bible, make sure you have your most sturdy hiking boots available....it makes Water Works look like a smooth piece of glass.  What ever you do, make sure you keep it in the fairway cause it is a wall of thorns if you miss it.
Sorry to hear about your luck!!!   :P

dan howard

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • Vivid Earth Tie Dyes
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 09:39:11 PM »
Play the Met Center, a great John Houck designed course, plenty of variety in shots but lacking in elevation. I enjoyed this one a lot more than RoyG and both Metro's.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 07:35:14 AM »
Met Center was a waste of time for me. I mentioned this on a facebook post at some point and was slammed by some locals. It made me laugh.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist