Author Topic: Discs for Kids  (Read 375 times)

Zier

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Discs for Kids
« on: July 22, 2014, 10:07:58 PM »
Hey,

I recently had some company in town which included a seven year old. He got really excited when he saw the basket in my yard and exclaimed that he has played "frisbee golf" at Boy Scouts camp. We threw a lot of puts around the back yard.  I was thinking that the next time we go up to visit them I would bring a few discs as a gift for him to use, and hopefully grow into.

I did a little bit of preliminary research and saw that the EDGE series is a good set of beginner and kid discs, but also noticed that they don't seem readily available. What kind of discs would you recommend, and how many do you really think he would need? I was thinking two or three discs would be an acceptable startup since he's so young and can't throw far.

Thoughts?

ekolk

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Discs for Kids
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 12:18:10 AM »
Putters, Mids, Fairway Drivers.  Local boy scout troops include disc golf as a badge. Anyone involved with Scouts may know. Fred Smith:) But yeah, maybe Aviars, Wizards, Buzzes, Stingray, Cobra, Roc, Valkyrie, etc. all in lower weights. You know, the same discs in my bag  ;D

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 11:00:01 AM »
Talk to the stores, DGW about putting an EDGE kit together would be ideal.  THey know what they are, and may be able to order it if you needed it.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

D Craft

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 01:01:45 PM »
Latitude has a line of easy to use discs that are mostly lightweight.  Got some for my son (8 Years) and he loves them.

http://www.latitude64.se/easy-to-use.html
"No matter what I do, I always feel better when I stop doing it"

Zier

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 03:12:17 PM »
All good Advice.

Eric, I'll be at Waterworks league this week. I expect to see you throw a 150g Valkyrie all night. To be fair, I don't know many people who throw a Valkyrie as well as you and make it look so effortless.

D Craft, I'll definitely look at the Latitude line of discs, seem lightweight and if they work for your eight year old will be about the right speed (I hope). I'm not even sure how often he will use them, but he had fun at my house.

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 03:27:06 PM »
Innova's line of StarLite discs are a excellent option. Review the Disc Selection Charts on http://www.innovadiscs.com/downloads/disc-selection-charts.html to find the [L] indicating StarLite models  ;D

Full DISClosure: this reply posted by an Innova Ambassador  ;)
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

D Craft

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 04:51:33 PM »
Discraft is coming out with a new Z-Lite line of discs.  I am sure a buzz will be part of it so probably light enough for kids.
"No matter what I do, I always feel better when I stop doing it"