Author Topic: Stance Violation (jump putt) at the 2014 Memorial  (Read 290 times)

bbjon

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Stance Violation (jump putt) at the 2014 Memorial
« on: May 12, 2014, 03:31:34 PM »
I was watching this video of the 2014 Memorial, Round 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGaECOh5seQ

At 3:52 into the video I saw Nate Doss throw a jumping putt.  I was curious why no one saw/called him on this?  I thought maybe he was warned off screen, so I continued watching.  At 10:45, I see again what looks like a jumping putt  thrown by Nate Doss. 

PDGA Rule 802.04, Throwing From a Stance, B, "When the disc is released, a player must: 1) Have at least one supporting point that is contact with the lie". 

Am I misinterpreting this rule, or is this a case of no one noticing, or wanting to call him on it?
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

thankyoupeter

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Stance Violation (jump putt) at the 2014 Memorial
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 03:39:55 PM »
He still has a supporting point on the ground behind his lie just before he releases the disc. 

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 03:40:59 PM »
Both putts were also outside 10m.
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

bbjon

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 03:58:52 PM »
I watched the rest of the video, and it looks like Nikko does it a couple of times also.
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 04:07:08 PM »
These types of calls essentially require a blatant error in timing made by the putter to be seen in real time. 

I see way more 'falling putts' inside 10m than I see stance violations on a jump putts outside 10m.  Plenty of folks (mostly Ams) out there fail to establish balance before proceeding forward.  They just putt and keep on walking toward the basket w/o stopping.
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 05:26:37 PM »
Try throwing a putt after you jumped.  You will see that in order to have any type of pattern of flight, it will be released prior to leaving the ground.

Also the definition of a putt is:

Putt
    Any throw from 10 meters or less as measured from the rear of the marker disc to the base of the target.

D.
Putting: Any throw from within 10 meters of the target, as measured from the rear of the marker disc to the base of the target, is a putt. Supporting point contact closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc after the disc has been released is a stance violation. The player must demonstrate full control of balance before advancing toward the target.

Again though go try and throw a disc while in Mid-Air, the chances are probably about 5% that you will get any type of energy behind it.  You need to have that foot planted on the release which is what happens almost always.  Thus the 5% rule...could you call it....probably, but video evidence is NOT allowed at this point, so it is very subjective as to the ruling of a stance violation on a jump putt.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 10:52:22 PM »
if you want to see stance violations called : play on my card. y'all toe job your mini or release as your toe lands. calling it is part of the game, very rarely does someone call a violation on themselves unfortunately. I heard a Feldberg quote saying he knows his jump putt is legal by a ten thousandth of a second cuz he watched a slo mo video. cracks me up if he thinks he's even legal 50% of the time when his eyes are on the basket. watch them players, esp if they have a history of jump putting
espouse elucidation

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 06:47:08 PM »
He does have a supporting point on the ground upon release, however; the SP is his right foot but his left foot is the one behind his lie. that's the only violation I see.
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...