Author Topic: Cliff Drive History  (Read 241 times)

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Cliff Drive History
« on: July 26, 2014, 12:51:37 AM »
On Thursday my wife and I celebrated our anniversary by visiting some KC spots tha we hadn't been to before. I finally got to your the boulevard brewery and taste some unreleased selections ( they have a really good spiced saison in the works. Just FYI). Then we drove over to Cliff Drive to visit the Kansas City Museum at Corinthian Hall. I had never been over there except to play the course. I already love cliff drive course because it feels old and has a lot of character. But after touring the Robert E Long Mansion and hearing the history surrounding the park and that neighborhood it made me love it even more. Being  from Olathe all I really see most days is suburb life with very little character and history. Maybe that's why I enjoyed the history lesson so much. If none of you have visited this museum you need to do it! I guess it used to be a science museum but now they are in the process of restoring it to it's original glory. The tour was free and very educational and interesting. I know the rep cliff drive gets is that it's in the ghetto but I no longer view it this way. This course shares a very rich history as part of a Kansas City area that seems forgotten but is very cool. If you are bored some day and aren't out playing I highly encourage anyone who enjoys history, or architecture, or just hearing about how cool our city is to go check this place out. You can find details online.
PDGA 39363

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Cliff Drive History
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 02:42:41 PM »
Nice to hear the museum is back open. I took the family there a couple years ago, while the renovations were still going on. They did have a few activities for the kids to do, but the reopening was still a couple years away so most everything was closed to the public at the time. I will definitely have to make plans to take the full tour one of these days. Thanks, Anthony! 8)
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 08:49:07 AM »
The more you learn about the area you will get sad, and wonder how it is neglected by so many.  It is very rich in history, and really is one of the last places in the KC area that you can come in and impact the area for the positive.

There is a lot of individuals that share this knowledge and excitement of the area for certain.  One of the plans that I am working on will include a disc golf course to the east of the Museum, a little 6 hole, possibly 9 that will adjoin to the next 18 holes.  It needs support of the people though and really it is sad, but people don't help as much as they play.

We have done a lot of work as an organized body to help reinvigorate the area for certain.  That is why more and more eyes are on it.  That has been now over 15 years that we started to use the land for disc golf, pre-social media.  If we had the social media that there is today, people wouldn't believe what has transpired on just the disc golf course alone.

As we continue to work to improve the existing course I am reminded of all the trash that we took out initially.  Though at times Cliff appears "trashy" to some, it generally can be cleaned up in an hour or so in the area that has been littered.  That used to take 2-3 days to remove all the trash.

You are correct though, the history of the area beyond even the Long Family Museum at Corinthian Hall is but a small aspect of the history, culture, and heritage that the area has to offer.

Thanks for the time to visit the area, I know many appreciate it, and sharing it helps us all!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 06:39:35 PM »
I saw a report that community leaders are talking about closing the gates full time at Cliff due to constant dumping. If this goes through will it affect our use of the park?
Steven Disc Glover

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 09:42:30 AM »
I am completely against it.

Said community leaders really think that they are doing all this work that is new to them, and old hat to us.

The bottom line is this, Brett Shoffner (ERTA-Trails why we are adjusting the course and losing a couple of holes) has a lot of energy.  That energy is very similar to the energy that I brought there back when we started to remove all the trash, all the honeysuckle, etc....  So what he is not wanting to see or the thought is that closing the gates will deter dumping.

As we are painfully aware of dumping will continue.  When the gates are closed, they will dump along the roads that don't require access...think disc golf area......so I envision it being a more problematic issue with regards to the work that we will be needing to do. 

Now over time we have been able to continue to work the land so that as dumping occurs we can generally get it out quickly.  So there is some merit in the notion that having it cleaned helps to remove it faster.  That though also presents another challenge for me on a personal note.  It is Cliff Drive, it is not Cliff Trail, not Cliff Walk, not Cliff Ride.  I moved to the area because of that drive, and closing it will impact people that don't know about it, all they will see is gates closed, and wonder....hmmm....and go do something different.

I am fearful that closing the gates will create an elitist atmosphere and not conducive to the overall betterment of the park.

And I get where Brett is coming from.  He is working on areas that we worked on and walked away from, he is seeing things that are new to him, and old to me.  So maybe his energy is better served to make this happen as he doesn't have time constraints that I have now.  I don't know, but I do know that many reading this helped over the past 15 years to build a better place to play.  I also know that at no point did we think that closing the gates permanently was the idea to fix the issue.

Education and enforcement are the answers, but we don't seem to have the civic leaders and authority enforcing that.

So I for one am against the petition to close the gates permanently.  If there was a timeline stated for an actual cleanup and start and end objective I may be more on board.  Right now I am not.

Infact I am hesitant to work a new disc golf course into the mix until this subject is put to rest.  A disc golf course that you have to walk over a mile to get to isn't exactly the way I want to invite people to play, and that would be required or the building of another parking lot, taking away green space which I already think is a bad idea.

Now to do something great this weekend, come out and help at Cliff to get us ready for the Lion's Den Open.  That you can count on to be a fun and energetic event.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"