Author Topic: ATTENTION INDEPENDENCE DISC GOLFERS  (Read 615 times)

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
ATTENTION INDEPENDENCE DISC GOLFERS
« on: July 31, 2014, 10:23:41 AM »
John Theiss and I have been in contact with Independence Parks and Recreation and have begun discussion about putting a course in somewhere in town.  As many of you know, there is a LOT of work that goes into putting in a disc golf course and it takes a LOT of time and energy to get it done.  Parks and Rec wants to gauge interest in disc golf by having as many Independence disc golfers attend a meeting on August 12th.  The city already has some temporary baskets in storage, so they plan to bring one of those baskets along to the meeting and present it (disc golf) along with what has already been done with regards to a course installation to those in attendance.  So, we need as many Independence disc golfers as possible to attend this meeting and show their support.  I think it is OK for local residents of other towns to be in attendance as well if you feel so moved.  The emphasis, though, is to see how many local players there are and what the need and desire is for a course.

The meeting will be held at the Sermon Center at 6:00 PM on August 12th.  The address for the Sermon Center is as follows:

201 North Dodgion Street
Independence, MO 64050

So, call your friends & family if they play and are Independence residents and do your best to get them to this meeting.  If there is a desire for a course and a core group of residents who will continually support the course and its upkeep, I think we have a good shot at getting a course put in (P.S. I have certainly made mention of the club and KCFDC's efforts in course upkeep, collaboration, etc).  The location is still under discussion, but this is the first step.  I am very excited for this opportunity and am hopeful that you are as well.  I know that the forum will only reach a handful of Independence players, so I need your help in spreading the word.  August 12, 6:00 PM, let's make it happen.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 10:26:44 AM by jhinck2 »
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

kcRhyno

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: ATTENTION INDEPENDENCE DISC GOLFERS
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 03:32:46 PM »
Very cool. How late can we show up?  I will be busy until about 7:15 that night , but want to see a course in my city.
Ryan "Rhyno" Westa
Do everyone a favor, pick up at least one piece of trash during every round.

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 03:41:33 PM »
Very cool. How late can we show up?  I will be busy until about 7:15 that night , but want to see a course in my city.

I am not sure what the meeting agenda is.  I would say show up unless you hear otherwise from me! 
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 04:58:32 PM »
Bam!
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36, 23, 32, 33, 57
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

showmeDoug

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 09:38:53 PM »
I'll be there for sure! Any clues as to where they are looking to put the course?
I like BIG putts.

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 10:27:55 PM »
I'll be there for sure! Any clues as to where they are looking to put the course?

Sites are still being looked at. John and I had pitched Van hook, but there are some potential issues there. Time will tell, but the first step is getting them and everyone else in indep thinking about disc golf. 
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

Mike Hyzer

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 05:45:23 PM »
John, I got your message, thanks. Obviously I would love to see a course in Independence, but I cannot attend the meeting due to work. There were times I used to look at maps of the city, trying to see where a good spot would be for a course. Hope you guys are successful in pitching the idea!
KCFDC #890
PDGA#55555

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 12:49:38 PM »
John, I got your message, thanks. Obviously I would love to see a course in Independence, but I cannot attend the meeting due to work. There were times I used to look at maps of the city, trying to see where a good spot would be for a course. Hope you guys are successful in pitching the idea!

If you have any buddies from Independence that would be able to come and would be willing to support the cause, please let them know.  I'd really like to blow them away with attendance if we can.  That being said, if anyone on the forum knows that they will be in attendance or plan to attend if their schedule allows, please either reply on this thread or send me a PM.  I'd like to get a headcount ahead of time if at all possible so I can set expectations with my contact at P&R.  Thanks again!
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

fatexpat

• Novice Poster
  • The Bigger Babbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 07:23:51 PM »
Count Babbit in.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 11:13:35 AM »
The Bigger Babbit has spoken. ;D
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 03:10:08 PM »
Shifting gears a little bit.  I know I strongly urged Independence residents in my original post as attendees to this meeting.  However, I'd like to show Indep Parks & Rec just how much support there is for another course in the metro.  If you live on the east side, the west side, the north side or the south side, please consider coming to this meeting and showing your support.  We need to show that the KCFDC is active and willing to take in yet another championship level course and work with the Parks & Rec department to ensure that it thrives.  I'd sure appreciate it!
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 08:19:52 AM »
BUMP!  This meeting is scheduled for tomorrow night at 6:00.  If possible, please come and show your support for an Independence championship level disc golf course!  If you have any questions, please feel free to post or PM me.  Thanks again!
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 08:06:23 AM »
LAST BUMP!  The meeting is tonight and I encourage as many of you to come as possible to support a disc golf course being installed in Independence.  The meeting is at 6:00 at the Sermon Center.  The address is previously noted in this thread.  Hope to see you there!
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

jhinck2

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 08:28:41 AM »
A BIG THANK YOU to those that were in attendance at the meeting last night.  I think we really showed our support with roughly 30 people in attendance.  As you can see, there are a few roadblocks and more than likely some time that has to elapse before this process can begin.  But, if we continue to show our interest and push for this, we can make it happen.  I'll post updates to this thread when they come up, but for now stay tuned. 

We will likely be having an "Independence Disc Golf Day" of sorts to show the park board commission, etc. our support and also show them how large of a community we really are.  I need to see what events we have on the calendar, but chances are this will take place sometime in October.  I'll keep you posted!
Jordan Hinck
Team Latitude 64
PDGA #45624
KCFDC #1339

showmeDoug

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 11:38:10 AM »
Good job Jordan and John, I'm excited that you guys got this project started!
I like BIG putts.