Author Topic: Best 3 courses in town?  (Read 573 times)

KCVisitor

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Best 3 courses in town?
« on: June 23, 2014, 11:51:03 AM »
Hi KC,

We are excited to road trip to your city in a few days. We are SUPER excited to check out water works. Wanted to hear thoughts on other courses we should check out, we probably have 3 or maybe 4 courses we can hit?

Blue Valley sounded good. So did Rosedale. We typically shoot mid 50s to mid 60s from am tees on courses like http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=210 and http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=645
and we are always up for a good challenge like http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5189 and http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=386

Thanks much for your thoughts!

SteelerDoug

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Best 3 courses in town?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 12:21:02 PM »
My recommendations are as follows:

For BEST variety:
1.  Waterworks - is like "Elver Park" - for obvious reasons, plenty of shade too.

2.  Rosedale - "most played course in KC" - (on top if you want to play along side the woods), or play the "Down Under" course, is like "Elver Park" too, a course to play amongst the trees.

3.  Swope "is like "Hiestand Park" - "Gully disc golf" amongst the trees, but not as tight as Rosedale "Down Under".  Plenty of shade too.

For ARM IT OUT...
1.  Wyco
2.  Blue Valley

When are you arriving?  If it works out with my schedule, might be able to play a round or two with you.

D Craft

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 12:31:48 PM »
Rosedale has two courses.  An upper course and a lower course (Called "Down Under") Upper is a great balanced course, some open, some wooded.  Lower course is all wooded. shorter and more technical.  Rosedale is also centrally located.  Probably the most popular course because of it's location. Great course all around.

One of my favorites is Lakeside (Birdland): http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6062 Longer course, good elevation changes. Great mix of open and wooded. A bit of a drive depending on your location.

Classic and popular one is Swope Park: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1890. Also a good location but a shorter more open course.

If you like the cool courses I would recommend Wilbur Young (The Youngle) http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3956 Shorter but heavily wooded. Also a bit of a drive but a fun newer course.

Just my opinion. Hope that helps.
"No matter what I do, I always feel better when I stop doing it"

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 01:04:19 PM »
Not one mention of Cliff Drive?  The all-around, most scenic, challenging, fun course in town.  Mix of wooded and open bomber holes, with fewer crowds.  IMOP, play Cliff Drive over Rosedale, unless you want to take all day waiting on 8-somes in front of you that will be oblivious to letting you play through. 
Joe Hesting

KCVisitor

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 01:12:10 PM »
Awesome stuff, thanks much for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

We were assuming some of the courses would be busy on the weekend, so wanted to hit as many courses Thursday afternoon and Friday as possible, when hopefully fewer crowds will be out.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »
Cliff Drive always gets my vote when these questions come up. I agree completely with Joe (White McCoy).

Water Works is a must play. That leaves you lots of choices for other courses to play and they're all good....   8)

Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 02:02:39 PM »
Hopefully the baskets will be replaced today at Cliff Drive.  We pulled them for the great KC Bike Race this past weekend.  I will make sure that they get replaced tomorrow if they don't do it today, but chances are they got them up today again.

I love Madison courses as well.  I think that I will be attending the Mad City Open again after probably a 10 year hiatus.  It typically is on the same weekend as the Lion's Den Open here in KC, and well that one is kinda special.  This year it is a week earlier (Aug 18th) so the trek is looking like a possibility!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

KCVisitor

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »
Hopefully the baskets will be replaced today at Cliff Drive.  We pulled them for the great KC Bike Race this past weekend.  I will make sure that they get replaced tomorrow if they don't do it today, but chances are they got them up today again.

I love Madison courses as well.  I think that I will be attending the Mad City Open again after probably a 10 year hiatus.  It typically is on the same weekend as the Lion's Den Open here in KC, and well that one is kinda special.  This year it is a week earlier (Aug 18th) so the trek is looking like a possibility!

Nice. There is a new course in town, Capital Springs, but IMO it's very pretty but not challenging unless the wind is really blowing. Lots of wide open stuff: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6294

Assuming you've played Token Creek (Vallarta-Ast) before? That's the best course here. A somewhat hidden gem just out of town is Bird's Ruins, it gets a fraction of the traffic as the courses in the city which is a shame because it's a fantastic course. Bring every shot you have when playing there. If I could only play two courses here, they would be Token and Bird's: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4800

Dale W

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 03:28:06 PM »
The complex in Smithville (about 20 min north of downtown on 169) at Smithville Lake is a MUST play.  Three courses (par 56, 58, and 61)  It costs $5 to get in, but is well worth it.  All three have a great mix of woods and open holes.  If you miss the fairway, be warned----the grass is tall (they bail it in the late summer).  Blackthorn (the middle course) is one of the best courses in the area.  Other than those, I'd recommend Birdland (Lakeside Hills) in Olathe and Legacy in Lees Summit.  If you want 3 close, Blackthorn and Woodhenge in Smithville and Jesse James Park in Kearney would all be a great combination of open holes and wooded on the same course.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 03:31:33 PM by Dale W »
Sorry to hear about your luck!!!   :P

