Author Topic: Local courses  (Read 482 times)

philly8924

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Local courses
« on: July 10, 2014, 09:51:43 AM »
Are there courses around KC that cost to play? My friend and I are planning a disc golf weekend, and wondering which courses cost and which are free.  Also, so far we only have played Rosedale, Swope, and Shawnee Mission.  What courses are must-throw? Thanks! 

jhinck2

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Local courses
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 10:00:22 AM »
KC is free to play except for Old Pike up in the Northland which is $5 per day daily fee.  I'm not sure what kind of courses you are looking to play, but we have quite the selection.  If you're looking to stay close to the city-center, then WaterWorks is a must play in addition to Cliff Drive (best courses in town in my opinion).  If you're on the Kansas side of things, head out to Olathe and play Lakeside and Prairie Center (also Wyandotte County Park is in Bonner Springs if you want to stretch out your arm a bit).  If you're looking on the east side, give Wilbur Young Park and Legacy Park a shot (Blue Valley as well if you REALLY want to stretch out your arm).  If you don't want to drive between courses and have time to make it up to Smithville, play the three courses up there that wrap around Smithville Lake.  They are AMAZING courses and will certainly live up the expectations you have for Kansas City Disc Golf.  Enjoy!
Jordan Hinck
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

biscuit

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 10:00:45 AM »
Water Works
KCFDC#1377
PDGA#67008

philly8924

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 10:21:12 AM »
Those Smithville Lake courses look intense.  I'd be so scared of losing discs in the water! :S

Dooug

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 01:41:44 PM »
If you don't want to drive between courses and have time to make it up to Smithville, play the three courses up there that wrap around Smithville Lake.  They are AMAZING courses and will certainly live up the expectations you have for Kansas City Disc Golf.  Enjoy!

https://www.claycountymo.gov/Parks/Smithville_Lake/Disc_Golf

https://www.claycountymo.gov/@api/deki/files/4976/=score_cardsAflat_Page_1.jpg

Beaver Creek - White Course, Par 56.  (A great warm up course)
Immediately after the guard shack, turn right on Beach Road and then your first left onto Shelter road. Stay to the right hook and drive to Shelter one.

Black Thorn - Blue Course, Par 56-60.  (Woods are awesome)
After the guard shack take your first right and head toward Shelter 2. The first hole is just North of the parking lot shooting down the hill.

Woodhenge - Yellow Course, Par 62-65.  (Time to arm it out and enjoy the lake views)
After the guard shack continue forward (left at the first fork) and go to the marina. The first hole starts down the hill behind the bathroom on the north side of the back parking lot.

Note: At the bottom of each basket is a pointer to the next tee-pad.
$5 fee for each vehicle entry.

Local Directions: 169 North to 180th Street
Go East, the only way you can turn and stay straight (DO NOT CURVE LEFT ON F) until you enter in to Little Platte Park.  Enter at the guard shack.