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 06:49:19 PM »
I'm with Kevin and Joe. Cliff Drive offers the most variety and is a lot of fun. I would also cast a vote for Lakeside Hills in Olathe. Nothing like playing on an old ball golf course. Great elevation. The Smithville suggestion is a good option too.
PDGA 39363

Hammertree

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 09:54:37 PM »
Cliff Drive is in my top 3 in KC. i LOVE that course, 19 holes of greatness (hole 8 has 2 baskets, two pin placements move and one is an optional hanging basket- we always throw two off the tee). views to rival Water Works. just all around legit, really. #4 is my favorite hole in the city.

my other two favorites are Water Works and Wilbur Young. Young is designed as a blue level course, and i will have it set pretty hard by thursday. very technical and made to drive you insane.  ;D it's on a cool looking piece of land with neat-o trees through out the course. two ponds and elevation change to boot.

if you want a local to throw with at any of these places hit me up on here or call or text me 816*797*6764. i'd be more than happy to be a make shift host of sorts. hope you have a fantastic time!
"do you see what happens, Larry?"

pmart

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 11:21:10 PM »
In order of awesomeness:
1a.  Water Works
1b.  Blue Valley (***disclaimer:  This course is epic in so many ways.  It is long, grueling, big elevation, beautiful, and challenging but it is not for everyone.  People in town either love it or hate it and most of those who don't like it mention length as their biggest detractor)  You'll have to decide whether length is something you like in a disc golf course.  If it is still available, you can get the hole lengths and layout for this and several other courses at the Kansas City Wide Open website, which could prove helpful as you are new to these courses.
2.  Smithville Lake Complex (Woodhenge and Blackthorn only)
3.  Cliff Drive
4.  Birdland (Lakeside Hills)
5.  Wilbur Young
6.  Swope
7.  Rosedale Down Under ONLY  (IMO the upper course is underwhelming, usually trashy, not worth the playing time if you only have two days in KC [not trying to be offensive, this is just my opinion])
8.  WyCo
9.  Legacy

There are many other good courses in town but these are my favorite....for right now.  Enjoy your time in KC and have fun!

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 08:45:46 AM »
Played Tokken a few times, including year 1 up there.  I haven't been up there probably in close to 10 years now, so Bird's Ruin it is I will take a peek if I get up there.  I know that the Dirty Birds on this forum are probably already flocking at the idea of how to play another BIRD course.

Bottom line, we have many great places to play.  2-3 days won't cut it.  Come play what you read looks to be good, and then plan another trip back to the area to play different ones.

Baskets were back in at Cliff as well, so everything should be set.

As for maps, many of the courses in the listing below will have a sticky for the maps.  Some are slightly outdated, but we haven't really shaken up too many courses from what you may see on there for now.

Enjoy.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 09:27:15 AM »
Just realized that another one of the best courses in town is on private property and can only be played on Charity events...which is happening this Saturday the 28th.  The first ever singles event to take place at Thornfield.  If you are in town you should definitely take part in this.  The course is pretty amazing.  It's worth the $25. 

http://www.tomkarlinfoundation.com/events

Joe Hesting

SteelerDoug

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 10:22:28 AM »
* * * From the archives.  Thanks to Dick Parker for these poll results * * *

With all the new data added this is the most current...

TOP TEN LIST!!!!!!
# 10  Shawnee Mission Park - Just beating out William Yates Elementary by 3 points!
#  9   Pleasant Hill - With its new layout I'd guess this one could get some new votes in the future
#  8   Prairie Center - Another of those courses "Soon to Change" I'm curious where this will fall
#  7   Down Under (rosy) - Bring out your Roc's and Putters for this one
#  6   Blue Valley - Are we there yet????  N E E D W A T E R
#  5   WYCO - Possibly the most beautiful park in Kansas City Kansas
#  4   Swope - The oldest course in KC
#  3   UP TOP (rosy) - Where EVERYONE goes .. EVERYONE.. seriously, go to another park once a while.
#  2   Cliff Drive - NO TPADS??? AND ITS # 2!!!!!!   You people are drunk

and the # 1 course to play while in Kansas City........
(drumroll.....)

#  1  WATER WORKS PARK - Folks if you haven't played this course yet then you're missing out on what a 3 time World Champion (no barry)((who did that?)) calls one of his FAVORITE courses in America!!!

Thanks to everyone who put in their input so far.  As I get more data I will update this list for whatever purpose it may serve in the future...

dick <- NO CAPS (whos rewriting my stuff?)
Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 05:11:34 PM by dickthediscparker
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

http://kcfdc.org/forum/index.php?topic=2417.msg14252#msg14252